1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evaporator cleaning/deodorizing DIY.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by A617, Mar 18, 2015.

1. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So its springtime and that means A/C season, but unfortunately my a/c has been smelling like a dirty crusty gym socks, solution? Toyota's Evaporator Cleaning kit. Part number 00289ACRKT

IMG_1525.JPG

It comes in 2 cans 1 foam that you instill into the evaporator via the water drain and the other its a aerosol spray that deodorizes the vent, I bought this on Ebay for $20 while my local dealer wanted $49.99+tax for just the foam (my local dealer sucks btw) The can has some (universal) instructions written. this is my first time using this so if i made some errors correct me.

What you'll need
    1 Toyota Evaporator cleaning Kit, part number 00289ACRKT
    1 Cabin filter

*Before you begin set the temperature to low and turn off the car. Do not run the fan or start the vehicle while the foam is in the system!

1. (Optional) Find your a/c evaporator drain line, this if you want to put a drain pan to catch it (to see what junks comes out) its located on the right side (passenger side) behind the engine you'll need some light to see the pipe sticking out.
    IMG_1528.JPG

2. Due to access problem of the outside drain line i used this route, Go to the passenger side and remove the glove box and lower kick panel (similar to when you're replacing your cabin filter), then peel back the floor mat to expose the drain line from the evaporator,
    IMG_1531.JPG

3.Disconnect the outside drain line from the evaporator
    IMG_1545.JPG

4. The kit should have a clear line with a cone attached at the end, Insert the cone end of the line into the evaporator drain line first, then assemble/attach the line on to the foam spray (step 1) this will cause some to the foam to immediately discharge when you assemble it, remove the plastic protective cap spray trigger and press and hold the spray nozzle until 1/2 of the can has been discharged into the evaporator.
    IMG_1560.JPG IMG_1546.JPG

5. After discharging 1/2 of the can pinch the evaporator drain line, disconnect the cone from evaporator and reattach to the evaporator line to drain outlet and let the foam do its job, the foam will turn into liquid and it will come out on its own it will take around 10 mins to completely drain all of the product, repeat steps 3-5 for the other 1/2 can.
    IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1544.JPG

Comment. When you spray the foam goes in the evaporator compartment expands covering every little possible nook and cranny of the evaporator thus coating it and cleaning/deodorize/disinfecting it after 5 mins the foam turns into fluid and it runs out of your evaporator drain line . Heres what came out, the color is originally brownish, there were some fine sediment at the bottom of the pan.
    IMG_1541.JPG

6. After completing the other 1/2 can of foam and theres no more liquid coming out of the evaporator drain pipe, reinstall the carpet, but leave the glove box and lower kick panel open.
    IMG_1544.JPG

7.Get the aerosol can (step 2) go to a well ventilated area, remove the cabin filter, close all doors and windows,
    IMG_1525 - Copy.JPG IMG_1553.JPG

Set the climate control to the following: a/c off, temperature low and fan high (max) and outside air (see picture for clarification),
    IMG_1562.JPG

Locate to the outside fresh air vent (located on passenger side) and start spraying in left to right sweeping pattern, use the entire can, and let it run for 5 mins.
    IMG_1555.JPG

After 5 mins has elapse open the window and let the excess aerosol/scent vent out.

Thats about it dont forget to replace with a new cabin filter and reinstall the glove box. your car vent will smell clean, the scent is VERY strong for the first few hours and it smells plesent almost like lemon, synthetic lemon to be exact.

I don't know how long it will last but i'll update this page time to time.

#1 A617, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Fostel, James Powers, R-P and 10 others like this.
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice thread.

[​IMG]

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "synthetic lemon" smell like? :cautious:

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice write up! I plan to do this as part of my car's "Spring Cleaning."

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It will be hands to work very soon....(y)

6. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the write up, the pics really help. That will save a lot of time, I like the idea of working at the connection for the drain tube.

7. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ***UPDATE***
    Its almost been a week since i've done this and i've been using my a/c quite often almost everyime i drive, and so far so good, the scent from the product (synthetic lemon) has dramatically decreased down to very faint, vents is beginning to smell neutral, no foul odor as of yet. Next update 1 month from now.

visualfx likes this.
  8. visualfx

visualfx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great write up. Will be adding this to my to do list

9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just did this, here's a video :D

frodoz737 likes this.
  10. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice video. I could not find the toyota kit. Searched ebay and amazon and google. Any hints?

11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    google.com and enter "auto evaporator cleaner" without the quotes, lots of kits less than Toyota.

12. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought mine from Toyota dealership, costed 20$

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I run mine A/C almost every day, every month of the year (California) and never have had any smell from my vents. Is it the lack of use that cause bad smells?

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Generally, yes.

If an AC goes unused, things can get in that block things up. I suppose it could happen with AC use, but it would have to happen quick.

Most AC stench I notice (both auto and home) comes from those "transient" periods where it's not hot or cold enough to use AC/heat. Then, when you kick it in, you get that stench from all the stuff that lingered in the vents during that time.

Also, mold and mildew have a hard time growing when the air is constantly moving. If you don't need AC/heat, it helps to keep the fan running so fresh air is constantly circulating.

15. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could/Be.......constant AC use = constant condensate drainage/flushing........FWIW

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We use AC only infrequently, and I'm no noticing any smell. Main use is dehumidifying when it's raining. AC can run (unasked) when you set mode to Heat/Defog.

I think if you NEVER used AC there'd be no mildew issues. AC use invariably causes water vapour to condensate on its "radiator" in the the HV system. If this water does not get a chance to dry out you get mold.

#16 Mendel Leisk, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Regardless why...if it stinks clean it. Many thanks to A617 and NutzAboutBolts.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  18. WA///M

WA///M New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent write up. Thank you.

19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i searched the part number and they sell for about $15. cheaper than some comparable aftermarket products. many thanks to the OP.

20. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to perform this on my 2011 Prius, but am having a hard time finding the cleaning kit for even $20. I called multiple dealers around my area and they all want $40... is there anywhere I can find it for cheap instead? I can't even find these on eBay...