1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First day with my Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tracksyde, Mar 2, 2012.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I understand that it is somewhat more efficient in Hybrid mode than the Prius III.

2. JRW

JRW Automotive Journalist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the photos.

How do you see the cumulative trip MPG in your Prius Plug-in and what is "CONS" "MPG"? In my short drive home from the dealer's I couldn't see that information on the display screen where I see yours (I did find that display screen - I just could not see a readout there with the cumulative MPG).

Prior to getting this Prius Plug-in (base model), I owned a 2005 Prius (which was also a base model) for several years. It was easy to see the cumulative MPG in that car, but it displayed a lot less other information.

In case it is a relevant factor, my car was not charged when I took delivery of it so it was just like a regular Prius. Also I know, I should read the owner's manuals. I'm sure this is fully explained in there. I just have not had time to do so yet.

While I'm asking questions, can you tell me how to use the Nav system that comes with the base model? I tried to program in an address but it only gave me the option of selecting a couple of numerals for the address - not all of the ones that I wanted to enter. I have used Garmin portable GPS units for over ten years. With that understanding of waypoints, etc., you'd think that I'd be able to figure out this Toyota in-dash Nav unit intuitively but I can't.

Thank you.

3. JRW

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm glad that the base Plug-in comes with a back-up camera but I am disappointed that the display does not show lines to indicate the width of the car. My Mustang's back-up camera has a tiny display in the rear view mirror, but those lines really help me when I'm using it to back up. With the Prius I have no idea where the rear corners of my car are.

4. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Tracksyde,
    Thanks very much for your pertinent info. I think there are some that expect everything immediately. Your real time (brand new car) info influences others to experiment with the capabilities of the PIP. It will take time for all of us who are committed (purchased) a PIP to evaluate the optimization of the PIP. I was surprised by how quickly the EV range on your first few trips evaporated. Possibly the elevation issues you mentioned were a contributing factor, along with cold status. None the less, having an '07 Camry Hybrid getting 40+ mpg now, 37mpg in summer with AC in the SEast, leads me to believe that the PIP will deliver what I expected as advertized by Toyota. We happen to have what I suspect is the prime enviroment for a PIP, with length of trips, speed limits, and the reason I considered a PIP. Mine will probably deliver in the next couple of weeks in NC. Having spent 25 years in Northern CA(yep Silicon Valley LG), I have an understanding of speeds, traffic, and driving behaviors' effect on not just mpg, but total satisfaction of the product. I'll report my rural numbers for the PC community. It's still all a big secret!!!:spy:
    Pineprius

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you hit the Trip button on the steering wheel, it should cycle through different information at the bottom of the screen (odometer, trip meter A and B, and distance to empty). If you want to reset one of your trip meters, while on that trip meter (A or B), press and hold Trip and it will reset.

CONS. stands for "consumption" (I think). The Cons. MPG is the average consumption (in terms of gasoline) for that trip meter (each trip meter has its own Cons. number).

If you register at Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More you can access the owners manuals (as PDFs) there. It is also a sticky at the top of this forum. The first post has the PDFs attached there as well. The one that you'll want to look at for this information is the Instrument Cluster PDF (Section 02-02)

Looking at the manual, it says:

1 Touch "Dest" on the map (so you'd hit Apps -> Map to get to the map first)
    2. Touch "My Destinations"
    3. Touch "Stored"
    4. Touch "Create Ne Entry"
    5. Input the address
    6. Touch "Save New Entry"
    7. Input a name for the entry
    8. Touch "OK"

Thats to store a destination.

To enter an address you just want to get to:

1. Touch "Dest"
    2. Touch "Enter Destination"
    3. Touch the tab for the desired method (by Address, POI, etc)
    (assuming you're enter an Address)
    4. Touch "Address"
    5. It then says to make sure your country and state are selected
    6. Touch "City" or "Zip"
    7. Touch "Street" and enter a street name
    8. Touch "No." to enter a street number
    9. Then touch "Calculate Route"

I havent actually tried it myself, but that sounds about right when the dealer had me program my own Home address.

1 person likes this.
  6. JRW

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you very much. Hopefully I can figure out how to print this.

I tried to go onto the Toyota Owners website but it wouldn't let me log in to my account, which I think I set up when I had my 2005 Prius. I sent an email to Toyota for help.

I'm tempted to just keep using my portable Garmin GPS (with its lifetime map updates) because that way I will have all my waypoints no matter which car I am driving. The big hassle is having to route its power cord from the outlet under the center console, around the steering column and over the dash to the lower left corner of the windshield.

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use your pre order/ pre register/ pre interested in the pip login user name and password. That's what I use to get to the owner manuals and video.

1 person likes this.
  8. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    As far as things that went Overboard, how about tossing the Compressor, Jack and cans of Inflate. I used Inflate on my 2007 Prius and then brought the car to my Tire guy. He said NEVER to use that junk again. It makes a mess of the inside of the tire and rim and can require the Pressure Sensor to be replaced at $50-100 apiece.

Use ToyotaCare or AAA instead.

So lighten the load !!!

1 person likes this.
  9. JRW

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's good to know. I have AAA with extended range towing, just in case.

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't need to login to access the Owner's Manual. Just go here:
    Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Service Manuals
    Then hover your cursor over the rounded white rectangle in the upper right hand corner and you can choose the Prius PHV/2012.

However, Toyota divides the manuals into small sections which I found annoying. I put the sections together here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/103349-owners-manual-pip-out-3.html#post1468408

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    erm, the tire patching kit in the PHV definitely will not destroy your sensors.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also voice command works nicely. Simply push the "talk" button on the steering wheel and say "destination..<the complete address> " and the nav system will route you there. Just all one sentence.
    Its a great improvement over the Gen2 nav system.
    What's better is you can now say specific places of business.
    Like "nearest Wal-mart" and it will find it. Say "McDonalds", Chick-Fil-A" whatever.
    A friend has a 2012 Prius with Display Nav and I was impressed.
    That says alot, because I've been a big Toyota Nav hater until now.

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is the Kill-a-Watt measurement the same as the "CHARGE POWER" shown on the Multi-Information Display? Or is the MID number the amount of charge put into the battery (i.e. after charging losses)?

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I havent reset my EV/HV ratio yet. I guess I should remember to do that. I've only been resetting Trip A for my daily commute. But, I dont think what appears on the MFD is detailed enough to make any detailed analysis because of the rounding. Over a longer period of time, it may be more applicable.

FWIW, here's my HV/EV screen today. Its never been reset and the first 45 miles I drove were all HV only since I didnt have any charge when I picked up.

[​IMG]

When I got home last night, I had 2.9 miles left of EV range. I had anticipated using it later that evening but ended up not using it. So this morning's Kill-A-Watt reading was only 2.57.

I also had it plugged in just to check on the current draw and it was 11.23A. I didnt watch it any further because I set the charge timer to start at 5AM (so it started charging, checked Kill-A-Watt, then stopped charging after I set the timer). So I'm not sure thats useful to anyone but I recall someone asking about it.

1 person likes this.
  15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is excellent! 219 Wh/mile (21 kWh / 96 miles) for the miles on electricity and 55 MPG (165 miles / 3 gallons) for the miles on gasoline.

Synergy? Electricity consumption remains quite low and the gas MPG increased.

The numbers are rounded so we'll see how it come out over time.

1 person likes this.
  16. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hm, are we talking about the same thing? I'm referring to the fourth picture on pg. 59 in the Owner's Manual. I believe it displays the kWh only for the current charge and doesn't accumulate past charges, so I don't think anything needs to be reset.

17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Sorry, no, I wasnt talking about the same thing. I thought you were referring to the HV/EV ratio screen. The screen on page 59, I think, only appears when the car is charging. In fact, the first time I saw the screen myself was when I was showing a co-worker the car and I turned the car on while it was still charging and that image appeared.

I'll check it out when leave today. I'll also check it out tonight against the kill-a-watt since I should have 0 EV range left when I get home.

1 person likes this.
  18. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    WOW, there is quite a bit of info, but it's on a few screens to get the Full Picture.

Track, and all other PIP Techies, are you keeping a written log?
    If you are, what are you recording?
    Should we PriusChat members post our data somewhere together?

I sure wish there was a PIP Data Logger Dump to a Thumbdrive.
    Any Toyota Techs or Execs listening ??????

19. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I haven't started keeping a written log. I kept fillup data for my last car. I was thinking about doing the same. Maybe something like:

Gas purchased (gallons)
    Cost (total or per gallon)
    Trip odometer miles (per tank)
    Total odometer miles
    Trip odometer consumption MPG
    HV/EV ratio (per tank) - percentage and miles
    Total kwh used (from HV/EV screen) - may not be that accurate but better than nothing?

I don't know if there is anything else that should or could be tracked. I could get daily kill-a-watt numbers but that requires a daily "commitment" to keep track of (so using the kwh consumed from the HV/EV screen would be good enough I hope).

Any other ideas?

Also, I tried looking for the "kwh charged" screen but it seems as though it is no longer accessible/visible once the car is fully charged. Turning on the car (while still plugged in) just brings up a screen that says the charge is complete. I cycled through the screens but couldn't find that "kwh charged" screen.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the past 11.5 years, I've logged DATE, MILES, GALLONS, MPG-SHOWN, AVE-MPH, PRICE, ODOMETER every time I fill the tank. For the past 2.5 years, I've logged the ODOMETER reading every night. So, I'm very much in the mindset for serious data collection.

With the PHV, it looks like I'll be adding TIMES-PLUGGED to the nightly routine plus KWH and RATIO for each tank.

The resulting calculated values and on-going totals are what tell the true story, since just a snapshot of performance can be misleading even without a plug.

I'll continue to fill the tank whether it needs it or not to gather monthly statistics too... especially since here in the north, where seasonal efficiency variation will be quite the discussion topic.

The spreadsheets with all the data are available on my website. When my PHV is delivered, I'll finalize them and share the output in PDF format as well.

1 person likes this.