1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extreme cold

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jonb505, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Experienced my coldest weather drive in the v so far. Outside temp dropped to -28c on my drive home from my parents place tonight(warmest I saw on the drive was -25). Drive was 35 minutes 90% highway. Auto climate set to 23c and the fan speed only dropped one bar below max by the time I got home! Plenty of heat though. Still impresses how fast the cabin warms up even in such extreme temperatures.

The car was sitting outside for 5 hours in these temperatures not plugged in before I started the drive home. The engine started within 2 seconds of pushing the power button, not the usual 10 or so. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary in operation.

No grill blocking. Filled up this morning and used half a tank of fuel driving round today covering 333km. Indicated average fuel economy 6.1l/100km.
    Tires overinflated 5psi above oem specs.

No complaints at all, lovin the ride, especially the heated seats!

Anyone else have any cold weather experience to share? image.jpg

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    JonB505 – Thanks much for the personal data point of 6.1 l/100km (38.5598 MPG) Fuel Economy when operating in Extreme -25°C (-13°F) to -28°C (-18°F) Cold Temps. It is informative to see excellent MPG- l/100km numbers that reflect only a 3.6% “Hit” to the US EPA 40 MPG Rating Estimate in Far North Temperate Zone Fall-Winter operating conditions.

Fuel Economies of 40-ish MPG (6-ish l/100km) delivered when operating out of the 60°F (16°C) to 80°F (27°C) “$weet $pot” Ambient Outside Air Temperature (O.A.T.) range that makes the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive the happiest, is great performance. It is an especially impressive number after a 5 hour “Cold Soak” in -25°C(-13°F) to -28°C(-18°F)temperatures, with no Grill Blocking or Block Heater Plug-In, and running the HVAC to keep the cabin at a toasty “Room Temperature” during the short 35-minute trip.

I see that your tires were Up-Pressured by 5 PSI above Toyota Door Post PSI. I am just curious. What Drive-Operating Mode were you in --- Normal, ECO, or PWR, and did you use the EV Mode at all during the 35-minute trip? Additionally, what was the nominal travel speed during the trip, and is your normal driving technique “Hybrid $mart” or “Just Drive It”?

As far as responding to your, Anyone else have any cold weather experience to share?” question. No can do…. Not from down here in “Hybrid Friendly” balmy Florida, where our O.A.T. temperatures currently are running in the high 60°Fs (Mid Teens °C) overnight to low 80°Fs (Mid 20s °C) for daytime highs with no HVAC A/C or Heater use required or desired.

FWIW FYI: The running MPG for my current tank full of gasoline, as displayed on the MID, is 65.7 MPG (3.58 l/100km). Across multiple tank-full refills during this “Idyllic” time of Florida’s weather season, I generally average in the mid-to-high 50s MPGs (4-ish l/100kms).

Yes, I do drive “Hybrid $mart.”
    Yes, I do operate in the ECO Mode 99.99% of the time.
    Yes, my tires are Up-Pressured to MAX SIDEWALL PSI.

3. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if i was driving "Hybrid $mart" per say. Drove the entire day in normal mode. Wasn't paying special attention to my driving this day yet drove about 5kmh under the speed limit for the most part(very little if any traffic encountered) and only one or two full throttle take offs to get up to highway speed merging into traffic, otherwise I made an effort to keep it out of the red zone when accelerating. On this half tank I'd say the average speed has been around 80kmh with a maximum speed of 110kmh for a few minutes earlier in the morning. Roads were slippery in some sections(hardpack snow/ice on the highways) and 1/3 the driving was on gravel(hard pack snow) roads. Morning temperature was fairly warm at -18c. (y)
    Thats the warmest it got all day and steadily declined from there.

Also noticed driving around in -28 that when the engine shutoff in low speed conditions or parking lots it never stayed off for more than 5 seconds before it fired back up again. I suppose the coolant temperature would drop fairly quick trying to keep the cabin warm as well as the engine itself wanting to maintain a decent temperature for emissions control.

Oh to live in florida and have it be room temperature outside overnight. :cool:
    Those are some amazing numbers, I hear it is pretty flat in florida so I can easily see those numbers being achieved there.
    There are some rolling hills around these parts but its pretty flat overall. Now if we could only do something about the weather. :rolleyes:

4. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging from the picture, not only was it extremely cold, you were also driving at a 90° angle. Well done you, I couldn't drive in those conditions.

You should start grill blocking. Based in the Gen III that would be 100% lower and perhaps leave the upper grill open.
    From my observations, when the engine is stopped the coolant temperature will drop about 1c° every 5s or so at 0°c (32F). If I remember my thermodynamics, a hot object will transfer heat to a cold object or system quicker proportional to the difference in temperatures. So your block is losing at least 1c° per 5s. (If I've got that right.)
    When you're stationary, grill blocking helps keep some of that heat in and slows the rate that the coolant will cool and keeps the car in a higher Stage.
    If you've got heated seats, you might be able to switch off the cabin heater at long stops... but would the windscreen freeze?
    I'd go with grill blocking.

BTW, it just topped 39.5°c (103F) in Canberra.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. OP should definitely grille block w/temps that cold.

7. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips. Just a thought that doesn't really apply to my type of driving right now, but would grill blocking do much good even at very low speeds, as in city traffic? I assume, as it blocks air flow it would be more effective on the highway.
    By the way, I would block the grill but I only have another month of cold weather to endure, then I will be making a permanent move to vancouver where it rarely gets below 0 in the winter. 8)

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it will help at low speed driving. Even 10mph is enough to push air through the grille. I find grille blocking to be beneficial even at temps approaching 55F. Anything over that I wouldn't bother with unless you are only doing low speed city driving and/or short trips.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think our high today is supposed to be +6C, and low tonight +5C. Hoh hum, LOL. And of course I've had our snows on since the start of November.

Have you got the blockheater? You really could use it with that clime.

Really cheap-and-easy is grill block: a couple of 4'x3/4" foam tube from Rona or Home Depot will cover the lower grill, which is warranted any time the temps are staying below +7C or so. (from 7 to 15 I'd just block 50%, and nothing above 15, just my preference). Just push the tube's slits onto the grill slats, and secure with zip ties or velcro strips (my preference). With the upper grill, you can block, but leave at least 50% open, for the inverter radiator.

You can also put short pieces of the tube insulation on the flanges on either side of the engine bay, just under the hood. This helps to hold the heat in.

Something to consider: set your cabin temperature to 19C, instead of 23C. Actually, it might not make a tick of difference with those temperatures, but try it. It will not be that much less comfortable, might drop your cabin fan speed, and improve your engine warm up time.

I've found when stopped I can sometimes get the engine to to turn/off by raising/lowering the ventilation system temperature. You might be locking out auto-stop, on some occasions, with high cabin temperature set.

Similar ploy works with AC in the summer. When you first turn it on, set desired temp high, say 27~28C, at a point where the fan stops running at extremes. Then gradually back the temp down as cabin temp stabilizes.

Bret Martin likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much does the engine block heater raise you engine temp at initial startup? I'm curious about its capabilities. For example; if your engine temp is 55F sitting in the garage what would the engine block heater bring it up to?

11. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have been a bit clearer... when the engine is stopped and the car is stationary, I've observed a drop about 1c° every 5-10s at 0°c (32F). Before I had an EBH and blocked my grill the coolant could go from 50°c to 40°c after about 1 minute stationary, causing the engine to start.:( Blocking the lower grill does seem to help contain the warmth and prevent the coolth from getting in. So at the same point in that journey my coolant would be 65°c (because of the EBH) and only drop to 60°c (because of the grill block) after 1 minute. Very different situations for economy and drive-ability.
    FWIW I put 5mm draft-excluder foam on the inner wings (fenders) so that when the bonnet (hood) is closed there's an air seal either side so the heat can only escape under the car or near the wipers. In extreme cold, that might actually make a difference.
    When moving with the engine stopped (gliding) the drop would be greater, however that is balanced because at some point you're regularly using the engine to drive along. A long downhill at a moderate speed where the engine isn't turning might result in enough cooling to drop. But if you've already at 90°c, you can afford to lose a lot.

I have a single row of lower grill blocked and it's over 30°c here. My lower grill was fully blocked until daytime temperatures were regularly over 25°c in early December. Note: I have a Garmin ecorouteHD and a Scangauge-e that both show coolant temperature (and other gauges) that you won't find on the Prius dash. Handy for showing you when the car is warm.

12. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My v came with the block heater yes, though at the place i'm renting(basement suite) there does not appear any way at all I could plug it in as my parking spot is on the street with a stone wall separating me from the house. Do new cars purchased in the lower mainland even come with blockheaters? I assume not, so occasions to plug in would be scarce unless I had my own house/garage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of people who live in cold climates install their own block heater. The PC Shop sells them.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, our block heater was extra, and pricey. Frustrating: put in at the factory, for all, would likely be much cheaper for consumer. And with a lot of cars the block heater is immersed in coolant (but not Prius), necessitating coolant replacement, for post-factory install.

And, besides driving around in +6 on our snow tires, we're using our block heater year 'round, LOL.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If ambient temp's at say 5 deg C, if I don't use the block heater that what the coolant temp is going to be, and it hurts.

Same ambient temp, if I've plugged it in 2 hours in advance, coolant temp (as displayed by ScanGuage) will initially read around 35 deg C. And by the time I've gone a block it will have quickly climbed to around 40 deg C, as the coolant circulates and the temp homogenizes more.

In those conditions it'll auto-stop within a block or two at the most, especially if you have cabin temp set not too high.

16. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The block heater draws ~400 watts. I plugged one in on the bench and it was too hot to touch within seconds.
    So I suppose one could figure the cost of 400W per hour vs the fuel saved in the first 5 miles and come up with some reasonable formula for deciding how long to run it before starting out. But in really cold temps it takes more than 5 miles to bring the ICE up to max temp. You could easily run A-B tests on the same commute with no heating vs 3 hr heating and compare the MPG on the commute.

Back in the day, using old style block heaters in the water jacket on a cast iron block, we used to plug then in while the engine was still warm and leave them on all night. In sub-zero temps that was the only way to have heat when you came out in the morning - and in many cases the only way to have a car that starts.

With a small aluminum block, that 400W heater could easily bring the block up to max temp in a few hours - depending on the ambient temp in the car. I'd say that if your heater blower runs in auto mode when you first start the car, you've been able to warm it enough for most purposes.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Two hours seems good for all but extreme cold. I've read some research, and consensus is you're reaching the top of "curve" somewhere around 1.5 hours. After 2 hours it's pretty much levelled.

18. mathlal

mathlal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey!

Funny you should mention - 28 as this is exactly what my Prius displayed this morning.

I use an 800 watt electric heater between the front seats 3-4 hours before leaving so the cabine wasn't too bad... and no scrapping required!

No block heater, started just fine, should be just as cold tonight, will take a picture if I beat you :)

jonb505 likes this.
  19. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Busts the myth that hybrids are no good in cold climates, won't start, the battery will freeze, etc.
    And i'm sure you will beat my record at some point, haha. I moved to Vancouver last year. Don't really miss edmonton winters for some reason.. As Mendel Leisk said average winter temperatures here are something like +5, brrrr. :D

20. thymara

thymara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been below -20℃ here. Last night on a 35 min drive my SGII showed that I never reached 90℃ and this is not the only time I've had this happen. Time to look into grill blocking. At one point I was at 81℃ and went into EV mode, temp immediately dropped to 78℃.

Also managed to discharge the 12-volt battery. We were on vacation so it was about 5 weeks between using the v. After reading forum threads on the subject I concluded that I'd use my roadside assistance and the problem was resolved in ~30 mins. Once my Eliminator Power Box shows up I'm hoping to be able to start the v without outside assistance in such circumstances.