1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Noise - 1 day old Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mozart, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mozart

Mozart New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took the car from the dealer yesterday and when we started the car at the dealership, it was so quiet. We drove about 130 miles and came home and parked the car. After 4 hours started the new Prius to go for a short drive. This time there was a noticeable engine noise for 30/50 seconds. It did the same today as well.

Is this something common? The car has about 135 miles.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything like in this thread?
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...n-engine-knocking-startup-t-sb-0012-10-a.html

3. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds normal to me! When you picked it up at the dealer, probably, the car was warmed up, the battery charged. Then, at home, you turned on a cold car, which then intiated the warm up process to get the car to proper operating temperatures. I think your car is working just fine. I do believe I recall the manual informing that the car makes all sorts of strange and unusual noises and sounds. It's part and parcel of running a car as sophisticated and complex as a Prius. My amazement is that the darned thing actually works at all and reliably too!! Relax and enjoy your experience. I sure am enjoying the heck out of mine!!

4. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As Parnami has mentioned. If this is your first time with a Prius, one of the things you will find out is that the car does a maintenance run of the engine after a few seconds from pushing the 'Start' button. Even at speeds that you should be running on EV. If you are also starting in a cold environment, it will run the engine for a while to help get the cabin temperature up to get the battery at a more comfortable functioning temp.

One other thing you will need to understand. Since this is a new car for you, the car is going to start learning how you drive, so MPG may seem initially way off or way lower than you expect. Which means it will be retuning the engine, and may use more fuel initially while it is figuring how to optimize.

5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really? Is this in the manual? Not that I distrust you, but that's pretty cool and would like to verify that my Prius does this.

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...on/45271-how-what-does-prius-cpu-s-learn.html

So I may be incorrect, however, it is described by some as 'learning'. I would point to an NCIS episode about the Automous car. One of the things they show is one of the engineers tweaking the engine parameters by wire. This would technically be done by the car's computer to try and optimize certain things, and it will always require 'trial and error' to learn those particular tweaks to the engine to get the most out of it.

7. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I too am hearing what can only be discribes as a rattle vibration. Sounds like a heat sheild or baffel. Not so much an engine sound. I understand the 1.5 C motor has to work hard. But with the proper design should not have a exterior vibration issues. It is in the lower right side of the engine compartment, I am betting on exhaustheat shield related. I am going into the dealer this weekend to have it checked out. Better safe the stranded. Other wize I love the little gas saver. My first RED car.

8. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No problem having them check it out.

Under warranty bumper to bumper so it will only cost you the tiny amount of gas and your time.

9. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Well I took my car in for the rattle sound. I took the tech for a ride and he heard the sound. We both said it must be a exhaust heat shield. So I left the car. Thousand Oaks (CA) Toyota service took all day to fix the problem. I called them at 4:30 and they said they might have to have Toyota out to look at it because it is so new. (?) So I told them I would be there at 5:30 to pick up my car as they close at 6:00. When I got there the srevice guy had to go check on my car. I saw the tech and he said it was a heat shield hitting a metal transmission line. He said it was a simple fix. When I went to get in my car I could not see out the windows. They did the interior sealent and sprayed all the windows. I had the service guy have them pull it back in to clean the car up. When they brought it back out and I drove off, only the windshield was wiped. all the other windows were still fogged. but now my dash was covered in lint. The car was dirtier after I had it serviced then when I brought it in. My Honda dealer would send me emails listing what they were doing. emails when it was done and called me when it was done or to recommend other services. Then they would wash the car and give it back better then when I took it in. Thousand Oaks Toyota is missing the Mark and needs to step up there game. Oh the point of this was have them check the Exhaust Heat shield near the Trans cooling lines.

10. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Darn, sorry to hear about the bad service.

It seems like alot of folks either have a bad time or a great time.

By your post, it seems like they needed more time, and was rushed into
    letting the car go before they could finish...

Hey, just my opinion

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a new model, there are going to be "Things" that crop up. If the dealer wanted someone from Toyota Corporate take a look at something in or about the car, you should have asked for a loaner for the night.
    If you had, and had helped Toyota figure out a potential problem for others, you probably have come back to a spotless car!
    You did rush them!