1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engineer with Coastal EV Mod?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by plug-it-in, Dec 16, 2010.

1. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a Gen II (2008) Prius with the Coastal EV mod installed. I liked this solution better than the EV switch. It masks the EV Mod from the Toyota tech. I though this will avoid possible Warranty issues etc... - no problems with the car to date :)

I am considering to install the Engineer battery pack. Anyone has any idea how using the Cruise control lever to get in and out of EV mode would work with the Engineer kit?

Thanks

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having a separate switch for EV should be just fine.

I have done installs where the headlight flash is used as well as ones where it has factory EV (Gen3 Prius) and it is just fine.

Basically you'll get to skip that step of the Enginer install procedure. I tape back the white wire on the Enginer harness just to make it clear that it is not being used.

1 person likes this.
  3. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks for your note. I could not find an "Operating Manual" or similar for the engineer kit. I also hear about a 6kWh version but the Engineer website has no such product listed.

Any idea how long the installation would take - say for someone who has not done it yet - like me?

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It took me about 12 hours in total, spread across two days. The installation guide for gen3 is not very good, the one for gen2 is better and there is a video to watch as well. I made sure i had all the tools i needed in advance, as at certain points the car is inoperable so you'd better have the tool you need! I have pretty basic mechanical and electrical skills, but so long as you can use a drill, a multimeter, a spanner and have good physical strength, 12 hours on your own is reasonable.

The 6kwh kit is still in development, but it will apparently all fit in the existing case so may be worth the wait.

There isn't really an operating manual, but there are decent folks on the enginer forum who will answer your questions pretty quickly.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say set aside two days worth of time. This will give you time to take a breaks and actually enjoy the process.

You do not want to be rushed. Being in a rush and working on high voltage electric stuff is a bad combination.

There isn't really an operation manual. The components are ever changing so my guess is even if something was written, it would soon be out of date. A wiki would probably be better someday.

On the Enginer web site in the left hand column there are some manuals for installation as well as about the BMS's.

Enginer still lists 6kwh and 8 kwh systems on their web site http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

I've installed several 8kwh systems using mottcell batteries. If you plan on doing that, then set aside a good 25-35 hours worth of time. It's labor intensive and patience is necessary.

1 person likes this.
  6. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I fully agree with Eric here. I only installed the wiring in the front yesterday and it already took me about 4 hours to complete just that. It was freezing cold and I had to warm up in the house a few times but if you want to do it right it just takes time.

Getting the HV wiring and putting the battery box in tomorrow will probabaly take another 3 to 4 hours.

And then I also have to bolt the whole thing down to the car. So if you set aside two days you will have enough time to do it.

Also it is a good thing to prepare yourself. Read the instructions well and watch the video, I watched it twice before I even started.

7. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Could I ask one of you kind souls to either describe how the car is doing after the conversion or point to a thread that covers this topic?

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just search for enginer and you'll find lots of threads. Personally, i had some problems (bad BMS, two bad battery cells) but am now operating stably. My sig is kept up to date with info, but at this point in time the car has over 3,000 miles on the kit and i just finished a whole tank at 99.9MPG on the display. Hopefully that was the first of many.

9. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Begreen,
    I have a 2005 in Vancouver Wa. that is running with 8kwhr in it. I have had 2 cars with 4kwhr systems running for over a year and then I chose to put both systems into one car to get better range.

You are welcome to come see and drive the 2005 if you are close to this area. Shoot me an PM and we can communicate more.

I have installed and worked on several other systems also. The main issue is that the systems tend to have variuos failures over time. If you have a system installed you need to plan on needing to take it back to your installer for warranty repairs about 3 times in the first year.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.