1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fiat 500e EV discussion

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by cwerdna, Apr 15, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm guessing a media embargo was lifted recently as I came across the first article on the Fiat 500E EV thanks to the Flipboard iPad app.
    2013 Fiat 500E EV First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

I came across this thanks to MNL.
    First Drive and Full Details about the All-Electric Fiat 500e | PluginCars.com

AFAIK, this is just a CA compliance car.

I've never even bothered looking at the Fiat USA web site until now as I'd never had any interest in buying a 500 (have test driven one before). 2013 FIAT 500e | All Electric Car with Zero Emissions | FIAT USA looks pretty good. I have to give those guys some credit for making the car and their site pretty stylish.

I never knew about this (semi-NSFW) ad until now.

Quite funny!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A guy at TTAC is living w/the Fiat 500e for a week. You can probably find his posts at Fiat | The Truth About Cars.

In Living With an EV for a Week – Day Four (can we get a charging standard please?) | The Truth About Cars it's interesting that he only barely touches on Frankenplug (SAE CCS aka combo connector). I don't follow this writer but it seems he's reasonably well informed (compared to many journalists) about EVs.

I wonder if he realizes that Fiat is essentially in the Frankenplug camp along w/a bunch of others who don't seem to have a serious EV program (except for BMW).

CHAdeMO Association
    (for DC fast charging) on the other hand has an installed base of at least 2569 DC Fast Chargers and at least 160 in the US. Nissan's been installing a whole bunch of these at their dealers recently. And, no, no Toyota PHEVs nor BEVs can use CHAdeMO. The only two in the US that can use that are the Leaf (Nissan LEAF Crosses 25,000 U.S. Sales Milestone - Nissan Online Newsroom) and the i-Miev.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" (swmbo) and I got paid something like $100 each to do a review of the 500e, well over a year ago (maybe over 2?). The inside looked hoaky ... and the EVSE looked like a toy. It's REALLY improved after our group of a dozen or so testers bashed it. They had several other time slots we could of come in for the review - so I imagine there were over 100 bashers. I'll say ONE thing for fiat - they REALLY know the secret to EV/Plugin marketing:

I'm thinking a lot of folks who'd never consider a Fiat 500e (or the ICE version) would give it it look, just because of the memorable ad. Even swmbo was willing to check it out.

cwerdna likes this.