1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV in basic PIP vs. EV in advanced PIP - Any difference?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jozo, May 3, 2012.

1. Jozo

Jozo PIP PIP HOORAY!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is just a thought from the electrically-challenged, non-engineering, lawyer-brained, advanced PIP-owning peanut gallery:

while I know there is a 'house battery' that powers all the gee-gaws and knick-knacks that differentiate the basic from the advanced model, is there any reason the advanced might get slightly less EV efficiency than the basic?

I think I am noticing a trend in reporting EV capacity, seeing slightly more in people who have the basic model than those of us with the advanced.

Just wondering...

2. genetiix

genetiix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you mean slightly less due to the increased amount of technology crammed in thus using more battery? Than I would say yes (larger NAV, pcs, hud, premium sound system, safety connect... Etc).

Would there be a noticeable difference in EV range or MPG?.. Likely not.

These are my opinions coming from an accountant with a basic PIP.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to tell with a scangauge. With each type of vehicle powered on and in Ready, the amps being drawn from the battery tell you the total electrical load. Say there is a difference of 1 amp, or about 300 watts (can't remember the nominal voltage off the top of my head). For each hour you're driving the Advanced consumes 300wh more, and the PiP seems to use about 230wh per mile. So for each hour of operation the Advanced would be losing 1.3 miles of EV distance. If you're in EV for ~20 minutes then the difference would be about 0.4 miles.

1 person likes this.