1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed "Hybrid Water Pump" ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RuralMainePrius, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RuralMainePrius

RuralMainePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had the Check Hybrid System and master warning light come on today.

Took it to the dealer, who, after a couple hours, told me that my "Hybrid Water Pump" needed to be replaced. He quoted me a price of $948!!!!!!

After nearly having a heart attack and dying, I decided to drive it home and take it to my home dealer tomorrow. I know, probably not smart, but I just needed a second opinion before I plunked down a grand on a 2.5 year old car (part is covered by 5 year/60k warranty...I had 61,000...DOH!)

Does that price seem right? Do these things have a history of failing? What part, exactly, is he talking about? Does it go by another name, because I can't find anything about it online.

Is it safe to drive the car short distances? I know I need to get it fixed...but my checking account is a bit tired at the moment.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There was a nationwide recall on Hybrid water pumps on the GEN II but not your GEN III. Price sounds way high to me. GOOD LUCK!

3. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, this is probably a dumb question, but is there ever any "wiggle room" when one is barely over the warranty miles? :(

4. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, any thoughts about how safe to drive in the very very very short term?

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is the pump that cools the inverters, I wouldn't drive it.

Are you sure that it is not covered under the emission control portion of the warranty? That would be 8 years/80K miles or longer depending on what state you live in. Read the provisions of the Federal Emissions Control Warranty, specifically page 19 of the warranty booklet. Also check page 13, Hybrid System Warranty. I am not sure if the pump is considered part of the Hybrid System or not but it certainly should be. Maybe one of the maintenance experts can tell us?

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is probably dependent on your relationship with the dealer. The Honda dealer here covered a window door lock solenoid 1000 miles over warranty.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you call Toyota Customer Care you may be able to get a policy adjustment if you are civil with them. Quite often they will make adjustments like paying for the parts. It won't hurt to try.

8. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, that's over 20,000 miles per year for you based on when you purchased your 2010. Call a regional manager and see if there's any warranty left. I would think so if it services the hybrid system. To clarify, this is not the engine coolant pump?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  10. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
  11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, I was thinking maybe they gave him the cost of an inverter assembly by mistake?

12. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Funny, I called the dealer in my hometown (I had it checked out at the dealer near my work) and got a quote of $500 and change. That seems a little more palatable. The difference seems to be the labor hours.

13. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I got out my warrant booklet and I agree...since this cools the inverter it is part of the hybrid system, not the drive train! I'm going to call in the am and see if it isn't covered.

thanks for all the responses...

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which electric water pump are we talking about? The Gen 3 went to an electric engine water pump in addition to having the usual inverter water pump.

The engine water pump has a MSRP of $540, so $945 to replace the engine's electric water pump does not sound completely out of line. And no, I would not drive the car with a failed electric engine water pump - this can/will cause engine damage if/when it overheats.

15. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The gentleman specifically said the "hYbrid water pump" NOT the engine water pump. The hybrid pump is to cool the inverter. For some reason he quote pd this as a six hour job so 660 in labor...200 some for the part....35 for coolant gets you to 900+

Six hours? The other dealer told me three and came up with a more reasonable quote.

Also, the fact that the error was a hybrid system error would further confirm that it was the inverter pump.

16. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ouch! It seems if a Prius needs a visit to the mechanic, they tend to "go big or go home."

Thankfully there are lots of members here who know what to look for when the dashboard starts lighting up.

A question... Would a ScanGauge II show if a part like this was getting ready to crap out?

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, with a ScanGauge you can monitor both the inverter and engine coolant temperatures. This will tell you if either one is beginning to fail by rise above normal temps.

OceanEyes and tumbleweed like this.
  18. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Spoke again to my hometown dealer about the warranty issue. Bad news is that he confirmed this is a power train component. Good news is they are going to call Toyota and try to get some of it covered. Cross your virtual fingers for me.

The Critic likes this.
  19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Generally these things just fail with no warning. It's possible it might start "sticking" on startup for a short time before final failure and that -might- show up on the Scangauge, but I doubt you would notice.

Keep in mind this is a $500 repair at full cost, and it failed at 60,000 mi. If you go to some dealers it costs over $200 for an oil change.

A little perspective.

Toyota US has in the past covered failures that are that close to warranty. My fingers are crossed for you.

20. RuralMainePrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news! Toyota will cover 90 percent! Three cheers for the saints at Morristown Toyota in NJ.