1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environment and settling on mileage goals

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Stratman, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Filled up today and got 50.2 actual with 53.8 on the CONS display. With my hilly commute, albeit it a bit of a lower elevation headed home, I'm settling in to be content with 50+mpg no matter which route I take. Funny thing is I realized this when I went to a colleagues house to help her with a plumbing issue last weekend. She lives parallel to all the hills I must take to work and all the high mileage tricks I've learned here netted in the high 60's to and from her house. If my office was situated in her area of town I could easily top 60mpg per tank. The whole trip was a classic P&G. I finally feel as though I'm doing the best I can with the environment in which I have to work.

Anybody else have a similar, cathartic "Prius moment"?

retired4999, bwilson4web and KennyGS like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after 8 years and 2 pri, i was was always trying to eek out one or two tenths more mpg. the game became quite laborious. i was ready to 'just drive it', when i was saved by the pip.:cool:

retired4999 likes this.
  3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congratulations!

My commute to and from work takes me over 9 ridges, which has limited me to an average just below 50 mpg in my Prius. Still much better than anything else I've driven on that route. I'm happy. :)

4. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Much better that anything else I've driven" is the key to it all. Although I could sometimes get over 40mpg on the highway with my '08 Corolla, I barely got 28mpg on my work commute only tanks. Also, what bisco said about the pips holds true. Having it right there in front of you helps to regulate your driving habits. I have learned that "flooring it" going uphill doesn't reasonably get me up to speed any faster than not "flooring it". The instantaneous pips have been a real eye opener there. My wife's CR-V has an instantaneous pip also and I have increased highway mileage on it on long trips by about 4mpg by keeping a watchful eye. I got almost 30mpg on a recent trip to Jax Fl when she usually gets about 26mpg.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are doing it right . . . experimentally testing what works and what doesn't. Many years ago, I tested every route to and from work:
    [​IMG]
    It is not just MPG but also distance. What I found was using initially a neighborhood route and always the slower path from work along with the access roads gave me a substantial fuel efficiency improvement, 4.05 gal/week -> 2.29 gal/week, at the cost of an additional 6 min and 26 seconds per trip. It is the difference between filling up every two weeks or three.

Not shown are the alternative routes that allowed even slower speeds but added lights and delays. Yet those 'less traveled' routes have advantages in "rush minute," foul weather, and power outages along with shops to visit on the way home.

Since your commuting route involves transiting ridges, it makes sense to use Google Map to work out every alternate route and over time, test them. Notice my testing uses a week duration and were done 416 weeks ago. One day is a small sample and it takes multiple days to complete a credible test.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Stratman and telmo744 like this.
  6. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will definetly take a look at Google Maps. I will also try specific routes for a week at a time starting Monday. I have tried to be as scientific as possible, gauging alternate routes using the most used in the past, as sort of my control but haven't stuck with one for more than a day or so at a time. Thanks Bob.

7. jlwoods99

jlwoods99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are pips. Also can anyone tell me what is the best screen to watch. Is there a way to set up a screen reading out Mpg's instantly beside the bars that go up and down between o and 100.
    thanks!
    jim

8. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A pip is the little bars like on your battery indicator or the fuel guage. The HSI, hybrid system indicator is the thing to watch. It has moving arrows indicating energy flow from or to the battery or wheels when green and when red indicates the ICE, internal combustion engine, is running. It will have an area at the bottom center that says CONS. It shows your mpg's since the trip meter was last reset. I've only had mine since March so maybe the Gurus will chime in to elaborate more and, hopefully, correct me for any inaccuracies in my explanation.

Hint from another quasi-newbie. Use the instantaneous 0-100mpg indicator. It will help to hone your driving habits for the most efficiency as you learn. It's immediate feedback.

jlwoods99 likes this.
  9. jlwoods99

jlwoods99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't been able to get the Mpgs to show since the last trip was reset. Still working on the manual and thought I'd done what was indicated on page 234 iirc. fun car

jim

10. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Click through the menus with the DISP button on the right side of the steering wheel. It will look like this. It will say "hybrid system indicator" on top (kind of a fuzzy picture I snapped). The CONS display is at the center bottom and displays the mpg's since the trip was reset (A or B depending on how many times you click the DISP button). The CONS number has always been about 5% over my actual calculated mileage.

Attached Files:

#10 Stratman, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  11. jlwoods99

jlwoods99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that is the one I can't get to program. Do you do it from the screen in your picture?

jim

12. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you get to the HSI you can then click TRIP (just under the DISP button on steering wheel) and cycle through a few screens that change the line below HSI. One shows trip A, the next is trip B and the next is ODO (odometer). When you get to trip A or B, hold down the TRIP button for a second or 2 and it resets them to zero.

I'm still learning this thing myself. After a fillup mine used to automatically go to SETTINGS to set the price I paid per gal. It didn't do that on my last fillup and I can't seem to figure out how to cycle through SETTINGS to change it.

13. budrow56

budrow56 Junior Member

Yeah I feel the same.

iPhone ?

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For me there's a clue in your title: "mileage". Not miles-per-gallon mileage, miles travelled mileage.

This is something everyone can do, with any car. Hell, the BEST results are by the car-less.

We're tanking up about once a month now, and even then it's 23~24 liters.

15. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the states "mileage" means miles per gallon.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. jlwoods99

jlwoods99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all I got it set and working great!

jim

17. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just accept that the CONS number isn't based on simple math but some more complicated means that may or may not be that accurate.

So long as you are dividing the miles you traveled since last fill up by the volume you just topped the tank off with, you're pretty spot on.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The CONS math:

distance travelled / gallons consumed * 1.08

19. jlwoods99

jlwoods99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just figured my mpg's for the second tank of gas now that I got the trip figured out and I got 51.5 mpg. And that is with the wife driving like she normally does. When we got it she didn't want to be messing with all the displays. So she still drives the way she always has. I'm happy with that number.

jim

retired4999 likes this.