1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

evaporative leak check: how often, how long, drain on 12 volt?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cwerdna, Sep 10, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, so when I was a newbie, I did post the below text from a tag that came w/my Prius.
    I've definitely been in the garage multiple times (including last night) when I heard the leak check going on.
    Anyone have any idea how long the leak check actually runs and how much of a drain on the 12 volt there is each time? It seems like it goes on for many minutes. (I've never been present when it started and then stopped, only while it was in progress.) Also, once it's done, does that mean 24 or 29 hours later, it could get run again, if the car hasn't been turned on, in between?
    I know we've discussed 12 volt (normal) parasitic drain from the SKS and other electronics, but I don't think it accounts for the leak check.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it ran only once per shutoff, no repeats. I have never heard it run a second time, though the likelihood of having caught it in action declines with time since shutoff. It runs several minutes, but I can't pin it down closer than that.

3. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How exact is this '5 hours'? It takes quite some work, but if we know this time to the starttime to within a few minutes, I'll try to perform a measurement with a series ampere meter. If it is within a 2 hour window, then I'm not waiting for it...

My 20A multimeter does have an expensive fast blowing fuse (I bought it second hand with a blown fuse, that's how I know...) so I hope it's under 20A...:LOL:

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I think it's pretty close. I'm not sure if European ones have it. If you have the fuel bladder and coolant thermos, then it's more likely you have it.

We in CA have pretty strict standards to meet the AT-PZEV requirements that the Prius is certified to.

6. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In that case I'll first try to listen if I can hear it before wiring in the amperemeter :D

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sat next to the car from 4:50 to 5:15 hours after shutting it down but no sound...

8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW, asked someone at the dealer and he just gave me a blank stare. Mind you, he consulted the SALES guys to double check...:ROFLMAO: So still no clue whether mine has it or not.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've noticed that if I go to check the oil level, no matter what time of the day or night, it always seems to "purr" at me while I'm checking the dipstick. I wonder if that's the same noise? And I always thought it was just happy to see me. :p

10. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The term 'purr' sounds about right for the whirring, electric-motor-like sound mine makes. :ROFLMAO:

Have you located where it (roughly) comes from? When IN the car (LHD like yours), it's behind the glovecompartment somewhere. Haven't heard it very often outside the car, so not sure yet.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that you open the driver's door first, so that you can access the hood release lever. When you do so, the brake actuator pump will run to pressurize the brake system. The skid control ECU thinks that you may be about to make the car READY, so it wants the braking system to be ready for use.

cwerdna likes this.
  12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The UK/Europe version of the Prius does not have the evaporation test pump as we do not have the bladder in the tank I am glad to say.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep that's it. Actually I knew that, but I just like to think that it's "purring" because I'm taking good care of the oil. ;)

14. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! Much of my information about the Prius comes from here, but I am clueless as to what is or is not US specific... I was under the impression we had the bladder-tank and was always careful not to overfill, but I guess I can start doing what I do with all my other cars/motorcycles: full to the brim :cool:

Edit: I owe the Toyota employee an apology for not trusting his answers...:confused:

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The bladder is only used on the gen2 versions of the Prius sold in the US. All the rest of the world get a standard fuel tank (makes filling easy). You can top the car up but do not try to get in every last drop you can as this can flood the charcoal canister giving rough running and will waste fuel.

R-P likes this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the bladder is also standard equipment with 2G sold in Canada, and we definitely do not want to designate their territory as part of the US...

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry should have said the American northern continent.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh... that explains the rattlesnake like buzz (which I guessed was the brake accumulator) pump that I recall hearing around the time I open the hood. It's very brief and only for a second or two

The evap check sounds TOTALLY different and sounds like a light whirring fan noise and goes on for minutes. I don't know how many minutes though.