1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

exposed wires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spotlyn, Oct 25, 2013.

1. spotlyn

spotlyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just traded in my 2006 Prius with a 2013. I live in the country and always have to deal with mice.
    The 2013 has so many exposed wires whereas the old one did not. Is there any suggestion on sealing them and creating some barrier. I'll send a picture if needed but one circuit board has lots of tiny and tasty looking wires on top. It doesn't seem like much protection but also looks incredibly fragile.
    Any advice (beside building a garage or throwing a cat in the engine an night)

WE0H likes this.
  2. harper42

harper42 Member

I too live in the country and every time I take my Prius in for servicing, I am notified that mice have been stockpiling our dog's food in the air conditioner filter, etc. Service attendants seem surprised. I never am. I have tried mothballs. I have tried rodent repellant sprays. Nothing helps. I love my Prius, first my 2006 and currently my 2010, but it has been the worst car we have ever owned for rodent problems. And we have owned Several Other vehicles.

3. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mix flour or cornmeal with concrete...set it next to some water. Mice killer extraordinaire!

WE0H likes this.
  4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I live in the country too and have found that leaving the bonnet (hood) open seem to deter rodents. It's no longer a nice enclosed space.

WE0H likes this.
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the cavities of my Prius"v" are fogged with rustproofing like this stuff on eBay;

I've never had problems with mice, and I've been using the stuff for over 45 years.

The petroleum based product actually protects the exposed metal in the connectors and makes the bolts and netal brake lines easy to remove. I really like the idea of never having a rusted tight fastener.

6. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard that Peppermint Oil on cotton balls will repel mice. I put several around the inside of the car and under the hood, works so far and keeps the car smelling minty.

WE0H likes this.
  7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a few pairs of male & female kitty's and soon you will have a fierce anti mouse army of kitty's ;)

Mike

GardenWeasel likes this.