1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine speed higher than before...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I found recently that my 04' Prius' engine easily goes higher rev than before (based on engine sound pitch). It happens mainly when cold start, go up hill. After warmed up and on flat road, it goes back to normal. Overall, still in great condition at 211K. MPG stays at 46 on meter when temp is around 45F with 50% highway drive at 100 miles/day.

I suspect the serpentine belt slippery or something. What do you think? I think the belt is original. I bought the car used at 104K.

Thanks!

Allen

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    either way, it's worth replacing. do you do regular recommended maintenance, or are you trying to see how many miles you can put on her without any at all?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The serpentine belt is unrelated to the engine speed being faster than before. However the serpentine belt should be replaced if it had not previously been done.

The faster engine speed probably is due to the traction battery having lower capacity than normal.

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sound like very reasonable to me.
    Is this most likely that the whole battery getting weaker due to age, or individual cell needs replacing?
    The car is 10 years old, with 211K miles on it, and most of its life is around Chicago area. At least last four years stay in parking lot outdoor.

And if it suddenly rev faster, it sounds like certain cells needs replacement?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If no warning lights are on, then it is not obvious that a particular module is worse than the others. More likely, the entire battery has aged to the point where its diminished capacity has become apparent to you, when the power train is cold.

6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not intend to volunteer for Toyota as durability testing engineer. I did not follow maintenance manual strictly, but checked everything on the manual. So far replaced trans fluid, spark plugs, filters, 12V battery, and I monitored oil, coolant regularly.

7. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Feel like we need a new Battery Tender for Hybrid. I used it for other 12V batteries, and it does extend the life quite a bit (no scientific data).