1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine radiator bleed valve leakage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boeingb314, Nov 12, 2013.

1. boeingb314

boeingb314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, I am new to the site, a fairly technical 'shade tree' mechanic type. Daughter has an '08 Prius, with almost 98k miles, dealer just did a warranty transaxle replacement. They also recommended replacing the radiator due to leakage, and we told them we'd take care of that ourselves if necessary. Upon inspection this evening after getting the car back, the only signs I could see of any leakage at all on the radiator (pinkish sludge) were on the drivers side around the bleed valve at the top to the right facing the front of the car. The bleed valve was closed, but not tight, and when I put my allen wrench to it, I got about 1/4 turn tighter, did not want to push it any more, for fear of stripping or breaking it, since it's aluminum. My question is has anyone seen a similar issue, or problems with this valve in general?
    I'll be inspecting it nightly the next few nights after work just to make sure that was the issue, and nothing else is going on. Otherwise, it seems fine, smoother than ever with the new transaxle.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There have been no reported issues that I can remember with this valve, but this does sound like your problem. I would keep a close eye on the fluid level to confirm if the problem still exists. Check the level at the radiator not the expansion tank. It should be full to the top.

The coolants due for replacement soon anyway, but the transmission coolant will have been replaced. To be honest I am not sure if the engine coolant has to be drained on the US Prius to change the transmission because of the location of the thermos tank. The UK version does not have this complication.

John (Britprius)

3. boeingb314

boeingb314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Britprius, will do. So far, so good

4. boeingb314

boeingb314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No leakage after several days, and radiator has remained full to the top. Happy campers!

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glad you have it sorted. Sometimes the dealers do not spot the obvious and are quick to through expensive parts at the car at your expense.

John (Britprius)