1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer PHEV Technical Information

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by krousdb, Aug 13, 2009.

1. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Because there are four sets of batteries. Eight cells for each set means four balancers. The black boxes are the balancers.

1 person likes this.
  2. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Added new picture and features to first post.

1 person likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Shhhhh, it's a secret.......:cool:

2 people like this.
  4. kiettyyyy

kiettyyyy Plug-In Supply Engineer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Send me a PM then...something... heh!

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I was confusing the 2kWh system that a lot of people have.

There were always 4 balancers in the 4kWh?

1 person likes this.
  7. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, The packs are layed out like this.

1 "String" = 4 "Blocks" = 16 "Cells" = 2kWh
    1 "Block" = 4 "Cells" = 512Wh
    1 "Cell" = 1 "Battery" = 128Wh

1 "Balancer" balances 8 "Cells" or 2 "Blocks"

2 "Strings" = 4kWh therefore 8 "Blocks" = 4 "balancers"

Now since the Moto Cells are "slightly" smaller, so a "4kWh" Moto Cell pack is really 3.9936 kWh, while a 2kWh Thundersky pack is really 2.048 kWh

Still well within marketing parameters to call them "4kW" and "2kW" packs, but as Dan K has pointed out, some of these batteries hold a little more than than are specked to, so it should all work out in the end.

1 person likes this.
  8. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been talking to a few electrictions at my job, and one asked a very good question: How much power does it take to recharge the batteries? If I know the power required, I can calculate the costs based on my current electric bill.

I am interested in getting this pack, but costs is an issue right now, as I am employeed by a domestic automaker.

Still, I want it. I'm torn by the costs (will it actually pay for itself before the batteries are worn out?) and the environmental impact if not burning gasolene.

As far as I can tell, the 20 mile kit will allow me to run 2/3s of my round trip in EV mode, saving me about $0.80 per day, but I have read it costs about $0.80 to charge it, therefor wiping out ANY savings on fuel...

BTW: Thank you all for taking the time to post in this forum.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I [post="939048"]discussed return on costs here[/post] already. The net result is that this is an automotive feature, not a cost saving measure. Kinda like asking someone how many miles it will take for them to make back the money they spent on their leather interior. That said, I'm definitely wanting to put down my money for the system since I see every barrel of oil imported to the US as a HUGE national sovereignty issue.
    The pack will take between 2kWh and 4kWh depending on whether you buy the "small pack" or the "big pack". If your paying $0.20 a kWh and you buy the 4kWh pack then yes it will cost between $0.70 and $0.80 cents to charge it. States that pay a LOT for gas, and LITTLE for electricity are good candidates for this type of conversion. My numbers are $0.11 for Elect and $2.40 for gas, or "For what I pay for one gallon of gas, I could buy 21.8 kWh"

1 person likes this.
  10. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made a shorter, 6ft 12/3 extension cord today. Compared to the 25ft 12/3, the kill-a-watt meter showed 15W less. Updated the original post to show the charging efficiency with a 6ft cord.

1 person likes this.
  11. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can't wait for this to become cost effective. Hopefully it won't be more then a couple of more years. When it will save me money then I'll buy it.

1 person likes this.
  12. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much lower that $2000 does it need to be to be cost effective for you?

1 person likes this.
  13. Greg_M

Greg_M Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where it will save me money. It's closer now but not there yet. You will be hard pressed for this to pay for itself never mind make money on it.

As batteries become less expensive and have more capacity this will become a very attractive option for my prius.

I bought my prius for the simple reason that it gets twice the mileage of the car it replaced. I'll block the vents this winter and may or may not get a block heater because there is an immediate return on that money.

I'll spend money if there is a return but these battery packs don't give a return, yet. I believe they will in the not so distant future.

1 person likes this.
  14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same price but more capacity for the same price.... ok.. that wil work.

1 person likes this.
  15. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great thread, love the technical details...

I searched their website; are these the same cells advertised as 40 Ah? Maybe previously sold as 39 Ah, now improved.
    Mottcell LiFePO4 Battery 3.2V 40AH

1 person likes this.
  16. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds great Krousdb. How many miles can you do in real life on EV only with your 8 kWh kit?
    I have a daily commute of about 40 miles round trip, elas.. no possibility to recharge at work. I wonder if I could do that entirely on 8 kWh.

Thanks for all the detailed postings. Keep up the good work!
    Floyd

1 person likes this.
  17. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mottcell makes cylindrical cells but for Enginer they mold plastic around them to make the prismatic shape. The picture is of a prismatic cell but if you look at the dimensions, it mentions height and diameter which wouldn't fit into the size cell that Enginer is offering. My guess is the they are using two 19.5Ah cylindrical cells in parallel. I don't see anything like that on thier website. This may be custom for Enginer.

1 person likes this.
  18. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't run through a whole pack in EV, but I would expect 40 miles could be done at 90-100% DoD. The problem is that you would need at least 3 converters to keep from draining OEM pack and we don't yet know if 3 converters will throw a code. With two converters, as long as I keep the OEM SoC below 72%, I have not had a code. You really have to actively manage the power flow whenever you run more than one converter.

1 person likes this.
  19. rickw

rickw I get miles per KW

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello
    New 2002 prius owner. Would like to know what you think of adding the enginer kit to a classic prius given the smaller electric motor. When driving in town I can go electric enough to get down to about 1/4 battery on indicator no bars on a classic. Would the kit also give better mileage by recharging the main battery instead of the ICE doing it. Im assuming that the enginer kit keeps main battery low enough so that regenerative braking is not affected. I dont know about payback for investment but since I just installed a 4.4k pv system for my house I really like the thought of using the electric to drive with.

1 person likes this.
  20. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't try to drive on electric only and drain the stock battery. That's not how you drive a prius efficiently with or without an Enginer kit.

Learn to pulse and glide and try to avoid energy flow to and from the stock battery.

Absolutely.

There will be less room for regen but only important for long downhill runs. There should be enough regen room for most of us, most of the time.

Don't expect to make this car an EV with this kit. And don't expect it to pay for itself. Ain't gonna happen.

I personally like the idea of not needing to buy the first good EV that comes on the lot because of this kit. In a way it will save me from wanting to spend 10s of thousands of dollars on a new car. Cheers.

1 person likes this.