1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extreme cold: 2006 Prius completely dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jimibooks, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jimibooks

Jimibooks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm trying to determine if I need to buckle under and get a tow or if I can troubleshoot this problem myself. A search of the forums has not shown up this exact problem.
    On Sunday-Tuesday, in northern Indiana, we had temperatures below zero F., reaching -15 or so each night. On Tuesday a.m., I attempted to start the 2006 Prius, which has been sitting outside. Using the normal start-up—just push the button on the dash, key in my pocket—almost every light on the display came on, including the big warning triangle, the "check engine" symbol, low tire pressure, etc. And, no engine turnover at all. I punch the start button again, to attempt to "turn it off," and there's no response at all. A minute or two later, all of the lights go off, and it apparently "turns off." I attempt again to restart it by pushing the power button; no joy and same result: the whole dash display lights up, flashing. And again won't turn off. I get out of the vehicle and attempt to start my diesel pickup (another adventure); come back 10 minutes later, and the vehicle is completely dark and there is no response at all. Of any kind. A day later, there's been no change, though we've gained 30 degrees and are now around +15F.

The 12V battery is original. What are the chances that it's a dead 12V? vs. the computer completely frozen/fried (total opposites, I realize). Next steps? Attempt to jump the 12V or charge it? This vehicle has provided zero trouble in 7.5 years, prior to this.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About 90-95%.

Be extremely careful when jumpstarting. Errors in the process can be extremely expensive, in the general range of $5k. A charger, or a jump from an isolated battery (not attached to another car with engine running) are safer.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chances are the battery is discharged. Based on age, what you wrote does not surprise me. Lots of folks having trouble with batteries due to the cold temps.

I would suggest you check the voltage of the battery at the jump post under the hood using a digital volt meter. Chances are you will get a reading of anywhere from nothing to 10 volts.

If it is completely dead, then I would attempt to recharge the battery with a smart charger. Some chargers will not recharge a completely dead battery due to processors in the charger. You can attach a good battery to get the voltage up high enough to make the charger start.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ATTACHING ANY CHARGERS AND OR JUMP STARTING. DO NOT REVERSE POLARITY. I used caps to emphasize this fact. Even a split second of reverse polarity can do thousands of dollars worth of damage to the Prius.

If you cannot recharge your battery, I would suggest you replace the existing battery with a new one. Take a look at the following string. You will find that the battery can be changed if you are mechanically inclined. You will also discover that the battery is not cheap, nor is the labor cheap if you have the dealer do it for you.

I recommend the battery being sold by Toyota under the "True Start" label. Other's here might also recommend the "yellow top" and or "Exide" brand battery. The battery for your Prius is a AGM type battery with "reversed JIS posts". You can expect the cost of the battery to average around $175.00 and labor rates anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on source.

Here's the link I mentioned.

Won't Turn Off -- Master Warning Light on (Red Triangle) | PriusChat

Also, I am attaching a pdf file that discusses the swap of the battery. Expect about an hour or so to do the job complete.

There is a link in my signature (second link) that roughly details the process I did when I changed ours a year ago.

EDIT: The following link details the "Toyota True Start" battery with pictures for those who are interested in what Toyota is selling currently.

Replacement Battery Pix | PriusChat

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

Attached Files:

Jason M. Wagner likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I don't recommend "jump starting". In a emergency situation, a jump starter pack seems to be better than actual jump starting from another vehicle especially if the engine is running as the alternator's can pack quite a punch. The Prius only needs enough juice to get the relays to close and the computers to come up. A jump staring pack is more than enough power even with a completely dead battery.

I cannot begin to count how many posts have been made here on Prius Chat about folks jumping the Prius only to find damage and a lot of expense afterward.

Not trying to scare you, but rather inform you of what is recorded here and elsewhere online.

jump starter pack.jpg

5. Jimibooks

Jimibooks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many thanks for all the responses. Given the age of the battery, I'm going to replace the 12V first (my normal practice with other vehicles is to replace the 12V at 6 years; it saves much hassle, because most lead-acid batteries fail in the 6-8 year range, and it's just not worth waiting on failure; don't know why I didn't follow my usual practice with the Prius.) Will report back on the results.

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "most lead-acid batteries fail in the 6-8 year range"
    Correction: most car battery warrantees last 48-60 months. You can't act surprised when your 7 year old battery doesn't work in extreme weather.

7. Jimibooks

Jimibooks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! New 12V arrived today; and the weather fortunately was a bit warmer (I'm outside on this job); and after 45 minutes of removing the old battery, putting in a new Optima 12V (per the recommendations of many), the Prius came back to life. A great sight! It was completely dead.

By the way, it's my practice to replace lead-acid batteries in my vehicles in the fall of the battery's 6th year; and I always do this, but just didn't think about the Prius 12V in this context. Makes sense, though! Great vehicle. At 110,000, all we've ever done to it are tires and, now, 12V (plus regular service, of course).

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Your practice of stretching the battery life an extra two years was entirely predictable.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats jimi! all the best!(y)

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time to replace transmission fluid, if that has not been done.

kenoarto likes this.