1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by meall, Jul 28, 2016.

1. meall

meall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've been reading the manual for my new 2012 Prius. Entune is something that I'm not sure I get totally. It looks somehow to be the OS of the entertaining system, but at the same time, it is like if it has a cell phone (iPhone/Android) counter part that enhanced the in-vehicule experience. Can anyone confirm or explain to me what I need to understand about it?

This evening I found the software upgrade for Entune and updated it to 5.1. It was left at 1.7.1 by the previous owner. I cannot say I see many changes to it. Maybe it was bug fixes or something.

When I read in the manual and online about Entune, it looks like it used to be a paid service, but Toyota let aside the paying for it. Is that correct?

I live in Canada. When I read the manual it says that the service is available in the USA, no mention of the Canada (or anywhere else in the world either). Is it possible that, as a Canadian, I cannot fully use all the component of Entune?

When I connect my iPhone to the Prius USB port, it sometimes tell me a need a software for it, probably the Entune App Bundle. Which I cannot find in the Canadian App Store. But I was offered to download another third party app called Aha Radio. When the app is launched and I connect the phone to the USB port, it says connected, but I cannot see anything on the radio that relates to this app or anything anywhere. Someone can explain to me?

Is there anything I need to know or look at to "master" the entertainment system in my new car?

Thank you for your help

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this actually sounds like the standard entune experience, sorry.:p

3. meall

meall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Meaning there is not much to it! damn!

Chance is that the Bluetooth functions works fine so far, which is very cool. I was able to add favorites (quick dial) phone numbers to it without typing any names or numbers.

I have to further test the map integration with my iPhone address book.

bisco likes this.
  4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Entune's FAIL is why I didn't bother springing for a higher trim level. Aside from most of the features being of no use to me and being a paid service (at the time), that so many were unimpressed with it made it easy to pass on it. (n)

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A new update for Display Audio Entune (2012/2013) was released on August 1st. It's version 5.2 and is installed via USB stick. Download file and instructions here:
    Redirect To headUnits

It's installed by copying the file to a USB stick and plugging it in to the car's USB socket. If you have the right model for this version the update will load automatically and you'll be prompted to continue. If not, nothing will happen.

There's no list of changes, except that some of the apps have been updated or replaced.

Thanks to the Toyota 4-Runner forum for the heads-up on this.
    A New version of "Entune" is available! - Page 15 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

redcoral likes this.
  6. stannc

stannc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even if they just updated the Gracenote database it's a useful update. Thanks!

7. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When the Entune App is loaded to your smartphone, and it is open, Entune will connect over bluetooth and use your mobile data for any Entune Apps that are available. Some Apps, like iHeart Radio and Pandora, work well through the built-in Nav/Multimedia screen.

Overall I believe offering Apple CarePlay and Android Auto would be a better experience.

8. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info, I just updated mine. I don't have the app installed on my iPhone but it looks like the behavior of plugging in your source has changed. I could be wrong but I could have swore if you plugged in your phone it would automatically launch iPod mode. After the update it does not do this. Not sure if any changes have been made to the mapping since I don't really use it but here is a pic. I have a 2013 Persona.

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you missed a few in-between updates, as that was a bug on earlier versions of Entune. When they fixed that they screwed up other things, then they fixed the other things and broke something else.
    This version seems to be working OK.

CoolPrius likes this.
  10. meall

meall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got information that the Entune service is just not available in Canada, sadly. It may not offer that much, but still could have been nice sometimes.

I downloaded version 5.2, will install tomorrow probably.

11. meall

meall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried it in my Prius 2012, but it looks like the software is not compatible with this car. Or there was a bug in my copy.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a very nice head unit, but the EnTune internet-connected apps are awful. Can't believe they thought that anyone would pay for them.

13. meall

meall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Canadian I do not have access to the "connected" portion of Entune, so I can't comment on it. I'd like to try it, but just can't!

14. Lexcyn

Lexcyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just tried it in my 2012 as well but it keeps telling me the USB stick is invalid.