1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Drive: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Richmond, British Columbia - In 2006, almost half of all Jetta and Golf models sold in Canada were powered by diesel engines, and the most popular diesel powered car in Canada was the Jetta TDI. So it was quite a shock when Volkswagen announced in 2006 that it wouldn't be offering any 2007 diesel models in Canada. VW's trusty 1.9-litre TDI turbo diesel just didn't meet strict new 2007 North American diesel emissions standards, a rather embarrassing situation for a company that's been building diesel engine for decades. At the time, Volkswagen's new clean diesel technology was still a year and a half away.

Well, it's still eight months away, but at least we've been given a glimpse of the future. VW's new 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel will arrive in the summer of 2008 in the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI sedan, and in the new 2009 Jetta TDI Wagon. In a special advance test drive, CanadianDriver was able to get behind the wheel of a 2009 Jetta TDI to see exactly what the future holds for patient Volkswagen diesel enthusiasts.

Full Article

2. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    After 18 years of turbodiesel I said enough.

:D

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow welcome back Tramp!

btw, PC said it was your birthday yesterday or a few days ago. Anyway, happy belated!

4. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - for both!

I never left you guys - just in read mode.

Busy with my own forum! ;)

Anyway, to back IT: I have a Prius user that was given as a company car an Alfa 159 1.9 Turbodiesel. While he was good with the prius (5.0 highway (130 km/h) 3.3 home/office) with the alfa he is around 9.0 - and NOT happy.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3.3L/100km?!?!? dang!!

haha. Hmm.. 9L/100km... that's not exactly good. Our old Camry (1,500kg) with a 2.4 litre petrol did 10.3-10.5 and my friend with a 6-spd manual Acura TSX (Euro Honda Accord) at just under 1,500kg and with a 2.4 litre petrol does 9.xL/100km too.

6. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Dang! That is my personal record on one tank. But had to do tons of P&G.

Yes, not good. But you know why? All those filters to make the exhaust clean choke the engine up.

Many here say that a Prius is not convenient compared to diesel. But what diesel? The old and dirty ones, yes - maybe. But not the new ones, with Nox filter and particulate filter. No way!

Even the new Toyota Auris, with a 1.4 clean diesel 90 HP engine, the average is 6.0 l*100 km. The old Corolla with the same but dirtier engine did 4.5...

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. my best is 3.9L/100km

wait.. so the new ones are cleaner but less fuel efficient?? :confused::confused: How does that work? Because of what you've described (the filter and stuff)??

Hmm.. our 1.5 litre Yaris with the 1NZ engine (read: old) with 105hp does < 6.5L/100km average

8. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Documented!

[​IMG]

Please note the mileage and fuel level.

We are talking about diesel, right? The 1NZ is a petrol engine. ;)

Diesel engines never had a throttle that limits air intake, but limits the diesel injected in the piston. Therefore a diesel has no pumping loss and this is the main reason for their high efficency.

Unfortunately this created tons of Nox, while particulate (PM10) has always been a niusance (the black puffs).

There are two ways of reducing Nox:
    1) You choke the throttle (hey! We got pumping loss)
    2) you inject diesel after burn, in the exhaust collector - pre cat.

PM10 is more of a niusance - they are collected in filters and, every 500-1000 km the engine runs in a special mode to burn what's in the filter. creating PM2.5 - some say it is more dangerous than PM10.

This special mode burns extra fuel and can work only is the engine runs above 2000 rpm. A problem for those who use cars in big cities.

Mazda had a serious issue with their DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) equipped diesels: if the regeneration was missed, diesel started to dilute the oil, which then made the check engine light goes on, the car goes in safe mode and have the whole engine reserviced.
    The official solution is to do a motorway run (over 2000 rpm) for 20 minutes when the DPF light comes on.

Not quite the best eco-friendly solution!

You can read more about it here: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2004/session12/2004_deer_seguelong2.pdf

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    holy crap! 1000kms and half a tank left?? how come you never posted in the "I Beat the EPA mileage?" lol. you can be competing with those Japanese folks.

I like how your fuel gauges goes R, 1/2, 1/1 lol. What was the final tank? 1,600?

Hmm... I tihnk PM2.5 is worse. It's finer and your nose hairs can't filter that out so it goes straight into your lungs.

So if that's the case, what's the big hoo-haa about diesels anyway? It seems like everyone who hates hybrids are touting diesel as the holy saviour.

10. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I did post there. :p

:confused:

What do you have? E F?

I don't know. :)
    Since the next day I had to to a trip, I filled her up before leaving: I don't like filling on the road since motorway fuel is more expensive.

USA and Canadians are expeiencing that cicle we had in Europe in the 90's.

What I showed you are the problem we are facing after 15 years of growing diesel supremacy. last year 60% of all cars are diesel, and if you remove the city cars, that percentage goes up to 90%.

Now diesel is losing it's popularity because:
    1) diesel cars are more expensive to buy and maintain
    2) diesel fuel was by far cheaper, now it costs about the same. Since our diesel is becomeing cleaner (less and less sulphur) it is becomeng more expensive to produce.
    3) Newer cars consume more than they did previously. See previous post.

Pretty soon the used cars market will be inondated by used diesels that nobody wants. So much for keeping their value.

Oh, I'm so happy that I have a prius.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently I didn't see it lol.

Yeah it's E and F

Awww.. ok

Interesting. Yeah over here, diesel goes for $1.12/litre. Petrol is $1.08/litre. VW sells quite a number of diesels (esp. since they're the only affordable diesel option. The other being Mercedes and to a lesser extent, Jeep).

I think it's the "we want what we don't have" mentality. IOW, we don't have a lot of diesel options, they look and Europe and quote the percentages you quoted and say "see, Europe is far more advanced than we are" and so forth.

12. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first had a diesel (Fiat Uno Turbo Diesel: 1350cc - 72 Hp) diesel was 590 lires, petrol was 1410 lires. Diesel cars had to pay a special road tax to compensate the lack on income tax on petrol. For the Uno was 375000 lire per year.

In 1990 they abolished the diesel road tax but the price of diesel went up to -25% the price of petrol. When the Euro came petrol was just 1€ and diesel 0.75€.

In the meantine the sulphur was reduced to max 350 PPM and will have to be reduced to 50 PPM by 2009. Today petrol is 1.30€ diesel 1.25€ and sulphur free diesel costs as much as petrol.

How much suphur is in your diesel?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. I never kept tracked of diesel since until recently, diesels were pretty rare and stations are few and far between.

I don't know the actual content but we've switched to ultra low sulphur diesel (IIRC, it's lower than your current sulphur standards.. so lower than 350 PPM.)

14. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our ULSD is 15ppm.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

so our ULSD is even low than Europe's new standard? wow.

16. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    While getting morally slapped I did a few researches.... :D

In the 80s, PPM limit was 350.

In the 90s, reduced to 50.

By 2009, if has to be <10.

I can give you italian links. :D But wiki comes in hand: ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel

At the European Union level, the “Euro IV†standard applies since 2005, which specifies 50 ppm maximum quantity of sulfur in diesel fuel for most highway vehicles[7]; ultra-low sulfur diesel with a maximum of 10 ppm of sulfur must “be available†from 2005 and is actually widely available. A final target (to be confirmed by the European Commission) of 2009 for the final reduction of sulfur to 10 ppm, which will be considered the entry into force of the Euro V fuel standard. In 2009, diesel fuel for most non-highway applications is also expected to conform to the Euro V standard for fuel. Various exceptions exist for certain uses and applications, most of which are being phased out over a period of several years. In particular, the so-called EU accession countries (primarily in Eastern Europe), have been granted certain temporary exemptions to allow for transition. Certain EU countries may apply higher standards or require faster transition.[8] For example, Germany implemented a tax incentive of €0.015 per litre of "sulphur free" fuel (both gasoline and diesel) containing less than 10 ppm beginning in January, 2003 and average sulphur content was estimated in 2006 to be 3-5 ppm. Similar measures have been enacted in most of the Nordic countries, Benelux, Ireland and the United Kingdom to encourage early adoption of the 50 ppm and 10 ppm fuel standards.[9]

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. that makes more sense.

"Europe.. the leader in diesel falls behind in emissions, overtaken by petrol-hungry USA."

That would be quite a headline lol.

Alright.. so sulphur is lowered... what about NOx, HCs, and particularly (no pun intended) PM?

18. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A

Since 1991 (yes, I know, 20 years after America) we started adopting emission limits called Euro 1. Now we are at Euro 4, with Euro 5 and 6 proprosed for 2009 and 2014 respectively.

You can read all about it here as well as consunting the tables with the various emission limits.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pretty drastic cut to PM for diesels, no?

20. The Tramp

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Drastic but necessary. The effects of inhaling particulate matter has been widely studied in humans and animals and include asthma, lung cancer, cardiovascular issues, and premature death. The size of the particle is a main determinant of where in the respiratory tract the particle will come to rest when inhaled. Larger particles are generally filtered in the nose and throat and do not cause problems, but particulate matter smaller than about 10 micrometres, referred to as PM10, can settle in the bronchi and lungs and cause health problems.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulate_matter#Health_effects

The problem in discussion now is that DPF disintegrates PM10 to Pm2.5 and PM1, which is not measured and therefore legal. :mad:

The problem with such fine particles is that DO NOT settle in bronchi and lungs but go into the blood streams and end up in liver, kidneys, etc.

From the frying pan to the fire....

If you understand French you can watch this http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSect=500000#page=lastvideos;vid=7554697 and keep in mind that Switzerland has much less diesel cars than the rest of the EU.