1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Overheating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CasperPrius, Jul 24, 2014.

1. CasperPrius

CasperPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here's my mystery: My 2009 Prius is overheating at times. I have a Scan Gauge connected and it normally shows an engine temp of 181-182 f. Rarely approaches 200. At times, it will go as high as 250 which brings on the red triangle and gong sound. If I start out cold (don't shut off the car during the trip), it will run perfectly for the entire time. Doesn't matter what the outside temp or whether running AC. If I stop for a couple mins and turn off the engine, then restart, it will misbehave and run all over the temp spectrum. I took it on a 1000 mi drive to Seattle in July. On the way there, I didn't notice any problems but it was rainy, cool and didn't run the AC much. Coming back was a different story. If I let it sit (powered off) for 15-20 mins or so, it will hold the correct temp. It's just when it sits (powered off) for brief periods (less than 10 mins) that it will act up. Another clue is that it cools going up hill and gets hotter going down. That seems contrary to the usual and only does that when acting up.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long has this been going on? How long have you owned the car? What maintenance have you done to it recently? Has the car actually overheated or it's just your scangauge telling you something is not right?

3. CasperPrius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've owned the car for over 2 years. No recent maintenance other than changing the oil. It has 63000mi on it. If the temp gets high enough, the car will gong and the red triangle comes on. I first notice it happen back in Feb on a trip to Salt Lake City. Cool temps out, no AC but all over the temp spectrum at times. The engine never seemed overheated when I'd check under the hood on the Seattle trip. Nothing boiling, steaming, etc. I've checked the belt to the water pump - it seems tight and in good shape. The reservoir is at the proper level.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you done the recall on the inverter? You should check the radiator coolant level, not just at the reservoir. Remove the radiator cap and see if the level is right. If it's low, add Toyota Super Long Life coolant.

5. CasperPrius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The reservoir behind the radiator looked empty. I previously assumed it was an overflow but noticed it had level markings. I just went over to the local Toyota dealer and bought a gallon of the super coolant. They topped off the tank for me - I'll see if that helps. It is confusing that there must be two separate cooling sys on these? The one reservoir up higher has always been full with the pink coolant. Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's a 100 degrees outside today so it will get a good test soon!

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take a look at the engine coolant pump, which is driven by the belt and pulley on the side of the engine. See if there is any sign of coolant leakage as indicated by pink buildup or splatters. You might have a slight leak that over time created your overheating. The symptom of overheating being different going up and going down would seem to be an indication of low coolant.

7. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reservoir high up is for the inverter; one under the front guard is for the ICE.

Check for play in your water pump....just grab the pulley and move it back and forth. That will most likely be the source of your leak.

Not a bad fix; took about an hour and cost $100 (pump $55, coolant $40)....bleeding it will take another hour.

Faz

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Casper,

You need to check the coolant level at the radiator itself! Ignore the bottle. Once it is dry, you have to refill the entire system (radiator, bottle AND bleed the air out). Just putting the SLLC in the bottle is NOT sufficient.

Lots of info here on Prius Chat about how to bleed the system. Remember the radiator is divided into two sections. One part is for the ICE. The other part is for the inverter.

Here is a pic of what the radiator should look like when it is full. If yours doesn't look like the picture below, then you need to fill er up and bleed the system. Only then will you overheating go away. Also do as pointed out above. Look for weeping at the water pump. A tell tale sign is a strip on the underside of the hood. The strip will run from the front of the hood towards the windshield. Might be a little pink also, but definitely a color change. If you see that, your water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. It is a common item on the Gen II. I had to replace ours before I traded it in, many other's have had the same problem. Don't let the ICE overheat. If it ever does, the heads and stuff will never be the same.

Rad Fluid 2.JPG

Hint: In order to access the radiator cap, you have to remove the splash guard over the radiator. Real easy to do, use a Phillips head screw driver, while turning the little plastic looking screws on the splash guard counter clock wise, apply slight pressure underneath the guard. The little clip will come up and you can remove it. Remove all the clips, I think there is 8 of them. Save the clips and reuse them. Once you get the guard off, loosen the cap and remove it. Check the fluid level in the radiator itself, NOT the bottle. If it does not look exactly like what you see here, you are definitely low on coolant. Remember, fill both the bottle and the radiator and then bleed all the air out of the system. Don't forget to check the water pump for leaks.

Make certain the ICE is cold BEFORE you remove the cap on the radiator.

Ron (dorunron)

9. David Palma

David Palma New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever fix this problem? I have the exactly the same problem with my 2nd gen 2006 Prius, is exactly as you described on the first post. I already replaced the thermostat, 3 way coolant valve, heater pump, the other pump that is beside the Thermos tank and I bleed the coolant system every time, I have no leaks and no noises coming from the water pump, I'm totally lost now.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP last posted here on Nov 8, 2016. Reading between the lines, he discovered the level in the actual radiator was low so he topped it up, and then everything was fine.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do the both of the radiator fans work? If so, then at what temperature do they turn on?

What temperature reading does the scantool go up to? If you turn the heater on (full hot, dash air vents) - do you have very hot air coming from the vents? If so how does that affect the scantool reading for coolant temperature?

Can you tell if the (entire) radiator is getting hot - ie, is the thermostat opening?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.