1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First day with my Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tracksyde, Mar 2, 2012.

1. porsche1662

porsche1662 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys, I'm still new to this and want a PIP as soon as they are available locally. I just started keeping real track of MPG and I am lucky to get 44mpg. and thats going 60-65mph on the highway. Heat turned off unless I am at a red light ( I run it only then, freeze the rest of the ride to keep the engine from coming on too much) But I cheat every stop sign, piss off every driver behind me etc. So what am I doing wrong by not getting the 48-52 everyone else is getting with a non PIP ? is it the cold weather ? hasn't been to cold here. very mild winter and high 30's and 40's So will I need to wait for 70-80* weather to see those results ? Draft every big rig and have the hood painted every year ?

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run the heat when you're on the highway, the engine is running anyway and you not taking advantage of it. a lot of people get around 44 in winter, but you can do better if you want to, just read thru some of the many fuel economy threads here. all the best!

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, although the 'gallons saved' has a sig digit, so the MPG is between

96/1.65 --- 96/1.75
    or about 55 -- 58 mpg.

If these numbers are from an area that is still cold then Tracksyde is doing GREAT. Otherwise he is just your average excellent hypermiler ;)
    Btw, he is averaging 13.3 miles/3 kwh charge
    And his MPG (not the e garbage) is 87 -- 91.7

Who needs a fancy car computer for data, when he has us to track every rpm ? ;)

Addendum: I calculated two different MPG numbers
    The first range of 55 - 58 is mpg in pure petrol miles
    The second range of 87 - 91.7 includes ("free," as in no petrol use) electric miles.

Use the first number for petrol efficiency
    Use the second number for averted petrol consumption, compared to another car.
    Use 219 wh/mile for pure EV efficiency

1 person likes this.
  5. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If we don't use the "e garbage" and just look at miles over gallons my volt is getting 110 MPG, and any Leaf is getting more than 1,000,000 MPG.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, YMMV, because both of those are range-limited figures. As range increases, mileage falls. With Leaf, it falls off a cliff at 80 to 100 miles. I'm not sure where the crossover occurs between Volt and Plug-in Prius, but it would be an interesting (and fairly simple) math problem. My calculation is that, in 100 miles, Prius consumes 1.7 gallons, while Volt consumes 1.89 gallons and Leaf comes to a stop. In 200 miles, it's Prius 3.7 gallons, Volt 4.59 gallons.

7. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course it does.

I'm just saying what was said to us many times over the past year (and validly so) that you have to be careful about the temptation to just talk about the MPG without looking at the electrical consumption that took place to help you get there.

Also for the 110 MPG, I don't get that in EV mode (that would be about 93 mpge) thats my annual average looking at the 20,000 miles traveled and 182 gallons of gasoline consumed, that looks great until you also think about the 4.8 MWh I also consumed driving over the past year.

edit: for the curious my 1 year anniversary with the Volt is March 30th and I'll post more specific data points then.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a different question. Wikipedia says that the " gallon equivalent" of electricity is 34.02 KWH. If you pay 10 cents per KWH (and here it's 12 cents), that's $3.40 for enough electricity to go 93~95 miles.

In fact, with my 12 cent rate, I pay $4.00 for the equivalent of a gallon of gas, which gets me 94 miles instead of 50 miles. Is that right? I'm not playing devil's advocate, I just want to know if I have the numbers right.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He is getting 72 MPGe (261 miles / 3.62 gallon(e)) with 36% EV miles.

That's much higher than the average Volt owners at 63 MPGe with 71% EV miles.

1 person likes this.
  10. fberger

fberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Guys I have nothing against the Volt or Leaf in particuliar, but I am getting tired of having threads dedicated to certain subjects "polluted" with things like "yes but my car XYZ is better than yours". I think that there are dedicated threads for comparisons like that.

The subject here is about the first days with a PiP. That is what PiP owners and future owners come here for, not to read about other cars' performance.

So :focus: please!

2 people like this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, the first day is over. How about today?

12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
  13. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, I was not trying to be comparative of performance but comment on the proper common language to discuss his first days performance is:

and is not:

Most people who come here may not understand the distinction but I think its important to get everyone on the same page from the beginning to avoid confusion later. It will make comparisons easier if even comparing between different Pip owners' experiences.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't turn off your heater. It will continue to pump out heat until the coolant temperature drops all the way to 114°F in ECO mode, even with the engine off.

Switch from Auto to Manual if you want greater control. Having an aftermarket gauge (like ScanGauge) makes it easy to see how much heat is still available. It also clues you into when to turn the heater on, since you only get cold air until about coolant reaches about 150°F, since the venting system itself needs to be warmed up first.

1 person likes this.
  15. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That sounds about right.. I pay much less (marginal night rate is .049 midpeak is .09), but don't forget about the fixed costs (which I allocate based on total share of the $$ in the bill) and taxes. (gas prices include tax).

But yes miles per dollar are often better than miles per gallong.. (and if you are around the average than MPGe is often a decent approximation to cost equivalent as well as energy equivalent, at least for EV).

16. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I totally agree. I appreciate all you guys calculating these numbers for everyone/me. Lots of these numbers (including MPGe, or e-garbage :)) were not really things I thought about too much, but I appreciate seeing them.

If you follow my original logic, which was to buy a CT200h "just to save some gas", all I really cared about was getting more miles out of a gallon of gas. When the PiP order window opened back then, in comparing the CT to the PiP, I thought with my regular commute, I could save even more gas (regardless of electricity use).

To be honest, I never even really looked at my electricity bill until about 2-3 weeks before my car was scheduled to arrive. And although that finally put the idea of "electricity cost" in my mind, I still figured I was essentially getting "free" electricity from my charging at work.

Now, with my car being 1 week old, I think this past week for me has been about trying to minimize my use of gas as much as I can. I wouldn't say that I'm hypermiling, just trying to maximize EV range.

With that said, the weather this past week has been on the cool side. Its about mid 50s in the morning, maybe high 40s at night. Yesterday's commute was 200 MPG combined (I will admit it is sad to watch the MPG drop from 999). I had 0 EV range when I got home. This morning the Kill-A-Watt was 3.27kwh. Yesterday, a full charge was showing 12.6 EV miles. This morning, a full charge was showing 12.8 EV miles (Monday and Tuesday were showing 13.3 if I recall).

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The EPA says 360 wh of energy are paid for on a customer's electric bill to travel one mile. Your kwh (1000 wh) costs 12 cents. So the calc is 12*.36 = 4.32 cents a mile

93 miles will cost 93*.0432 = four dollars ... and a penny.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I added this to my earlier post:

Addendum: I calculated two different MPG numbers
    The first range of 55 - 58 is mpg in pure petrol miles
    The second range of 87 - 91.7 includes ("free," as in no petrol use) electric miles.

Use the first number for petrol efficiency
    Use the second number for averted petrol consumption, compared to another car.
    Use 219 wh/mile for pure EV efficiency

1 person likes this.
  19. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Kill-A-Watt

Tracksyde, Which Kill-A-Watt model do you have?

Last week I ordered and received today their model P4400.
    From p3international.com. Shame that it's Made in China.
    I got it on Amazon, $19.99 with no shipping cost.
    Simply to use.
    Hopefully, my PIP will arrive next week.

Do others have a Kill-A-Watt, what model or what other device to measure kwh?

20. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: Kill-A-Watt

I've got a Kill A Watt that I've had for several years. I just pulled it out of the cabinet. It's a Model P4400. Since it's been a while since I bought it, I don't remember what I paid for it, but I believe it was around $20. My PiP will arrive in about 3 weeks, so I plan on using the Kill A Watt. The only problem is there are several public Level-2 charging stations around and I plan on using them. I don't know if they record the power usage. I'll find out soon.