1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factoring in gas savings on your monthly payments?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Jake123, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone else do this? I constantly hear people talking about why they don't buy a hybrid. The one that I find funny is "I didn't get the hybrid version because it cost $5,000 more". Well... only factoring in my commute for work, I am saving $100/month in gas over my old car. That essentially brings my car payment down to $166/month. I'm not so sure I could have bought a Yaris at $166/month!

There's even a few folks at work who commute 1.5 hours each way. The gas savings would essentially give them a free car.

The more I think about it, the more I think buying the C was a no-brainer. I wish people were more informed.

2. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When I decided to buy my Prius C, I had an 99 4runner, my work trip was around 180 miles daily, so I spend monthly $800 in gas only.

So I decided to buy the Prius paying $391 monthly, and with only $200 in gas monthly so I save $200.

Now my trip is even shorter (80 miles) and now spend only $100 in gas per month.

3. bilzhorse

bilzhorse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The other cars I was considering were in the same price range and "claimed" to get 39-40 mpg on the highway. Not to mention 29 city. I'm averaging over 51mpg combined. The car I was driving was only averaging 33mpg so I am way ahead. I was filling up every other day, now it's every fourth day.

4. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I was never looking at any cars cheaper than 25k. so it was NOT 5K more expensive than the others I was looking at

5. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not bad. I went from 22 mpg to mid 70 mpg (at least now with the warm weather) so I will fill up every 3 weeks instead of every single week.

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It does effect your bottom line so why not? Less money for gas leaves more money for whatever you want/need.

I guess from accountant perspective, factor in depreciation of Prius compared to ICE... overall do we come out ahead? From what I gather on used Prius prices compare to ICE, it appears to.