1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Strain 200k city vs highway

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mark54321, Mar 6, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. Tpfun's claims of 10-20% inflation via the trip computer are UTTER BS for the 2nd gen. I track my manually calculated mileage and MFD readings and the averages between the two, over time (the >5 years I've owned my Prius) are within 1 mpg.

Yes, the MFD readings vs. manual calculations on a per tank basis are sometimes far apart (sometimes the MFD is too high, sometimes it's too low) but averaged out, they're very close. The 2nd gen's variable capacity bladder, not very big tank, not being totally certain how full the tank is getting, and pump variability are all likely to blame.

Yes, we know about the some 3rd gen's being optimistic and supposedly some more than others. If one really cares to know their actual mileage, they should take the time to calculate and track it.

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT IS THE FUNNIEST smart THING I HAVE EVER READ!!

I believe the OP asked a question about -engine- strain on high mileage (i.e. lots of freeway miles) vehicles. we actually know that high freeway mileage vehicles the battery is not really an issue because it's not cycling while driving at steady speeds, it only cycles during city driving.

3. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are confusing me with the principal investigator (Mr Francfort) of the DOE. That's what he reports from the extensive DOE study of these vehicles.

There are plenty of examples here of 10% error .

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-please-post-your-results-54.html#post1292560

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It certainly doesn't jive w/my averages on my 2nd gen that I track nor anyone else's 2nd gen that I've seen here.

I went back and found your claim at Air Conditioning and Hybrid Mileage | Hybrid Cars but it doesn't state anywhere Prius' trip computer inflates mileage by 10 to 20 precent. It makes the assertion for an unspecified set of hybrids. We don't have his test data.

As for the second, I already know about the 3rd gen's trip computer being off but I don't have one. See below.
    Again, 2k1Toaster's observation as quoted below is right.
    Why do you waste your time? Why do you waste our time? Us Prius owners who know our cars see right thru your BS. It seems again that your motive is to dissuade people from buying Priuses via Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and do the same w/Prius newbies.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well ... it took about 5 minutes to compare data I had collected over about 10 months to see how MFD and calculated MPG compared. Follow this link to a Google Docs spreadsheet. MFD *underestimated* fuel economy by about 4 percent.

Tpfun, I know you are a troll and an idiot, but try to understand: any one tank's calculated MPG can show marked discrepancy from the MFD reading, but this is not MFD inaccuracy, it is variable tank fills that evens out over time -- in fact over 2 - 3 tanks.

6. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still off topic, but in 21 fillups, not once has the MFD showed a lower MPG number then my hand-calculated number. It is consistently 3-5% optimistic. That is totally within industry norms as I understand it (it's actually more accurate then my past cars).

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That consistently MFD optimism happens only in the Gen III.
    Gen II is pretty accurate.

8. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    10% ethanol would explain 3-4%.

9. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    10% ethanol would explain actually getting 5% fewer MPG, but does that really effect the MFD? Shouldn't the MFD be calculating how much fuel is used per mile, unconcerned and unswayed with what that fuel is?

I'm not sure how the MFD calculates so it's an open question.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I respectfully disagree for 2 reasons:
    1. E0 versus E10 gas has no bearing on the difference between hand-calculated and MDF mileage readings. I've got 8,000 miles in type, and I concur with the MDF being about 5-percent optimistic in the MPG readings. It's pretty consistent. TIFWIW.

2. There probably is a difference in MPG between E0 and E10 fuels for the Prius, but I'll be darned if I can quantify it. The closest gas station to my office is an independent (PURE) that (claims to) sell E0. I've run a couple of tanks of his gas through my G3, and saw no large (or even small) difference in my tank range or MPG.
    It's a company car, and I don't pay for the gas, so it costs me nothing to experiment. :D
    OK.....so maybe the local guy is lying. I'm currently testing the difference between the E0 offered in a different town, and the garden variety E10 that the bigs sell.

Like I said. I see no evident differences. Now granted.....the people who wear white lab coats (and others who have been educated beyond their intelligence) will tell me that since I don't eliminate routing, environmental, and insect density variables, that my tests are not "valid".
    Good point.
    However (comma) I don't drive in a lab. If I can't resolve a measurable delta between E0 and E10 out here in the real world, then I'm going to keep my giveacrap switch locked in the "don't" position. :cool:
    If I ever can resolve a difference between the 2 fuel blends, without having to factor in things like lunar gravity, and perturbations in the earth's rotation.....then I promise I'll report back and offer a sincere apology to the fuel temperance crowd (as opposed to the fake ones that you hear from folks on TV!) :)

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    E10 has 96.7% the energy per volume as E0. Variation between tanks is going to be quite a bit more than that using the same fuel, so you would have to keep a log for a couple of months in the same weather to see the difference.

I agree though, the MFD/calculated difference is not affected by E10.

12. pjam

pjam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm right there with you on this one. I've been fighting it forever. I remember the crap cars Hyundai originally sold in this country. Crappy azz Excel. $4995 and a small step above a Yugo in terms of quality. My how times have changed. They do appear to be fine cars, but I'll never be able to rise any higher than change of opinion as I'll never own one on principal.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    pjam,

Mitsubishi lost me as a customer when they rebadged a hyundai many years ago. I was not one of the unlucky owners, but it was such a nasty tactic I lost confidence in the company. That is how bad Hyundai used to be.

Rather like how GM sells Daihatsu garbage with a Chevy badge.

14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daihatsu is controlled 51% by Toyota since 1999, but have been known (decades) for making small but very reliable engines.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe he's talking about GM DAEWOO and crap like the Chevy Aveo (made by Daewoo). They were apparently responsible for the design but not engineering of the Chevy Cruze/Daewoo Lacetti.

16. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be that.

off.topic...I had a Daewoo Lanos for some time (business car), and I was amazed with the car (done 120k mi with it!). Very dependable, and only had a few tricks to work with. Seemed to last for ages, but horrible looks, and some low level plastics...
    I would not buy one, but made me look in a more respectful way...

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does tpfun stand for trashing prius fun? I mean, seriously, quite the trend among his posts. Would be like somebody trying to argue with me that chocolate does not taste good despite my personal experience over many years that chocolate does indeed taste very good.

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The taste of chocolate is an opinion, (although I happen to agree with yours on that it is yummy), whereas the things he is disputing are mostly facts sprinkled with observations over a large user set.

It's more like arguing that the sky is blue. It is the common misconception that most people have. However, after you explain to them that the sky's colouring is because of the light ray's electromagnetic field inducing electric dipole moments in the molecules generally people understand and accept it (or can't actually understand it but accept it because it sounds "sciency").

However tpfun is adamant that the sky is indeed blue and will do anything in his power to convince everyone else that it is. I am sure he would have argued with Einstein in 19-whatever it was when he finally figured this out.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a Daewoo Lanos (the text on the back almost looks like lamo) as a rental for a few days in Los Angeles before. What a piece of crap! I think it was built before Daewoo Motors' bankruptcy and the GM acquisition.
    That's about all we can figure... "trash Prius" seems to about all he does on any Prius or Toyota threads.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I almost bought an entry Daewoo for $11.5k new in 2001. Very glad I didn't as they went belly up shortly after. I biked instead!