1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Gen Requirements

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 30, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the next generation plug-in/EV cars come out, used first generation cars should be significantly affordable. That is how we got our 2003 Prius in October 2005. Combine that with cheap gas, this should be a buyer's market. So what am I looking for:
    • Power house too - my first Prius mod was a 1kW inverter and we have used it every year. This alone has been worth several thousands of dollars.
    • Tow - our second modification was a tow-bar and we've used frequently.
    • Range extension - we need to take at least two trips per year to Nashville, 120 miles each way.
    Now to research the vehicles versus my requirements.

Model provide 1kW AC 120/220 tow bar 150 mile range
    1 BMW i3 ? 168 hp rear drive range extender option
    2 Volt ? front drive range extender std.
    3 Plug-In Prius ? front drive hybrid mode
    4 Energi C-Max ?
    5 Energi Fusion ?

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ford has the Energi for both the C-max and Fusion. @20 mile EV range with higher speed and acceleration threshold than the Prius, but lower gas fuel economy; FWD.

Leaf if you want to make a towable range extender for it; either a generator or pusher trailer. Depending on the value of your gen1, perhaps make a pusher out of it.:)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I appreciate the thought but such solutions are unlikely to include modern catalytic converters and high efficiency. Worse, it becomes either or between the extender and towing my load.

I am on the fence about the Tesla since it is rear-wheel drive, plenty of power, and has 'mass' meaning the tow load would be less of an impact. I have an open mind about that one.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Tesla S also has an actual tow rating of 1000lbs.

The i# REX uses an ICE from BMW's motorcycle line. Not as clean as a car, but motorcycles do have a 3 way catalytic convertor installed now. Most home built pusher trailers are just a FWD car cut off after the firewall. It's why I suggested your current gen1 as a possible donor. A mid or rrear mounted engine donor car would be easier to keep the existing exhaust and emission controls intact without modification.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If towing is a must for this vehicle, and not just pass towing duties to the gen3, then scratch off the i3. As I said, it uses a motorcycle engine, and is also light weight. Without disabling the CARB hobbles, the ICE will only come on when the SOC is near empty(20% I think). At that point there isn't enough reserve juice in the battery to drive the car up extended, or steep inclines, and maintain its regular power output. If it does have the power to tow, the brakes designed for its weight likely won't be enough combined with a trailer.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i imagine gen I volts and leafs should drop the most, because there are so many on the road. and the batteries should be good for awhile if they weren't abused with heat and hard driving. volts liquid cooling may even preclude those problems.