1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune update: Beware!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by parnami, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thought I saw in the "system info" screen an option to backup. Maybe it only backs up user settings, not the whole system.
    For fun, I'm actually going to grab a mem stick and see what it does with my 2.1 system. I'll report back shortly....

.....To confirm ftl is on the money. You cannot "copy to stick" This only copies what appears to be personal configuration that consists of about 754k of data, while the Entune USB I have for 2.1 is about 320MB.

ftl likes this.
  2. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Entune 2.2 seems to only apply to the base package - the premium package will not use this upgrade. My Source: the local Toyota dealer where I bought my Advanced PiP 13 months ago. Today happened to be the 5th, and final, Toyota-covered tune-up. The service guy added the Entune upgrade to the task list when I dropped the PiP off, but called me 20 minutes later with the info above.

I understand this info as therefore not applying to the PiP Advanced. I have no clear idea how this base/premium distinction applies to all the other non-PiP Prius, Prius C and Prius V trims available out there.

I hope this is helpful.

3. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my other source told me there is another update to the DA+Nav (Entune), when will it be out will be a mystery.
    has there been 5 SW update already?

the backup and restore feature is a cool way for quick way enter info from the PC.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The 2.2.0 update is for the Display Audio system; presumably the fancier navigation system on the top-level trims has different software.

5. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know where exactly to find the version information? The only version string I could find in my 2012 prius was 1.8.something

When I got the car in October, the dealer told me it already had the then-current update installed, which would have been 2.0 or 2.1, so I suspect I am not looking at the right version information.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This post describes how to do it on the C; hopefully it's something similar for your car.

7. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is exactly where I found it.

I wonder if the 2012 prius liftback doesn't use the same software as the Prius C? Or if my dealer just lied about it having the updates? (Yes, I have the regular nav, not the HD nav)

8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What version do you have? If it's anything lower than 2.2.0, tell the dealer you need the update called for on this T-SB. It's a free service as long as you're still in warranty.

Check the version again after the update to make sure they actually did it!

9. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just looked again and yeah, I am on 1.8.4.

I'm pretty annoyed that the dealer lied to me about this. Sure, it's easy to fix, but it's the principle of the thing.

10. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So I'm confused.. If you have an iPhone paired via Bluetooth (I don't have tethering option since I have a grandfathered unlimited plan), am I able to enter an APN and Entune credentials and get Entune to work without opening the app every single time?

11. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    without tethering option you cannot enter APN and Entune credentials to do it over Bluetooth.
    You still need to connect on internet to get it to work. The system does not auto connect over PAN/DUN.

12. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Their question was if you can do it over bluetooth with just an APN setting, without also using an 802.11 connection for a workaround. An APN is a cellphone-specific term for a device that routes data to your phone. (simplified explanation)

I am also curious about this. Once I finally get the entune update I will experiment and see if this can work; as it is now I can't get data to connect even with the Entune app with my new phone (though the old phone works; go figure)

13. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wait, 802.11?? WLAN? the system does not support Wifi. what is the work around? Entune work only over PAN/DUN and SPP. Care to elaborate on the 802.11 workaround?

APN setting is used after a DUN/PAN connection is establish. APN is Access Point Name, it is used by the phone carrier to assign u a IP address so that you can get a data on your phone.

I don't remember PAN connection needing APN info.

14. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got the 2.2 update installed free at the dealership. Wow what a world of difference!

-It's much quicker at screen redraws, particularly with lots of POI displayed
    -Quicker at re-calculating a path when making a wrong turn
    -The voice actually reads the names of roads it wants you to turn onto, usually at the 300 yard mark
    -A few other misc helpful extra announcements from the voice when appropriate
    -'side-of-the-street' announcements are back for the destination.
    -When starting guidance off-road, it tells you to 'proceed to the indicated path' (my previous version 1.8.4 did not do this)
    -May be my imagination, but the voice seems slightly quicker, like it finishes reading the same text in less time
    -Seemed quicker to boot and accept voice commands. I never saw an error about voice not being available.
    -Too early to tell for sure, but voice recognition accuracy seemed higher; I tried 4 destinations and several bing searches and it got all of them correct on the first try.
    -Apps were much quicker to pull up the voice input screen than the brief time I had with 2.1

In general it just feels quicker. This is how it should have been from the beginning!

16. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Wow, that sounds great! I really wish Toyota would mail a USB for this update as well, or let us download it on the net! It seems ridiculous that we have to give our cars to the dealer for typically a whole day for this stuff!! Uggg!!

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How 'bout an update for the 7.1 system? I haven't taken my car out of winter storage yet, but Entune didn't work worth a damn last season.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

18. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another change with 2.2:

Pronunciation is improved.

One road near me, Packard, used to be pronounced incorrectly; something like "PahCahrd"

Now it is correctly pronounced "PackArd"

19. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I called my local dealer today, he indicated that I did not need to make an appt. So I dropped by, and he updated to 2.2.
    I agree with the list nklb provided. Definitely more peppy, but not a remarkable difference only slight.
    My Bluetooth Tethering is still working fine.
    Bluetooth connection when starting and driving might be a couple seconds faster, nothing remarkable.
    I actually use Waze for navigating, but for fun I tried the Entune Nav, and street names etc are in fact announced. Actually very much like Waze! Now if only we could get the Entune to capture real time traffic from Waze, I wouldn't need my phone for Nav!

20. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I was up for my 5K maintenance today and went to Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. I asked the Asst Service Manager if they can also include updating my navigation software to version 2.2.0 and said I have to purchase it - Cost is $160. :mad: