1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Drive: 2014 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2014 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid First Drive - Autoblog

Notable tidbits:

• Officially, Porsche says the S E-Hybrid can go "more than 20 miles" on electricity alone, and we were able to travel 24 miles (under moderate acceleration and with the air conditioning on) before the engine came on.
    • The S E-Hybrid's top speed for all-electric driving is quite impressive at 83 miles per hour (overall top speed is 167 mph)
    • The battery can be fully recharged from a 240-volt power source in just 2.5 hours
    • Since Porsche wanted our test car returned with a full battery, the second part of our route was driven in E-Charge mode, which was able to fully restore the battery's charge after about 30 miles. During this stint, we were much heavier on the throttle as we enjoyed some of the region's fine mountain roads. The S E-Hybrid was still able to return 8 liters/100 km, which converts to 29.4 mpg. Considering how hard we were pushing the heavy car and the fact that the system was in E-Charge mode, this number is probably even more surprising than the economy we observed during the first part of the drive.
    • ... Instead, the side compartments of the cargo area have been sacrificed due to the additional plug-in hybrid system – a total of four cubic feet has been lost. That drops the available cargo capacity to 11.8 cu-ft with the seats in place and 40.7 cu-ft with both seats folded forward.
    • The S E-Hybrid commands [...] about $6,000 more than a base Panamera S, but Porsche is banking on premium customers being more likely to pay a premium price for a plug-in vehicle

austingreen and JMD like this.
  2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Impressive range and only $6k more? That not much of a premium relatively speaking.

3. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very impressive...especially on the E-Charge mode. I hope Porsche enthusiasts hate this car, so it will depreciate quickly, so I can afford it...:ROFLMAO:

uropip and San_Carlos_Jeff like this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Porsche nice cars until it's time to repair or pay maintenance. Then it will turn you upside down and shake you around until all your money falls out. :)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I know. An open-minded Porsche enthusiast might give it a try. $6k for more performance isn't anything to sneeze (Ferrari and Porsche charge you way more than that for their hardcore performance models). It doesn't hurt that you could sneak away silently or loudly as you so choose.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    500/year, until they call it quits.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    if you can afford one.. don't worry about it!

JMD and austingreen like this.
  8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I want one because it's so practical! NOT!! But I still want one....

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    it sure is practical and especially from this maker.. .. a Porsche with 4 doors! who heard of such a thing until recent..

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you put it that way, it makes it easier for me to justify! I've been a fan of Porsche since the 80's but it is such an extravagance in my mind. Especially as I'm getting older it seems more so. I don't care - I still want one.

I was thinking on my way in to work this morning that for the most part, the majority of drivers, for the majority of their driving habits, only need a PTV, or Personal Transportation Vehicle. When you think about it, it's such a huge waste of resources that we drive around 1.5 to 3 tons of mechanical devices just to move from point a to b. Before the auto, we rode around on horses or in a buggy pulled by one or several horses. But I don't recall in my history books seeing one person riding in a small buggy pulled by a team of 30 horses. Don't ask me why I was even thinking about all this today - stuff sometimes just pops in my head.

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    yes, we humans wastes.. and some a lot more than other.. when you start trying to justify a lot of what we do, it's in extravagance. Look at all those cars that are over the top, high performance SUV's, talk about weight and power.. M X5, Cayenne GTS.. not only the weight but the enough power to do 1/4 mile times impressive for a sports car! Makes no sense to me.. yet sadly there's a market. I've always favor light weight car as you can't hide weight in the turns.

Yes, we can all do without.. capitalism at it's best/worse?.. I make up for the luxuries by riding and racing my bikes. On a good day, maybe hit 1HP. lol..

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    BTW, the M X5(E70) 1/4 mile is 12.5 seconds! That's not a luxury but a necessity.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I wonder, what is more practicle, a Lexus LSh, or a panerama-s-e hybrid. The porsche is $20,000 less expensive and 0.4 seconds faster to 60. From a fuel consumption point of view there is no comparison the porsche sips fuel, the lexus chugs it. You can seat more people in your lexus, but..... how many people actually do that. I guess if you have the money to pay for a cheufer the back seat of the LSh is nicer;) If you like to drive your own car, its no contest the porsche wins.

The porsche panerama also looks like a pratical bargain compared to the porsche 918, its only about 1/7th the price and has similar electrical bits. The big differences are with the 918 you get a porsche racing engine, instead of a common super charged audi mill. The 918 has a super car body, and acceleration.

Now compared to say a chevy volt, camry hybrid, or tesla S, its not all that practical or inexpensive.

14. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree, if money is no object than by all means take the plunge.

The Panamera plays in a very competitive 100K sports sedan market. The Panamera witnessed a huge success of Maserati in NA.

Now the porsche hybrid plug in is very impressive and may capture the enviro buyers but Tesla is the car to beat now and that is a tall order

image.jpg

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Though Lexus LS series are gorgeous, the Panamera is a different car all together. Talk about excess!

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla S beats all the cars in the panamera's class in sales for the US

GOOD CAR BAD CAR: Large Luxury Car Sales
    But there are buyers that will want the panamera's handling and like the way porsche does interiors. The nice thing about this car is porsche is saying the way to add more power elegantly is through phev, not a bigger engine.

JMD likes this.
  17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    what I notice is when it comes to luxuries at this level.. there isn't a right or wrong.. just yes, it's expensive and it right because I can afford it.. :p

JMD and austingreen like this.
  18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I love the driving experience of a 911, its simply incredible, and the cars are reliable for that class of performance. The boxters are simply delightfully engineered for a rag top. I don't really get the Panamera, but some people wanted to cross a porsche with a four door sedan. I like the way they electrified and improved this though with the phev package.

The adding the hybrid parts to the LS didn't really do much but increase its price and weight. It didn't even greatly improve fuel economy.

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Perfect example.. justify?.. so as long as I know it costs more than your's. I just watch in dis-belief. But perhaps only because I don't have the money to blow..

austingreen likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It increased the power and added AWD (until Lexus offered an LS460 AWD a year or two later). It was supposed to be the flagship LS - the one that competes with the S600 and 760iL. It was meant to be smooth, quiet and unassuming. Compared to the V12 rivals, it's a bargain. Compared to the V8s, it's not looking so well (esp. with the S400 Hybrid and upcoming S350 diesel). Isn't Audi and Jaguar bringing their V6 luxury cars to NA? (or have they brought them already?).

Unless you get the Executive Package, then the LSh has the same seating capacity.