1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ERDTT = Engine Running Due To Temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ny_rob, Mar 14, 2014.

1. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15 degrees outside? here in Eau claire, Wi. This year in February our average temp was 7.7 degrees! the volt would have run all month?

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my short time as a PIP owner, I've acquired much respect for the Prius design. While I am a fiddler (love to fiddle) I wouldn't want to disable the ICE starting up. It's too important that inverters and converters be kept in a safe operating temperature range, and the ICE is programmed to do that. It's a sophisticated system, and I don't want to mess it up.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the electronics (inverter, etc) are fine at low temps- it's the traction battery that needs protection.
    The PIP doesn't have active low temp protection for it's traction battery- so they run the ICE which heats the cabin which in turn heats the battery. More importantly- at low temps a cold battery can't discharge or charge at the same rate as a warm battery, so they offload some of the job of pushing the vehicle to the ICE in very low temps to protect the battery from excessive current flow in either direction.

4. EVExtend

EVExtend Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Doesn't the PiP run the engine whenever heat is requested, regardless of outside temperature?

What happens when it's under 15F, is the Volt cycles its engine, so yes. It will use the engine to assist the resistive heater in heating up the coolant faster, solely to warm the cabin for passenger comfort. Once the coolant reaches a certain temperature, the engine turns off for a while until the coolant temperature decreases to the "turn on" set point again.

It works quite well for longer trips, but it is frustrating to people for shorter commutes since they have a full battery, and unlike the Plug in Prius, they have the resistive heater to provide heat without need for the engine, strictly speaking.

The hope is they'll eventually provide a configurable option to disable the engine assisted heating altogether, as they have many similar configurable options in the Volt. (For example, the set point can be changed between 15F and 35F; the engine assisted heating can also be set to disabled for when the vehicle is plugged in.)

It's sort of amusing in that people become so frustrated at burning a tiny amount of gasoline to warm the cabin... but as everyone here has found out too, that electric drive is just so addicting, using zero gasoline becomes a challenge many people enjoy. :)

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, it starts when heat is asked for. I just don't ask for heat!
    Real short trips 2-3 miles takes me about 5-7 minutes. :)

6. EVExtend

EVExtend Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt

And that's the real annoying subtlety with the Volt... The engine starts regardless of whether or not heat is asked for, if you're below that temperature. I think this was fixed with the 2014, and all but the most dedicated EVers will usually want heat anyway, but still. :)

retired4999 likes this.
  7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It seems to me that the system is designed to save fuel, and it does it well. The engine doesn't run unless it has to, but when it starts up, I'm sure it's for a good reason. I have no desire to micromanage my PIP hybrid system.

glen68 and Lourun like this.
  8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

It would be nice if the PIP wouldn't start the ICE if in ECO mode and the fan speed was set to low. This way you could at least turn on the system and adjust the temp and/or get any heat out of the system without forcing the ICE to come one. Same thing for the Volt and other plugins...
    I guess the car makers think they would get too many service complaints of no heat.

Mike

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have much doubt that any damage traced back to disabling the engine-start sequence would void the warranty, not to mention the expense.

10. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I don't think anyone is suggesting making a mod to the car...this is a suggestion for Toyota and other car makers for future models.

Mike

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Based on all the developments that Toyota has made in the Prius to save fuel in every conceivable way, don't you think that they have already done their best to minimize the run-time of the combustion engine?

A good example is the way they installed a heat-exchanger in the exhaust system to shorten the time it takes to warm up the engine coolant.

glen68 likes this.
  12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saving fuel is actually the secondary objective. The primary is to reduce emission -- not just the exhaust but also upstream (vehicle production as well as fuel production).

If the engine is running when you think it should not, most likely it is done to keep the emission low.

13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That actually doesn't make sense. Emissions are a fixed target, while fuel economy is a moving target; whereby the Prius commands a premium price for its superior fuel economy.

14. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually no. Here is just one example. You have a full charge and are going less than that distance. It is a cool sunny day and the car is a bit hot and you want the fan on...not the A/C, not the heat, just the fan to bring in outside air. You turn on the fan, but since the last time you had the fan on (last night) you had the heat on with temp=Hi. You can't know this from looking because the temp doesn't show until after you turn on the fan. This triggers the ICE to come on because you can't press the temp down arrow to go from Hi to Lo faster than the car decodes the ICE needs to run. There was absolutely no reason to have the ICE on, the entire warmup cycle was essentially wasted. And about the only way to get around this is to turn on just the accessory mode, turn on the fan, change the temp, turn the car on via break pedal and power switch. But of course you have to remember to do all this before you drive off.

There are probably other examples.

The car is great, but not perfect.

Mike

15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The ICE may have to run for a variety of other reasons besides running the heater. The aux battery may be low or the computer may need to equalize temperatures in the inverter/converter

16. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure...but not in this case. Try it a few times. It is just as I say.

Mike

17. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree happens to me quite a lot.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope. Emission and fuel economy are trade-offs. For example, HSD would not shutdown the ICE until catalytic converter is certain temp. That's using extra gas for the purpose of emission.

3PriusMike likes this.
  19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, that makes even less sense to me.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense if low emissions are a priority vs fuel economy...;)

I've also had my ICE run (as in Mike's example above) because I forgot to turn the temp control down to LOW before shutting the car off on my last trip.... it's very frustrating.
    Toyota could have built a 30 second delay in to the system to give you time to turn down the temp setting after ignition.