1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evo 4G LTE car's usb port/bluetooth connectivity issues. Please help!

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by darkleafar, Jun 9, 2012.

1. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So I just recently upgraded from an Evo 3D to the Evo 4g LTE, and the phone is gorgeous and all, but I've lost a major feature and it is scaring the hell out of me, I hope you guys can help:

Intro to my problem:
    I have a 2012 Prius V three, which has built in Bluetooth and an USB port (display audio with navigation and Entunes). My Evo 3D lacked the right level of bluetooth AVRCP profile needed in order to display track names, artwork, etc, on my Prius Nav screen through bluetooth. So to work around that, I would plug in my Evo 3D into the Prius's USB port, then I would select "Disk drive/USB mass storage mode" on the phone and voila! My car saw all my music, complete with track names, album artwork, etc.

My main problem:
    All of my music is in my 16GB MicroSD card, so I figured just putting it into my new LTE Evo would suffice...but it didnt. When I plug in my LTE Evo, the "Disk drive/USB mass storage mode" NO LONGER triggers my car detecting it. I noticed a new option, called "Media Sync." Selecting that WILL trigger my car dectecting the phone storage, but it ONLY detects the BUILT IN phone storage, not what's on my MicroSD card.

What's even worse...
    Also, if you are wondering, the LTE Evo, despite having Bluetooth 4.0, STILL DOES NOT have the right level of AVRCP needed to display album artwork and track names over bluetooth. I was very, extremely disappointed when I realized this. I ve always been a loyal Anti-Apple/Pro-Windows/pro-Android kinda tech guy, but how come Iphones have been able to do this (track names and album artwork over bluetooth) for several years and this new super phone of ours cannot?

Where I need your help:

1. How can I make it so that my car can recognize my MicroSD card, not just my phone's storage?
    2. I'm not gonna be forced to stick my music into my phone's built in storage instead of my MicroSD card, am I?
    3. Isnt there any software/firmware or mods/rooting stuff I can do to enable tracknames and album artwork over bluetooth on this phone, since it already has bluetooth 4.0 after all?

Well, thank you very much for your time and I hope y'all have some awesome answers, more than greatly appreciated.

2. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Android 4.0 uses a different storage architecture which unfortunately may break some devices' ability to read them over USB. The idea was that, in older OS versions, USB mass storage mode resulted in the OS having to unmount the drive and being unable to read it during that time. Now it uses a protocol called MTP (media transfer protocol). I heard that some devices with 4.0 and SD slots can still do mass storage mode for the card, but I have a Galaxy Nexus with no card slot so I can't speak to that.

If you are rooted (warning, there be dragons here!), you might be able to set up a symlink to make the MP3 folder of your card appear to be a subdirectory of the internal storage.

Aside from that you could:
    - copy to internal storage, or
    - stick the card straight into a USB reader and plug that into the car instead of your phone, or
    - use the USB only for charging, and play music over Bluetooth.

I noticed the metadata issue as well. No answers for you there at the moment.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

3. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thing is USB mass storage works just fine with my computer, for example. I use ITUNES + ISyncr to sync music to my device, and that still works flawlessly. Now something is intriguing. This guy xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Evo 4G LTE car's usb port/bluetooth connectivity issues. Please help! says his metadata works just fine over bluetooth. What gives?

4. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so there has been a development: Turns out, I had USB debugging on. If I turn off, my car is able to see my music through the "Media Sync" option (So its actually reading from the MicroSD card). However, its all completely whack. It sees the music and displays all its proper information, album, artist, album art, BUT its not organized as such. On the Browse feature (through my car's Nav screen) if I click on Artists, it shows "All artists" and "Unknown". Same with Albums category. Under playlists, my playlists show up, but when you click them it says "No Content".
    Now, when you look under the songs category, songs appear as follows:
    01 (track number) Random song for Android lovers (song name)
    The thing is I have over 1200 songs, and its as though its seeing my whole library as a single, gigantic album. Every single song that is track number one in its respective album appears first in the song list, followed by every single song that is track number two in its respective album, etc. For example:
    01 First song of muse's absolution album
    01 First song of muse's uprising album
    01 First song of Nirvana's unplugged album
    02 Second song of muse's absolution album
    02 Second song of muse's uprising album
    02 Second song of Nirvana's unplugged album
    and so on, of course, because I have a big library, the above example occurs in a much much larger scale, where there are several track 01's. several track 02's, etc.
    This is completely weird, and I have never in my life encountered such a problem. Could it have something to do with the the "Media Sync" USB mode option using an MTP protocol which doesnt recognize whatever metadata tagging system ITUNES is using? (I use ITUNES with ISyncr) Please help! I'm seriously considering returning the phone if I cant figure this out. Being able to fully control my music library through my car's Nav screen was one of the most used features I enjoyed on my previous phone (Evo 3D) :(

5. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On my Galaxy Nexus, iSyncr uses MTP, not mass storage mode.

No idea regarding the USB situation. I was renting this week and they gave me a Fiat 500 with Bluetooth for phone but not media audio. I plugged it in to charge, and partway through the drive I accidentally hit the media button... It started playing some spam voicemail I'd saved to storage from my email. I think it was alphabetically the first file on there.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2