1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faint fuel Smell coming from trunk area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Overworked9000, May 4, 2015.

1. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have pinpointed a fuel smell coming from the trunk area. I have removed all rear paneling and the backseat and cannot pinpoint the smell. I continue to get whiffs every now and then that is clearly fuel. I have yet to see the top of the fuel tank. Is there supposed to be an access panel under the back seat?

I have no error or warning codes, so I don't suspect this is an overfill. Any advice?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! maybe the hoses to evap canister? not sure of the setup, you may wanna look at toyota repair manual for diagrams. all the best!

3. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have no idea how to get to those hoses. When I take off the backseat, I see a center cable connecting to the top of the fuel tank, but it appears I don't have any other access to other cables

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....got me...there is a vent to the outside over on the opposite side from the fuel port, the black conduit there. But its hard to see how fuel vapors would get over there. Its getting a little hard to smell gaso as the low sulfur specs are being adopted, but presumably there are some variations out there as the specs are gradually phased in. I don't know if its possible you picked up a particularly smelly batch somehow.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking you need to look under car for fuel line leaks or something like that. We have not had many reports of anything like that but presumably road debris could cause some damage. In any case maybe have to have someone take look. You don't want to risk a gaso problem (I am assuming your nose knows).

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, there have been a couple threads. i would try searching. do a google search, it will bring you back here if there is anything.

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I would take it to a local repair facility of your choice that has an emissions test set. Their hydrocarbon sniffer can detect ppm concentrations and find that leak pronto. Don't ever fool around with gasoline vapor, especially in an enclosed space.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gas is flammable. Vapor is EXPLOSIVE!
    Be careful and keep anything that could cause a spark away.

9. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks everyone. I'm going to take it in for diagnostics

10. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is where the smell was the strongest. However, when I took the panels off, it just went away and I couldn't track it down

11. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have taken the car to the dealer not once, but twice. I asked if they had a chemical sniffer when I dropped it off and they said yes. They did not find any smell (don't think they tried very hard) and I eventually was told they did NOT use a chemical sniffer. On the last occasion when they drove it up to me the person driving it said they smelt gas. They had some customer relations person there who heard him say it, then dismissed it as "very faint".

This dealer pretty much sickens me with this activity, so I will go ahead and say their name. Mac Haik Toyota in League City, TX

I will be taking it to another dealer.

Gavin Birnam likes this.