1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer PHEV kits for PRC Prius

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Huibin, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've purchased the 4kwh version last week, hopefully the kit can be arrived next week.

Now, I have few questions as follows:

1. As the EV button is default configure for PRC Prius, so do I need to remove the EV button and install switch on-off button, or I can just install switch on-off button beside the EV button?

2. As there are no authorized installer in China, so I need to install it by myself, so could anyone recommend some pics or videos during the installation? ps, youtube.com is banned in China so I can not access it.

3. For the first one or two charges, do I just plug-in overnight and then turn off in the morning or I need to check the battery (balancer)? I only have private parking area with power supply (public parking zone).

4. More questions may raise during the installation as the PRC version is a little bit difference between the US and Europe version.

Thanks in advance!

Huibin

1 person likes this.
  2. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Huibin,

I too had an EV button already. I just wired up their switch in addition to it. I just didn't hook up the EV pin switch.

All the videos I"m aware of are on youtube. Sorry.

Charging must be monitored right now as there is no automatic shut off if one cell's voltage gets too high. You need to attend to it as it nears the end of the cycle.

Post your additional questions here and we'll try to answer what we can.

1 person likes this.
  3. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Doax,
    Ben has the origonal files for your videos. Could Ben just attach the origonal file to an Email to Huibin?

By the way thanks for you help on the links.

Thanks again,
    Dan

4. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is definitely doable. However, my videos really don't show me doing a ton. I'll message Ben though.

1 person likes this.
  5. olov

olov New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You normally get a CD with the kit having the movie and manuals. I also have a car with EV button so I got the IGN/Ready signal from a yellow cable going in to a medium-small white connector near the HV battery/controller and the GND from chassis by that avoiding the trouble and pain required to rip the glove box apart for no use, you only need to run 1 cable along the phone cable to the toggle switch in the panel. You need to make that cable extension. I had the pack cycled some times before installing using 220 halogen lamps as load. Now I run it for a few days and can go btw. home and work EV only and that was my target. I have so far not run the battery down to red light in the car. When charging it´s switch off as a cell goes off in hi voltage and some others are lagging, they are balanced to 3.35 V over night, you may need 40-50 cycles before they work together. Have fun with your plugin. Olov

6. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Olov –
    Can you elaborate on your comment - “you may need 40-50 cycles before they work together.†Does that mean you need to charge the pack 40-50 times before it is well balanced?
    Paul

7. olov

olov New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that´s what the guy that imported the kit I have told me. His first engineer kit he cycled the pack 10+ times before installing in the car and that was the finding that it took about that many full cycles for that pack to balance finally. I will rarely do full cycles so I don´t know if that will take more or less cycles then. On the engineer board there is a discussion on charging weak cells extra. If you have a 4k pack in buddy cell config it´s actually 6 cells in parallel for each cell monitored as each mott cell is built from 3 cells inside so it´s a total of 96 cells so the options for cell variation is endless. Olov