1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer PHEV Technical Information

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by krousdb, Aug 13, 2009.

1. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Measuring Charger Efficiency:

Input is 935W
    [​IMG]

Output is 15.15A * 53.5V = 810.5W
    [​IMG]

Efficiency is 86.7%.

I used a 25 ft, 12 Gauge heavy duty extension cord in this case. Previously I used a 100 ft, 14 Gauge extension cord and the input was 1058W. In that case, the efficiency was 76.6%. The extra 120W was caused by the higher resistance of the longer cord.

First post has been updated with charger efficiency info.

4 people like this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    A quick correction to your post
    Output is 15.15A * 53.5V = 810.5W

1 person likes this.
  3. eMileage

eMileage Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you mean 810.5W ;)

Thanks for the update. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between using 50ft 12G and a 25ft 12G cord? Would you recommend going to a 10G or a 15ft cord?

1 person likes this.
  4. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Updated to 810.5W.

I think a shorter cord and/or larger gauge wire will help somewhat, but I have no idea by how much.

1 person likes this.
  5. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Is there any info yet on the DC/DC converter?

1 person likes this.
  6. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As soon as I finish the install, the first thing I will do is to establish the converter efficiency, at both max current and lower current. Hopefully this weekend I will post that info.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Could you take a picture of any key markings on the the Converter and charger. Model number, and the like. I can't find any docs on either, although the charger should be on thunder-sky or mottcell, but google might find it quicker than me.

1 person likes this.
  8. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are no markings on either other than what is listed on the first post.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK... I looked at the picture and I thought I saw "Model" but it was really "Made in..."

Thanks for all the good pics.

1 person likes this.
  10. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Added info to the first post about the DC/DC converter.

Voltage output is programmed at factory or by field support personnel through the RJ-45 port. Future enhancement is a user interface that will monitor useage and SOC.

1 person likes this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome information! I don't suppose there's a way of figuring out what is used to do the programming so we might tweak the output ourselves? Are the future enhancements something to interpret and display the data or is the unit currently outputting any information via that port that we might be able to interpret ourselves via some creative DIY? :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Couldn't decide whether to post my question on the PHEV for dummies thread or this one, but since it's so Enginer specific, this might be the best bet. I pulled up my BTV gauge on my SGII and watch the battery voltage bounce around. Very informative. What I noticed is that putting at 240 V my battery does pull 12A, but only if it's at 7 bars already. If it's down around nominal 220V (3 bars), 240V will dump something like 50A. I would think that 50A draw on a the back end of a 240V DC/DC converter would come out to something like 12KW. More than enough to melt a 4KW DC/DC converter.

So I guess I assume the converter would have to be reading the nominal voltage on the line then step it up incrementally. Targeting 240V but stopping when it was pushing 12A. If only Converters were written in C it would look something like this:
    Code:
    maxV = 240;
    maxW = 2880;
    nv = calc_downstream_nominal_V();
    start_v = nv++;
    outputW = 0;
    for(targetV = start_v; targetV < maxV && outputW < maxW; targetV++)
    {
      set_downstream_V(targetV);
      sleepMicroSec(1000);
      outputW = calc_output_wattage();
    }

while(true)
    {
      outputW =  calc_output_wattage();
      if (outputW >= maxW) { targetV--; }
      else if (targetV < maxV) { targetV++; }
      set_downstream_V(targetV);
      sleepMicroSec(1000);
    }
    I just don't see how holding 240V consistently keep the converter within spec (ie, not melt it) when the OEM battery was down at 3 or even 4 bars.

Next question was back to regen. So if the OEM inverter sees the 240V (since the converter is driving 240V) and wants to do a regen it will step the voltage up to something like 245 or 250. At this point there is no longer a deltaV between the AUX pack and the OEM pack so the converter will effectively shut off. Once the converter comes off though, I would expect the voltage drop on the bus and a fairly substantial inrush until things even out. Kinda like a tug-of-war where one of the members from the other team (the converter) suddenly lets go of the rope.

Is this sound physics or is there something about current stabilization that eludes me? Do all these things magically equalize which is why this solution is so elegant?

1 person likes this.
  13. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is completely a guess, but I would imagine that the converter functions more like a current limited voltage source. A lot of regulated voltage sources are really more like current sources than voltage sources anyway. A simple pass regulator has a current output device, and an op-amp that measures voltage and adjusts output current to keep the bus voltage where it should be in a feedback loop. A current limited voltage regulator would do exactly the same up to a certain preset maximum current. At that point the loop would "rail", maintaining a constant output current but allowing the output voltage to droop.

To put it in a more general way, a regulated voltage output is a non-linear device that can appear as if it has nearly 0 dynamic resistance over a certain range. That is to say that for a certain range of delta I, delta V is more or less 0. This approximates what an ideal voltage source is supposed to look like (which is why people use voltage regulators), but real ones like batteries almost never really do. Once you exceed a certain max I, the regulator can no longer supply enough current to hold V constant and you can be in danger of damaging something while it tries in vain to do so. A simple improvement in some regulators is to just shut themselves off when they sense I>Imax. A more sophisticated way is to add a "current limited" operating mode, as mentioned above. In this mode, once Imax is reached, the regulator behaves more like an ideal current source, outputting a fixed current regardless of voltage, so now delta I is zero for any reasonable delta V, and dynamic resistance is nearly infinite.

The above description is very similar to how many lead acid battery chargers work. When you first hook them up to a battery with a low resting voltage/SOC, they would pull a lot of current out of the charger if they could. For this reason many chargers start out in a current limited opertaing region, allowing the output voltage to sag to keep from trying to source too much current and damage the charger and/or battery. As voltage and SOC gets higher, the charger will transition into a constant voltage mode, where current will slowly taper to 0 as the battery reaches 100% SOC. In general voltage/current regulators, battery chargers, and dc:dc converters are all very similar devices.

Rob

3 people like this.
  14. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The converter will put out 240V until it reaches it's peak output of about 12A. At that point, the voltage will drop to whatever the DC bus level is, while continuing to put out 12A.

That is my understanding.

Yes, things magically equalize. There are two big buffers in the system. The battery is a large reservior that absorbs these spikes. There are also three large capacitors on the 500V DC side that can also absorb large voltage spikes.

1 person likes this.
  15. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW, what your c code basically describes is the feedback loop of a regulator. In hardware this is most often done in an analog fashion with an op-amp in more or less real time. The inputs to the op-amp are a known reference voltage, and the regulator output voltage. The op-amp's job in life is to adjust its output such that difference between the two inputs is zero. The op-amp output drives the current source device, and supplies exactly the amount of current needed to keep the output voltage the same as the reference voltage regardless of the load at the output. Since the circuit "loops" back around from the op-amp's output to its input this setup is referred to as a feedback loop, or closed-loop control.

Rob

1 person likes this.
  16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're right on here I believe. The filtering elements like capacitors keep the changes slow enough that the regulators can keep up, and keep the dV/dt gradual enough to avoid big dI/dt spikes that could damage something.

1 person likes this.
  17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Balancing all 16 would certainly be preferable, but 8 is probably still pretty good. You can generally think of each battery as part of a random statistical distribution (like a bell curve). Most cells should be fairly close to the average. There will be some variation between individual cells, and in any group there will be a high and low outlier. The balancer I would assume evens this out the best it can within a group of 8. Assuming the distribution is fairly balanced (bell curve) like, a group of 8 cells averaged together should match another group of 8 cells averaged together much better than any two individual cells match. This should be particularly true if all the batteries in a set are from the same manufacturing lot, and have all been cycled identically together at all times. This is less true if you try to replace an individual weak/dead cell or upgrade a pack.

Does anyone know if the balancers are only active during charge, or do they also monitor cell voltages during discharge? Ideally a BMS should automatically disconnect the system when the weakest cell is depleted, or balance during discharge. The issue is that the batteries will all have slightly different capacities. Balancing on charge helps get all the batteries charged up to the same level, which is very important to prevent them drifting apart over time. However, the weaker cells in the pack will regularly be run to lower SOC than the stronger cells. Since lifespan is related to DOD, your cells which were already weaker to begin with are being aged at an accelerated rate.

One way to gauge how much of an issue this might be is to monitor the Voltage balance of all the cells in the pack when the pack is depleted, not just when its full.

Rob

1 person likes this.
  18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Would you mind sharing the source of this information?

1 person likes this.
  19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    -

1 person likes this.
  20. BlueIce

BlueIce New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Manuals

Quickly scanned the Battery Balancer manual for a temperature rating the only thing that was said was not to use the battery balancer in high ambient temperatures. I question what is the rated temp is. Generally, if no rating is given the rated value is low and the MFR is in CYA mode. The unit may only function at 115°F or below. I seen this before for other industrial components, AB for one.

1 person likes this.