1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV question - uphill

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pasaman, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I was going up this huge hill today and had EV mode on and had 10 miles of EV. I noticed the EV kicked off and I assumed it was because of the hill. I kept the bar out of the power area. The car was warmed up already since EV was in prior to going up the hill

2 questions - did the EV turn off because if the hill even though I didn't go into the power area? After the hill I went on a perfectly flat road and I could not get the EV to kick back in. I even wnment into the regen area and it still wouldn't. I toggled EV on off on and still nothing. It finally kicked in about five minutes later. What happened here?

j12piprius likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) either the hill caused the battery to overheat, or you hit the powerline for a millisecond without realizing it.
    2) the ice had to warm up once it started, then you get ev back.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  3. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Once HV kicks in, you have two choices.

1) live with it until you reach 130°F, or;
    2) pull over, turn off the engine, then start up again in EV

Hills play havoc with the EV system. Next time, before you hit the uphill, go into PWR mode and see if that helps. You should be able to move without pressing the pedal (and the EV motor) too far.

j12piprius likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depending on the battery SOC, temp and outside temp, you may not have full EV power.

When outside temp was 20 deg F, I only had about 20 hp before ICE kicking in. The lower the SOC, the more power available. A full battery is less tolerable for high discharge.

That's the nature of lithium battery.

5. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't believe the PWR mode does anything besides change the "law" of the accelerator pedal, making it ask for more power at smaller depressions. Does any one have any evidence that is does anything else? In other words, I don't think the PWR mode changes the relationship between the power meter and the motor torque.

6. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If your trip is going to require the ICE at sometime later you would be better off to go into HV for that hill and the warm up to 130 degrees. Save the EV miles for where they are more efficient. If its a short trip you will have to go a little slower up the hill to stay away from that milisecond of hitting the pwr area as described in another posting.

7. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes. It is rarely a good idea to use EV on steep and/or long uphills. On downhills, however, switch to EV and let your range increase markedly.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  8. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    That doesn't sound right. Typical Lithium-ion batteries can discharge higher power output at a high SOC but can take back in a lower power level during regen. The opposite is true at low SOC where a relatively high amount of regen power can be absorbed but the output power capability is reduced.

This is why the Tesla and LEAF etc. when near fully charged can run into regeneration limits when they are nearly fully charged even in pleasant temperatures. The Prius Plugin and other plugin hybrids like the Volt and etc. may face regen limits not primarily because of underlying battery limits but because their control software limits their SOC to be under 90% to enhance battery lifetime. The Prius may face these limitations more frequently because its smaller battery can reach its maximum SOC quicker during regen.

This is also why quick DC charging a Tesla or LEAF slows down the power as the battery gets over 80% SOC although there is no power limitation when flooring the go pedal on a fully range charged Model S (or LEAF).

The power output limitations you saw in the Prius Plugin on a fully charged battery were likely due only to cold temperatures.

9. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you responding to me or to the original poster? It's true that a fully charged battery pack can't absorb more power.

10. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks all for the info. I never knew once the ICE turned on that the EV wouldn't go back on until the ICE was warmed up. Because of this my efficiency today was much improved!

11. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Once its warmed up.. it will shut off quickly if that happens again.
    If u get the throttle bar into pwr section during ev driving it will trigger the ice.. so avoid that if possible.

Galaxy Note 10.1 ? Pro