1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extinction: Quaternary or Holocene extinction

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 8, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recently a podcast introduced me to a new term for an extinction event, the extinction in the age of man. I was aware of the fossil evidence of various extinction events and the infallible Biblical "Jehovah extinction" that gave rise to Noah, a recently release movie. So I asked Google to find the exact term and found "Quanternary extinction" listed as "Humans or Climate Change."

The first time I heard of the Quanternary extinction it was in relationship to the disappearance of large animals in Australia, North and South America. But recent reports suggests the same is happening in Africa with the rhino being at the top of the list. But this is usually linked to large critters whose bones are relatively easy to identify. But smaller critters such as the Dodo, passenger pigeon, and others not so easily preserved have been decimated and usually blamed on human predation. Our successful large mammals are domesticated.

I had never considered "Climate Change" or the by-products of human habitation as being an element of extinction. But that seems to be the case since the end of the last Ice Age. Considering the significant changes in just the past 200 years, it appears to be a rapidly expanding era that may be 'the sixth mass extinction,' the Holocene extinction.

It is easy for old farts to complain about the young with a certain fondness for "in my day." But I don't share that view as I remember too well the waste and inefficiencies of the past. Also, I'm pretty sure the 'hand of God' as described by Darwin works regardless of the age. So regardless of which family brings forth the next anthropologists, I am confident there will be one.

As Doug points out, we have to be driven by facts and data, something I'm OK with. But all them including the ice and sea levels. Until we see a return of large glaciers in lower latitudes and the sea level lowering as water is fixed in the ice caps, I'm pretty sure this planet is still warming up. We'll see.

Source: Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think humans have had a large role in the persistence of other species since sharp stones, sticks, and oral communication. Recent technologies are more efficient. Also important is being 7 billion instead of 7 million (or soe other paleo-population estimate).

The super-duper extinctions of the distant past seemed to have acted over a wider range of body sizes. Just could never snuff out the microbes though. Truly, 'too small to fail'.

Most every phylogenetic group seems to include some living fossils; persisting much longer than most others. Mammals present two options there; small rodents and humans. I am going against the wind here to suggest that humans could become the living fossils within Mammalia. Absent human assistance (cities and global ships), where have rats ever been 'all that'?

In science news lately, discussions about how the human microbiome (microbes living in and on us) has been reshaped by antibiotics. This made be think about farmed animals (chickens and larger) routinely fed large antibiotic doses because it speeds their growth. What about those microbiomes? In particular, what about cows? They are famous for microbially converting some of their feed into methane - do antibiotics play a role in that? I am not aware of research.

I am wandering here a bit because I am not really sure what this thread is about. Humans have favored some species and disfavored others. Technology multiplied by population. Seems a broad topic.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sixth Extinction is well underway, and accelerating. Habitat destruction, deforestation, ocean acidification - all caused by us - are driving many species to the brink. The Dodo's extinct because it tasted good, not because it was lacking in intelligence or adaptability. Climates are changing faster than existing populations are able to adapt.

The sick and twisted irony is that we humans are the one species most equipped to nurture and sustain all of life. We alone can at least try to prevent what caused the fifth extinction, but apparently we have more important things to do. Like make money, which is easily faulted as the root of this evil. Our current economic regime, by regarding the essentials of life as worthless instead of priceless, is an utter failure. As I like to say, life is not an externality.

For more data, Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction: an Unnatural History (reviewed here) looks like an interesting and informative read.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If we are to assess the evidence that extinction 6 is going to rank up there with E1 through E5, be prepared for the typically wide range of viewpoints from PCers. For my part, I regard most of the work on calcium-dependent marine organisms as pretty weak. The best of it reduces pH slowly, which has very different outcomes to the slam dunk. Those are an adaptable lot, as they did prove in E1 through E5. They present among the most complete fossil records available, thus they are known.

Only two ways to immortality, lads and lasses. Make bones (or something like them) out of calcium or silica. That puts you firmly in the fossil record and a billion years hence, ye shall be known.

I completely agree with hyo about externalities, and this is pretty much what austingreen said in the other thread. Whatever helps people prosper, focus on that. In no way will such a mono-view prevent E6. But, priorities: we must plan to persist first, and then make sure we do it in a way that preserves 'necessary' biodiversity.

That is also sure to be a controversial subject! It could be that keeping 9 billion humans on earth supported requires the loss of some 'biological furniture'. Expect more disagreements about that!

From my ecological view, not all species are 'equal'. It's all about trophic levels. Primary-producer species are heavily redundant, as are decomposers (with some fascinating exceptions). Herbivores, meh. But when you get up to predators and top predators, than many species appear to have unique ecosystem roles. Discard that furniture at your own risk. Actually humans have done a lot of that since the previous ice age, and continue to. This is what could give E6 a chance at joining the big ones.

I don't argue this to be a complete world view. Many unique pairs of plant/pollinators and seed/dispersers exist, and focusing on trophic levels ignores all that. For critical 'mid-level' species, we could wonder if removing passenger pigeons has increased the need for ag-sprays and GM crops.

But the last is not a testable hypothesis, and Bob already tagged be as the data-loving guy. OK, work with what you got, get data, and look really hard for consonance among (apparently) disparate data. This gets you closer to mechanisms, and actually I am more a mechanism-guy. Data is just that thing you need to go where you want to go.

austingreen likes this.
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It was in the Tertiary that the mammals triumphed over the dinosaurs.

From what I know about Paleontology and Geologic time, it moves very slowly.

Clearly, it was the rise of the humans that had something to do with the extinction of the mega-fauna mammals, such as the Brontheridium and Megatherium.

Currently, humans are doing it to themselves. I will, however, NOT be around to see the terminal result; as will no human alive today.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Doug hit the nail on the head with the role of calcium based structures to make a fossil record. We know about E1-E5 because of the fossil record . . . and of course the Biblical flood. I would add there is another record that is not calcium based, coal has plant imprints until it is crushed and burnt. In one respect, the E6 hypothesis has the advantage of much improved, record keeping that does not depend on fossils. But this could be an artifact of improved record keeping.

The extinct plant, silphium, is known because early history and coins document its existence and use. But where would any fossil evidence remain?

E1-E5 are known because of the fossil evidence. There may have been others, less well documented. But Doug also pointed out there has been at least a three orders of magnitude increase in recorded human population and some of us have become resource intense.

Regardless of whether E6 is fact or artifact, the mechanisms are pretty well known. Whether or not weather or climate is involved, well time will tell. I've always been partial to nuclear but there are many other risks.

Bob Wilson

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The 'what' of extinctions is known from biological fossils. The 'why' is coming from stable isotope ratios, and the variety of those being employed is increasing a lot. This is a very interesting era of science.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Here's my suggested review paper

Barnosky et al 2011. Has the Earth’s sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature 471: 51-57.
    Doi: 10.1038/nature09678

One message is "Not yet"; another is "We'll get pretty close of the species flagged as endangered now drop off"

A very new one developing a technique to describe which birds may merit the greatest conservation efforts
    Global distribution and conservation of evolutionary distinctness in birds. Jetz et al. Current Biology (in press)
    Doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2014.03.011

The bad news from Jetz is that many at-risk birds are in Indonesia, a country not known for currently making large efforts to limit the rate of deforestation.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Growing up in Oklahoma and parents in Kansas, I became aware of how extensive the Great Plains have become nearly mono-cultures. Native grasses replaced by wheat, corn, soy beans, alfalfa, and the native fauna replaced by cattle, chicken, turkey, and hogs. Decimate comes from the Latin habit of killing every 10th man in a failing legion. But in this case, the original populations have decreased by orders of magnitude over extensive land areas. But for the isolated parks and preserves, some would have already disappeared.

The bulk of the extinction in North America already occurred but it continues in many parts of the developing world. So African, South American, and other areas are still seeing loss of habitat and populations. But I'm just a layman, driving down the roads (burning up part of the remaining fossil fuel.)

The one thing about monocultures is the risk of pandemics, a disease that all but wipes out a species like the nearly extinct, American Chestnut or European diseases and the Native Americans. Even now, a lot of our farming practices are dependent upon antibiotics and herbicides along with genetic modified grains. I'm not editorializing, it is how we live.

So I'm sanguine about the future and at age 64, realistic about my future. Just I notice biodiversity doesn't really seem to be increasing . . . except in genetic modification labs and the patent office.

Bob Wilson

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To further emphasize monocultures. The chestnut example is one where a wide-ranging species, presumably with a wide range in genetic variation within the species, was quickly taken down by a fungus.

With crops (and also plantation forestry trees that are selected for desired traits). the range of genetic variation within species can become very much lower. So far, I know of no planted species that has been taken down, but there have been close calls, including both corn and wheat.

It gets even more extreme for unusual crop plants like bananas that have been selected to not produce viable seeds. Here, all plants (of a particular variety) are essentially clones. This means they have identical genomes.

In those systems, your productivity can be mighty high until some fungus or insect comes along that can 'unlock the secret'. Then the new organism enters vast areas of plants, all of which are suitable for consumption.

This is a cause for much concern, including establishment of the arctic seed repository. It is also a topic for some gloom&doom in the media, which I shall gloss over. That's just what they do.

However it may be one of those situations where an abundance of caution would cause some to plant more diversity - even if you are strictly in it for the money. But, 'abundance of caution' arguments don't currently have much traction in the agricultural field.