1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ENTUNE — Internet syncing apps?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PtRican, Sep 2, 2013.

1. PtRican

PtRican New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Purchased a 2013 PiP two weeks ago. I am UNable to sync my INTERNET function with my ENTUNE App on my PiP with my iPhone5.

HERE's a SUMMARY of ACTIONS TAKEN (6 more times I've repeated this):

• HARDWARE SETUP: iPhone 5 with AT&T full unlimited data plan (no tethering).
    √ I've Enabled and properly PAIRED and linked my iPhone 5 BLUETOOTH with PIP "CAR MULTIMEDIA"
    √ When I turn on my iPhone and initiate my ENTUNE App.... then turn on my vehicle.....it asks me if I want to link with PANDORA (for example).... > Gives me a Information window about iPhone Data transfer and charges > NEW WINDOW asking me if I want to connect my PHONE, MUSIC, and INTERNET. I touch the CONNECT ALL THREE option at the bottom of Screen.
    √ RESULT: It only connects with PHONE and MUSIC ...... however, NO INTERNET !!! [ :( ]
    I;m able to play my iPhone's PANDORA App, but not the PiP PANDORA App, nor the iHeart Radio App, nor the BING access of the Multi-Media options on my PiP.

I've done the following ADDITIONAl Steps three or more times:
    RESET my iPhone 5 then restored the iPhone 5 from APPLE iCloud
    DELETED and RE-DOWNLOADED the ENTUNE App from APPLE App Store
    RESET all setting on my PRIUS Plug-In (PiP).

The crazy thing is that once in a while I'll be able to log in directly to the INTERNET option and all works well.

The FRUSTRATION is that it does NOT connect to INTERNET consistently every time I turn the system on.

And, "Yes," I'm connecting my iPhone 5 to the USB cord.

The interesting thing is that my Salesmand who also has an iPhone 5 can consistently over a period of 3 different days ...... IS ABLE to connect to my AUDIO & APP system each time without a problem.

//// FRUSTRATED !!!!! Someone H E L P !!!

PtRican

2. Bill22

Bill22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    have you logged into entune with your pc and "linked" the apps?

3. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's what I found:
    When you want to use the "entune" app, think of it as a tethering app(cable only). Just run the app using the USB cable attach it to the car. The Entune app does not work over bluetooth.
    If you want to have complete wireless access to all of the Entune Features Such as traffic/fuel prices/Pandora (on the screen) you will either have to Jailbreak your phone and tether your phone with bluetooth, or purchase a tethering plan from your cell provider.

4. PtRican

PtRican New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I found an answer: The iPhone should NOT be linked via the BLUETOOTH Setup Process. [SEE ATTACHED NOTE]

I'm going to try it. I'll report back if successful.

Entune_BLUETOOTH Setup NOTE.png

Attached Files:

mrlebop likes this.
  5. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oooooooooh, that's why I can't get my internet or music apps to work. My iPhone works over Bluetooth though.

Did this work?

6. PlumbersCrack

PlumbersCrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah that it sucks. When I got my PiP I tried doing it and nope, have to use USB to get it to work with the iPhone. It's crap.

7. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune, well, it's a waste of time even discussing in a forum (and I'm someone who really wish it was more). Just get another head unit.

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All Entune features including Pandora, Destination Search, (formerly Bing), and email and text messaging have worked perfectly over Bluetooth with my Samsung S5 Android phone and my previous Samsung S3 Android phone for a total of nearly four years. iPhone would work well too if Apple followed industry standard protocols instead of going its own way.

9. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't about Android vs. iOS, rather an openness to run (nearly) any app from your phone regardless of platform. Entune has bee the same for those same 4 years. Not much to expect the ability to use other music services, other navigation services and such.

10. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I thought this thread was about frustration with getting Entune to work with iPhone. My wife is going to resolve that problem in August when she retires and exchanges her corporate provided iPhone 6 for an Android phone - probably a Samsung S7.

Entune on our 2012 Prius v has been updated a number of times "over the air" although I had expected more apps to be added and for existing apps to be improved more than they have been. The most major change to Entune in our 2012 Prius v was when Slacker radio was added although I rarely listen to Slacker since I subscribe to and prefer Pandora. Bing was replaced by Destination Search about the same time.

I think the only way you are ever going to get full access to all phone apps is through some sort of screen mirroring adapter. Phone app access through Apple Carplay and Android Auto is still restricted and will likely continue to be due to concerns about distracted driving and liability.

I've noticed that some formerly available screen mirroring interface products for vehicles made by Toyota have already been withdrawn from the marketplace but they were expensive and seemed like a hassle to use. And I don't know how they could have been safe to use, e.g. typing an email on an in-dash screen while driving?

As much as I like Entune, I don't think it, Apple Carplay or Android Auto will ever be a substitute for having cell phones in holders on dashboards. The iBolt Dock'n Drive app is available for both iOS and Android and allows creating up to five customized app shortcut screens that makes it easier and safer to use phone apps while driving. Dock'n Drive comes with a special app to make Tunein Radio (one of our favorite audio streaming apps) easier to use while driving and can be configured to largely emulate Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform.

11. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is you do not have tethering. Using the Connect For Internet option in the entune settings is for tethering from your phone over bluetooth. To enable it click the gear next to it and check the box for enabling dun/pan connection. Then back out and connect. Make sure tethering is enabled for your phone. Yay, you will now have internet. After doing that it will automatically connect to internet over bluetooth tethering whenever you try to use an internet app.

Except if you don't have tethering then that will not work. The only way to connect to the internet without tethering is to plug your iphone in over USB, and then open the Entune app on iphone. After a few seconds it will switch to a screen showing it is connected to the car. The car will throw up a popup asking if you want to connect to the internet through your phone. Click yes to that and you now have internet.

Those are the only two options for internet, and they have always both worked properly for me on my iPhone. The problem that everyone has is they either don't have tethering on their phone, they don't enable the dun/pan connection, or they don't understand they need to be plugged into usb AND have the app open if not using bluetooth tethering.

12. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Liquid - thank you for the information. Have not spent much time w/Entune, see even with internet 'connected' - it barely has anything usable. Can't add other apps. Phone is about it, and is nothing more than traditional blue-tooth.