1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Oil & Filter Change Instruction from Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Changing the engine oil and filter is about as basic a DIY operation as there is, but there is always a lot of discussion about how to do it properly; such as, should the filler cap be removed before the drain plug is removed, etc. I came across the below "How to Replace The Engine Oil and Filter" on Toyota's official website and not having seen it on PriusChat I thought I would share it for what it is worth. Note that Step 4 of the below instruction does say to remove the oil filler cap before removing the drain plug.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/EngOil_Filter.pdf

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota's remiss in not including basic maintenance in the Owners Manual, IMO.

Regarding when to remove fill cap: I find it makes little/no difference.

Thanks for the link ;)

Den49 likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just loosen the cap before draining. Keeps from having debris fall in while I'm not looking...

4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whether you remove the cap or not, common sense dictates that if there is only one way in and one way out, be sure that you will be able to get the oil/fluid in before you take it out.

Same as locking yourself out of your house. Its not a big deal but could cost you more (time/money) than you had planned.