1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine RPM is high, car is not accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by F8L, Mar 28, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know we have discussed this in a previous thread but because I got a picture of the car doing this today, I thought it would be a good thread topic. :)

The Situation:
    Traveling downhill, with no throttle input. The car is regenerating power as I coast down the hill. I hear the engine turn on and rev up. I glance at the Scangauge and see RPM is at 3045 or so. MPG is still 9999 and SOC is 77.something.

I grab my cell phone, turn off my geology audio book and snap a picture of the SG2. By this time the RPM was dropping but I caught it before it came all the way down and MPG was still 9999. The RPM stayed around 1600 or so until SOC dropped below 70%.

TheCar received no throttle input the entire time nor did the car accelerate. I found it rather cool that it could rev so high and use no fuel.

Attached Files:

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't bother monitoring the SG's MPG or GPM figures... but yeah, I hit the car putting itself in B mode pretty often where I live now: coasting <42 mph downhill, ICE at 0 rpm, soc up pretty high, in the 75%+ range, then ICE suddenly kicking on and sometimes going pretty high.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You two should put in an EV mode switch. Why not put that power to the wheels instead of dispersing it into engine drag?

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep the SG mpg on so I can leave the MFD screen on consumption. Keeps my eyes on the road. :)

So in this case is the engine just being spun up via electric energy just to bleed off excess regen?

I have and EV switch. It doesn't help me on these roads though. It's a very winding rural highway and nearly all downhill until I get to town. I can usually just use hypermiling techniques to keep the engine off for so long that it fires up because the coolant temp has dropped too low. Did you have a specfic scenario in mind where the EV switch could help me?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excess battery SOC I think. I am pretty sure what you experienced only happens when the battery is full.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, the only times I've noticed it is when I'm going downhill and regenerating a lot of energy that I cannot use (no long stretches I can glide or use EV).

7. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the one descent in my various drives where I purposely try to get full SOC, I have to try to time it so that I only get full green right at the end of the hill. If I charge up too quickly on the hill and have more downhill to cover, the engine starts up like this and wastes the energy I was just about to use :eek:

8. mikewithaprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L, do you use a neutral glide if under 42? Could save the charge that way and can brake without more regen. Clean the rust off the rotors, too!

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes. I've had this happen, but only after a lot of regen.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have you ever played around with the PSD animation?

it's for the gen1.. but it's still relevant to the new prius... to an extent... (basic form)

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi F8L, was the SOC indicator showing 8 green bars when this happened?

Same here Mike. I find that once I get eight green bars on the SOC display that I can only regenerate just a little bit more before it triggers the dumping of excess charge.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could but there are only a few sections that I can glide in for more than 10seconds before I pick up too much speed and have to brake before entering a curve. If I were to use a neutral glide I could keep most of the energy I have regenerated, not induce an energy dump despite my braking, then use that energy on a different stretch of road?

I have not but I will now. Thanks for the link. :)

I cannot say. I did not glance at that screen but having traveled that road so many times over the last 5 years and seeing 8 green bars I would place a high wager that it was full. The SG2 SOC read 77.x% (it may have been higher right before the engine rev'd up). I was stuck behind a couple of other cars who were not taking corners as fast as I usually do so I was doing a lot of braking and just lifting off the throttle and letting regen slow me down. This usually generates a lot of energy on this road.

13. mikewithaprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly! The braking will feel different, and you might even hear a little squealing of the brakes. An odd sensation, I forgot I had friction brakes when I first did that haha

If I'm at an all-green or near all-green state and need to save it, I might use neutral to brake, and then go into drive to drive for a second if acceleration is needed for whatever reason, back into neutral, etc. It's so quick on the Prius it's not really a hassle. I keep my hand on the knob so I don't forget about the "gear", too.

theforceprius likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes sense. I can play around with it and learn which spots this technique would work best in. Thanks for the tips guys. :)