1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine noise while accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AceWorthy, Nov 10, 2014.

1. AceWorthy

AceWorthy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

My 2010 Prius has been making an odd noisse intermittantly while accelerating. I haven't been able to reporduce it for the mechanics (of course). The best description I have for the noise is this. It sounds like the click/rattle sound a car makes when it is stalling. Just sped up. This can happen at any time I accelerate (even at highway speeds) but it usually happens just after I start moving from a stop. When it occurs it feels like there is a drop in engine power and I either have to take my foot off the accelerator, or push down harder and power through.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    do you have enough oil in the engine?

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could be anything or nothing.

A few more details about your car might help work this out; do you have 10,000 miles or 280,000 miles on the car, for example? What do you use the car for? Is it a lightly used second car or a taxi?

Could be pinking due to wrong or contaminated fuel. But it could be anything without knowing more. You gotta help us to help you (y)

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Dirty throttle body for the lack of power?

#4 mrbigh, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. AceWorthy

AceWorthy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

- My Prius has about 250000km on it (not sure what that is in miles) and I use it to drive to work (which is an hour away by highway).
    - Due to the mileage I do it is in for service about every other month so the oil is good. I also visually checked and the levels are good.
    - I always use the proper rated fuel at busy stations so the fuel should be good.

Another thing I forgot to mention; the issue seems to occur more often on cool, damp days.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they check it for trouble codes? maybe an injector service? have they cleaned the throttle body?

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah it could be anything at that mileage. Get the dealers to check codes as that will give a good indication of what's wrong. Could be a simple misfire due to a failing coil pack or spark plug or throttle body sensor. Maybe even a gummed up EGR valve. All these issues should show up as a code.

If you wanted instead, you could try some fuel system cleaner or check when your spark plugs were last changed etc, but you're probably best seeing your local friendly Toyota dealer.

8. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been having the same issue for at least 15k miles. Did you ever get it figured out? Mine happens after letting off the gas and slightly accelerating between 15-30mph. Every time. Rattle sounds from the passenger/glove box area. It's annoying and I'd like to see what you may have done to remedy the problem. Thanks

9. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: My rattle was diagnosed from Toyota as a loose strut bracket. It is still at the dealer. Will give an update once I get an opportunity to drive it. Working with ext. warranty so it's taking some time.

10. ilovegirls

ilovegirls Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What's a strut bracket? I have a weird rattle going over bumpy roads.

11. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it to be the top mount holding the strut in place. Toyota is also replacing the right lower control arm. Still waiting for repairs to be completed.