1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

explicit wiring directions for stealth wire harness connections?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by noctiluca, Dec 29, 2016.

1. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,

I took apart my dash, following the 3 part video for the stealth install of an aftermarket stereo and realized there wasn't enough information to do the wiring. I assumed I misunderstood needing to buy the 1761 part and wired straight to the harnesses that came with the stereo. Wrong. Can someone please describe explicitly which color wires go to which part? All the photos and video online that I've found so far are too blurry to see what's what. Something like:

1761 connect to 1760:

purple
    purple with stripe
    etc etc

I'm attaching a photo of the parts I have. The two disconnected pieces are the reverse wiring harness (1761), the black pieces came with the stereo, the other two are the typical wiring harness (1760).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my car is currently in pieces :)

[​IMG]

2. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Here's the image...

Attached Files:

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1st thing is, do you have JBL or base system?

4. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    base.

i tried rewiring so that the red, yellow and black were split between 1761, 1760 and the stereo wire harness (black) and that didnt work either :( no power or sound to/from either stereo unit, but everything on the large display works fine.

5. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there is a thread on here with parts and wiring diagrams needed to do the stealth install, and I think it also explains how to attach the 68 ohm resistor you need to solder into your adapter harness. also need a metra axxess if you want to use the steering wheel buttons. I bought a scosche adapter harness from ebay that came with the resistor already installed.

make sure all your crimps have good continuity, sometimes those cheesy butt connectors don't work too well.

6. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    im asking because i didnt find the information i need in that thread - there are lots of photos and descriptions but none of them are specific enough for me to 100% sure im doing it correctly. ill check the connections though, thanks!

7. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In your first post you mention wiring directly to the Prius' wiring. This shouldn't be done; if you look up the directions in in Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius | PriusChat , you need both a BHA-1761 and a BHO-1761. The wiring is simple - You pass the ACC, Battery +, and Ground to both the Prius headunit and your aftermarket. Then you disconnect all of the speaker wires from the Prius headunit and instead wire them to your aftermarket unit. Every other wire gets passed through and is connected to the Prius headunit (except maybe the antenna wire - this one I forget how I did, I think it just passes straight to the Prius headunit).

Think about using the BHA-1761 and BHO-1760 to wire every single wire though to the Prius headunit as if you weren't installing an aftermarket headunit at all. Then without disconnecting them, you tap the ACC, Battery +, and Ground wires to provide power to your aftermarket unit. Then you "cut" the wires from the Prius headunit that go to the speakers and instead connect them to your aftermarket unit, taping up the speaker connections on the Prius headunit to make sure they don't contact each other or ground. I forget what I did with the antenna wire, I'm sure details are in that thread.

Here's the wiring for the Prius' headunit (non-JBL). It looks like the ground wire is brown, the ACC wire is grey, and the battery wire is light blue (for the Prius' wiring - you shouldn't be tapping these wires at all, but instead tapping the wires on the adapters).
    Prius Headunit Wiring Diagram.JPG

Finally, I agree with checking your connections. I personally don't crimp as I've had problems in the past - I solder and wrap every connection twice with electrical tape, then wrap the whole bundles with electric tape and zip tie them to ensure there's virtually no chance of anything coming loose.

#7 Kevin_Denver, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    thank you so much for the detailed reply! i *think* thats what i did on my second attempt that still didn't work, and i havent gone back in to really compare line for line what you wrote but i think its the same. it got a little confusing because my aftermarket unit has two plugs, but if anyone can verify that this looks correct then i can assume its a connection issue and will just solder and tape on the next attempt.
    IMG_2945.JPG

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your adapter looks okay to me. Beware that sometimes wire colors aren't the same for the same connections (esp red, yellow, orange can all be Battery + or ACC +). I would confirm that these are correct. Next I would check the headunit. It could just be it's bad. If you provide it power to the correct wires from a 12V battery or 12V DC adapter, does it power up as expected? Other thing it could be is a bad wiring harness. You might check between the pins on each end of each connector with the continuity tester on a voltmeter.

#9 Kevin_Denver, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all! I finally got it, there was a bad connection and once I soldered it instead of a butt connector it worked perfectly. Anyone who has the double plug arrangement into the aftermarket stereo should be able to follow the photo above. Yay!

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium