1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode clarification

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LDB, Oct 8, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the HSI when the EV symbol lights up does that mean there is zero gasoline consumption going on?

2. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might want to read your manual as I see you are a new owner (as I am too--2015). But yes as far as I know that is correct. At the end of the day just drive your car like a normal car. it's designed to average 50 mpg by just driving normal. You might actually hurt your consumption if you're trying to ride the EV wave too long.

3. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wanted to check for times like a drive up ATM. It goes to the EV light so I don't turn it off/on like I would have my old fashioned key in the ignition gasoline only car. I wanted to be sure I wasn't burning gasoline like I thought I understood it.

I've been reading the manual but it seems very mediocre to me. Maybe it's just me but I don't find it very user friendly or well edited or useful.

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're stopped, such as an ATM, you should be able to hear the ICE running or not. For times when you're moving in EV mode, you can select the CAR button on the center stack, and see a graphic of the power driving the wheels (ICE, battery or both).

5. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, sometimes I can hear but sometimes the traffic noise overwhelms anything else. That's when I wanted to be sure it was doing what I thought it was doing.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the understatement of the day! It does contain a lot of useful information, if you can stand to plow through all the insignificant trivia, irrelevant sections, and lawyerly warnings to find it.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When the "EV" symbol lights up the engine is not using fuel. This does not mean it's not turning, as at higher speeds it may be turning with no fuel injected (to protect MG1 from over-spin). This is often referred to as "stealth mode".
    If you are not in a ridiculously noisy place, and stopped, you can hear the engine is not running. It's often easier to hear it stop than to notice it is not running. A change is easier to notice than a constant state condition.

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YES. EV means your vehicle is operating in electric-only mode. If the ICE kicks in, the EV symbol turns off.

9. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. That's what I understood but wanted to be certain.