1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faint beep from back of car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rstark18, Apr 14, 2012.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was driving with a frien that has an '08. Once while stopping we heard a very faint 1sec beep from the back. He said it happens every once in a while and his kids hear it better from the back seats. Any ideas on what it is? I have never heard this from my '10

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    His kids probably lost a small electronic toy somewhere in the hatch area. If he is serious about locating the sound, he will remove the rear seat cushion, the hatch folding floor and other hatch trim, and look around for the noise maker.

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL. it's definitly not a toy. It sounded like a battery type noise and the kids aren't the toys in the car type.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    its obviously the tracking and listening device the government puts in all vehicles . . . duh :p

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Consider the factory-installed items in the back of the car that have moving parts and might produce a noise:

- traction battery fan, which would make a whirring sound

- system main relays in the traction battery enclosure, which make a click sound upon making the car READY and IG-OFF

If items like toys, cell phones, etc are ruled out then is it possible that some dealer-installed accessory like an alarm or backup sensor system might be producing the noise?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm still betting on a toy, smoke detector, or some other misplaced electronic item.

Tom

7. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is really strange. I was driving with him all week (lots of trips to home depot for his kitchen remodel) and heard it only twice. It is definitely an electronic type sound and only when braking. I was thinking of something like the regen braking was making it under certain situations but seeing as nobody else is familiar with it then I just don't know. We ruled out any non Prius stuff in the back and it doesn't sound like its in the cabin anyway.