1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finest, greenest, & safest taxicab in the world. The story of cab 2545

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cab 2545, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Cab 2545

Cab 2545 Going where no man has gone before

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all,

Often the question is asked, "How many relatively trouble-free miles is a Prius good for?" This thread will be the story of Cab 2545 of Denver Colorado. I intend to update this thread periodically detailing maintenance issues, and anything relating to high milage, high use cars.
    So anyone interesting in this topic get ready to see a 3rd Gen Prius go to 300,000 miles in about 3 years. Buckle up and get ready for warp drive.

Attached Files:

2. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Specs: 2010 Toyota Prius, Trim Level 5 with option Advanced Technology Package. All cars with Trim Level V get SofTec sim-leather seating, JBL sound, navigation, 17" premium Rims, LED lights,

I purchased this car in July of 2012 at 32,720mile, and had it on the streets of Denver shortly thereafter. Today her odometer reads 63,000. I drive about 1,000 miles per week, and will shortly have a day time partner that should do the same. That's 2,000 per week, or 100,000 per year. (50wk x 2drvr x 1000m)

3. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Problems so far: I've had to replace the smallish 12volt battery at around 55k. Now, because this car is hacked, I run a small taxi dispatch computer that amounts to running the radio and an iPad in terms of power consumption, and I must that admit I'd left the computer on over-night numerous times, depleting the battery completely.

Lets call it a case of 50% abuse/user error and 50% normal wear and tear.

After coughing out about $325 for a replacement all is well.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck :whistle: lol

I have the UK t3 which I think is similar to the UK Prius III. I had the car from new and am on my THIRD steering motor. I believe the models around the t3/III have an upgraded motor so you may have been lucky. I have also had a HV battery ECU replaced and more recently the inverter at 71,000 miles.

I was running about 30,000 miles a year in heavy start stop traffic all day, though quit the taxi trade after 10 years (at 64,000 miles on the Prius) as the trade has collapsed over here in the recession. Too many people trying their hand at it; taxi licences/plates/medallions are unrestricted in many cities here and it's the first thing many will consider when out of work.

I will say my customers loved the comfort of the car and I got a lot of repeat business on the back of that.

Keep us all updated on how you get on.

Cab 2545 likes this.
  5. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ouch, sounds like your Prius reliability is not keeping up to it's reputation. Thanks for posting here.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically it's "real" leather seating on the 2010. SofTex didn't arrive until 2012. Welcome to PriusChat and thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Cab 2545 likes this.
  7. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am really looking forward to following you on you're adventures.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The first time I read this I saw
    "Species 2010 ... " and then a voice added "your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own"

I should be excused, I have been watching Star Trek:TNG reruns and the paint job looks pretty organic :)

9. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A demonstration of the pre collision system.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the one done by a PC member

11. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please keep us posted!

12. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    the hybrid batteries are dropping like flies here in Greece ... i just had another prius taxi tell me and show me the dead batt !!! it seems like they die out anything from 125000km to 180000 or 190000... i am really upset because i at 135000km know my time is coming real soon .... and dont know how much this is going to cost me over the life of owning it as a taxi.. here in greece we can keep the car for 15 years... that means if the batteries only average 200000km around 3-4 years at the rate i get these kilometers on i am going to need at least 3 batts .. at 2.500 euros after discount ... i feel like i did not make a good investment after all !!! TOYOTA NEEDS TO COVER THE PROFESSIONAL DRIVER WITH BETTER PRICING AND WARRANTY COVERAGE.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it the gen3 batteries only or are the gen2's just as bad?

I think listening to the US and Canadian taxi drivers wasn't reflective of the harsher European taxi use patterns where getting over 30mph/50 kph is a bonus and traffic lights can be set at 100/200 yards/metres apart etc.

I think I'd have got rid of the Prius if I was to stay in the taxi game as the overly expensive replacement parts wipe out any gains made on fuel savings. I am on my 3rd steering motor and recently had a new inverter fitted and am now only at 72,500 miles/117,000km. That's nearly £4,000/US$6,000 of parts. Even my Peugeot was nowhere near that,. In fact, not even a third of that in more miles!

I do wonder if it's the gen3 that's the weak link here though.

14. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Faster then a cop car!

Be Well,

15. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cab 2545
    I am Looking forward to reading your updates.
    Would you also describe how you drive the vehicle, as well as cost per mile and/or MPG?

The reason I ask is a recent experience in a Prius cab from LAX to Marina Del Rey.
    Very short trip, on a Sunday night, secondary roads, very light traffic.

Driver must have assumed we were competing in an Indy race...
    Or, I was having heart failure and someone at the hotel would save my life!

Anyway, he floored it at every light and traffic delay, getting 25 MPG for first few miles.
    Road opened up, speed was steady 50 miles per hour, and he got 50 MPG.

I bit my tongue the entire time, Therefore, My questions about driving habits and MPG.
    Thanks for your story and considering my queries.
    Jim

16. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When you hack a vehicle (making it commercial) you void the warranty. I found Toyota to be clear about that. That's was a business decision that you and I made before we hacked a Prius. Your on your own and only have yourself to look at when things go wrong.

No, Toyota doesn't NEED to do anything. They are off the hook and owe you nothing.

Perhaps, instead, you could find a salvage battery when you need one. Perhaps you could find a way to obtain what you need at a lower cost. They are many ways to accomplish this task.

17. Cab 2545

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    JimPHL,

Truth is, I drive her hard esp. when it's busy and the market calls for it. On a busy Friday or Saturday night when their are lots of short trips downtown I'm petal to the metal, baby. And, really, by the end of the night my absolute worst average is 35mpg. In this business its worth it, with the additional fares that I get because of the faster turn-over, and happier customers, bigger tips. (Really, most people appreciate a quick, well controlled to the point style of driving). I think your in the minority on this one, as I've gotten so many compliments and fat tips on account of my driving style. And no complaints either.

18. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to your updates.

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, you're kidding right? Mine was a cab and Toyota knew all about it and still offered me the warranty as normal. I'm glad they did too. A new Toyota here now comes with a 100,000 miles/5 years all in warranty, as does Vauxhall (UK GM) and Kia (upto 7 years) too I think. Some manufacturers also give unlimited mileage warranties within a 3 year period or upto 100,000 miles in 5 years. Toyota don't even stipulate that you have to use a Toyota dealer, though there are benefits to going thru one.

How can being a cab void a warranty? Wear and tear isn't covered anyhow so the warranty just covers manufacturing defects. Just think how many more car s they'd sell if they were the first to offer some warranty to cabs, even if it was slightly more restrictive.

20. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i think the gen2 are just as bad but they dont talk about it !