1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entunes and iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Wanderer, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Entunes is giving us fits trying to connect the data portion over Bluetooth. Power cycling and turning bluetooth on and off haven't fixed the problem. Triple checked credentials and those are fine. Going to try over USB later today but that won't work as a long term solution. I bought it for Bluetooth functionality.

Now with that said I noticed something yesterday that upset me. It appears Siri and the car viice recognition can't coexist but the car can't do all of Siri's functions or vice versa. Has anyone figured this out?

I bought each device with a set of functions in mind but they can't seem to coexist peacefully. Any ideas? W

2. Gtom75

Gtom75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My understanding is that you have to use the USB cable for data (Entune). Bluetooth works for phone and music. But I am not sure if that is an Toyota or Apple issue.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I guess it's the cable until either party gets this fixed. Apple has always been a bit difficult to get along with for third parties. W

4. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a word of advice use a "factory" apple cable, The aftermarket cables have been causing connection issues.

5. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Will do JHill. I don't have a choice with the case I use. W

6. Sandbeamie

Sandbeamie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    My new iPhone 4S is not connecting Bluetooth to my Prius V. Anybody know how to fix problem? The Internet connects just fine. Only thing not working is Bluetooth. Help!!

7. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For which portion? Phone? Music? Has it ever worked or is this a first time install? W

8. Sandbeamie

Sandbeamie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    When I had the car hooked up to my iPhone 3G, I had no problem with Bluetooth. I found it to be one of the car's nicer features. I upgraded to a 4S, and I keep getting "connection failed" message. Can't figure it out. I've started over and over again, even talked with Apple at length, who said it was a Toyota problem. Either I go back to my 3G, and have the Bluetooth work, or keep Siri and other neat stuff of 4S and have no hands free. I just need help. Will take my Prius V to Toyota dealership and maybe some Apple genius at the dealership can help.

Help!!

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok here are my observations with my 4s:

You have 3 available Bluetooth functions and 2 work. Phone, music streaming and Internet.

1 the phone must be paired with the radio. The old phone is seen as a different device.

2 the 4s apparently uses a newer version of the Bluetooth protocol than the radio supports for DATA (Internet). The phone and music streaming work as expected over Bluetooth. To use the Internet plug the phone into the USB port with the phone's cable. A fix is supposedly in the works but I will believe it when I see it.

Siri does NOT work when the phone portion is connected. The car seems to conflict and Siri crashes.

Making and receiving calls works fine.
    Streaming music located on the iPhone works fine.
    Internet functions need the cable plugged into USB.

I think you are trying to use the data (internet) function and it's failing. Try the USB cable and see if that works.

You should be able to do the other functions as normal.

Hope this helps,
    W

10. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When pairing the 4s. there is 2 diff ways you can do it. You can have the phone search for the car or the car search for the phone. try both if you are having issues. i find it easier for the car to find the phone.

11. Poiks

Poiks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ROGER that. Thank you for this tip. I had an off-brand cable and got an error "Power consumption of USB device too high". Resolved with the factory cable.

12. theBOAT

theBOAT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm going to try this today myself... I was just about to post that I cannot get my iPod to not skip every second or two over the cable (Bluetooth audio works fine, even streaming the Sirius app).

Just signed up for this forum today, and it's already (hopefully) paying dividends! Thanks.

theBOAT

13. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting note: Prior to starting our overnight test drive, the dealer did a quick summary of features. He asked if I have a smartphone. I said yes, an iPhone (4), and he said you will need to use the USB port. I said nto BT? He said will yeah, for calls, but for full use you need to use USB cable.

14. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    His explaination wasnt 100% correct. You can use the bluetooth for phone/ music streaming. If you want to use entune you will have to register the "vin" to an entune account. Which if you do not purchase the vehicle it can become an issue for the future owner.

15. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I understood that I would not be able to register/pair it, this was supposedly about after purchase. As I think back on the discussion I think he said that it would wrok better over USB, rather than it would not work over BT.

16. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as they say "to each his own" but usb connection will have no effect on bluetooth connection for voice calls. the usb will charge the phone while plugged in and allows control of itunes music through head unit. But if you want to use pandora its easier to use the bluetooth streaming for that unless you are using entune.

1 person likes this.
  17. Lighthouseguy

Lighthouseguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've an iPhone also and got it paired with Bluetooth. But....can't get it connected to Entunes & visa versa. But makes no difference. I've got all those Apps on my phone & all were free...so who ends 'em! Entunes DOES suck! ... at the moment....

18. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the iphone 4or 4s. you need to tether the phone to the car via usb. secondly you need to have the app on the phone and opened up. In order to use entune.

1 person likes this.
  19. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the iphone 4or 4s. you need to tether the phone to the car via usb. secondly you need to have the app on the phone and opened up. In order to use entune.

20. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Manual says that iPhone will only do Bluetooth internet connection via USB port while Android/Blackberry's can do Bluetooth internet.

The USB port on the 2012 Prius is problematic (see other conversation on USB port power problems).

I did find EVERYTHING worked as advertised with my iPhone4 if I plugged in via USB. Phone and Music worked via Bluetooth only. Internet required USB port.

I have a battery pack case for the iPhone that completely freaks out the Prius USB port but that is likely "my problem" since the iPhone works when plugged in by itself.