1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory Heated Seats

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MarcSmith, May 14, 2014.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have them and they work as advertised. I have some chronic lower back problems (small-nonexistent dics) which the heated seats work wonders on the longer drives...

My problem...my butt gets really warm...to the point of of being uncomfortable... IE sweaty... Its great in the winter...but in the warmer months....no so much....

So I was wondering. Is there a way to shut-off the butt warmer, but keep the back warmer. IE a plug to unplug, a jumper to install, adding a resistor in place of the warming pad.... I was thinking of pulling the seat covers off and just putting the butt portion of the seat heater in the seat back...

Any Ideas????

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Surely can be done, all depends on how handy you are with tools......

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm plenty handy... Just trying to do the least amount of "disassembly" and wondering if anyone has done any research on this...

4. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We once had a 20002 Bravada with heated seats - the switch on it was neat in that the first press turned the system on and then it cycled through seat bottom, bottom and back, then the heat levels. Often wondered how they did that but it was really neat.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my folks had a GMC envoy that did the same thing.... it was a nice function...

6. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    All else fails, in the olden days of driving, open mesh and round wooden beaded seat covers were the rage in warmer climates to prevent having your butt melted and stuck to the vinyl seats in non air conditioned cars.

Perhaps you can find something along the lines of that at an auto shop or wally world.... use the seat portion only, not the back section and avoid damage to your car or yourself by attempting to modify things with it too much.

Roland

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hoping someone has a wiring diagram... that would make life really easy... I'll have to check aldata at work...

8. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have access to that too. If you can't find what you need, let me know.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    trent,

kinda of a moot point now that I'm looking for a new ride...

I checked the diagram and it doesn't show two separate elements for the seat. So if I get another prius with the heated seats I'd have to do some diagnostic work with a multimeter to see if I could modify it...

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just wondering: if you disconnect 50% of the heated area would the remainder be getting significantly hotter?

11. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the two elements were in series it would be bad to disconnect one. The remaining element would get much hotter. If they are in parallel and you disconnect one the circuit would just use less power.

Does anyone notice that the heated seats tend to cycle on and off every few minutes when activated ? In my 2010 they definitely stop working after several minutes then come back on a few minutes later over and over. It seems like they may be over heating and shutting off then come back on after cooling down or use some really primitive thermostat. The Prius seat heaters are pitiful compared to the GM seat heaters I have used.

12. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First, look at the Toyota schematic (electrical road map) for the heated seats, and see if the lower and back heating elements have separate connectors. If they DO, then it could be as simple as just placing a SWITCH between the lower heating element connectors.

Ask your Toyota Service Manager if he can help with showing you how the heating elements are wired, ie: the schematics.