1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Prius Camping Trip complete with Generator and HVAC system.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by smharmon, Jun 4, 2014.

1. smharmon

smharmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

I did some light research and hope I am posting this in the right place. My first day on the forum...

Here is how I made the Prius into a HVAC system, generator and cargo hauler:

I've had my Prius over two years now. I'm an armor officer and live a pretty rough, dirty and active life with the Army. Most of my buddies drive trucks, SUVs and sports cars. If I drive a 72 ton Abrams tank at work, I just don't feel the need to look "manly" in my car. I can't help but chuckle when I'm made fun of... The hatchback, MPG rating, comfort (even for a 6'1" 220 soldier) and ability to pack two Army tough boxes and gear in the back sold me on the car. It has been great.

Since the first few months of ownership I made a few modifications to help the interior survive my Army life. Husky molded floor liners keep the mud out of the carpet and Cover King Neoprene custom seat covers keeps the fabric clean. The windows were tinted to include a UV blocker clear layer on the front window to keep the heat down. That is about it until about two months ago.

My wife and I have recently been stationed in California and never lived there before. Being from the south, we haven't had the chance to visit the West Coast, the Grand Canyon, Sequoia trees, and the list goes on. We decided to take every moment to travel with out twin three year olds and see the sights. We've been traveling often, literally every month but have been using my wife's SUV getting 16 mpg the whole way. No matter how hard I tried, we just couldn't fit everything we needed for camping in my Prius. We realized that spending $500-1200 a month wasn't sustainable. We've decided to shed the hotels, the inefficient car, and go camping instead. The only problems: cargo space, kid boredom, and a comfortable night's sleep in various temperatures.

Here is the list of modifications I made to make traveling easier and fix these problems.

• Installed Reese Towpower Hitch from Amazon for $109 (I installed it myself in about 15 min)
    • Purchased 2" to 1 1/4" adapter from Amazon for the cargo basket we already owned for $24
    • Purchased 20 feet of sewer hose from Amazon for $13 for a tent HVAC system
    • Added Velcro to the Driver Side A/C vent
    • Spouse built a custom "adapter" from the A/C vent to the 20' sewer hose from scrap vinyl
    • Used scrap vinyl for a window cover
    • Installed the adapter, basket and added a tough box and cooler I already owned
    • RCA DVD Player $95 on Amazon
    • Installed a 400w power inverter to run the kids' soundmaker, chargers and lights at the campsite
    • 1500watt Energizer power inverter standing by for emergency use
    We will test this setup this weekend. All we are missing in the photos are our three duffels with clothes. Most our food fit under the cargo area floor and the cooler. The green tough box is full of cooking and camping supplies that won't be hurt in the rare chance they got wet.

With a few hundred bucks and some imagination we will have A/C in the tent, electricity at the campsite (many of the ones we have reserved for the summer have zero power), and room to move all our gear. Security isn't a problem. You'll notice the basket and tough box are chained to the car. It isn't going anywhere unless they have special tools.

I'll report on how well the hose vents to the tent. All my experiments at home have proven it works great for cooling a tent. Gas expenditure will be minimal whether using heat or cold, and the 20' hose keeps us plenty far away from dangerous exhaust. I've used the sewer hose idea on my HMMWV in the winter and it works great but you have to run the diesel engine all night to stay warm. Same idea here, but with a fuel efficient system. It is amazing how much air flows out of the hose after closing off all other air vents.

Someone may have done all this before, but I wanted to share. I'll report after our long weekend camping.

Thanks for reading and please post any of your generator, HVAC and cargo carry solutions.

Stephen

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

#1 smharmon, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    CapeAnn, vvillovv, haole man and 2 others like this.
  2. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you just pulling power off the 12v system?

3. smharmon

smharmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I've been hooking the inverter directly to the 12V battery terminals. The A/C runs of the traction battery just like if the car was sitting still.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like a good setup. Quite a few of us here have run similar inverters from a Prius (various models) with good results.

You can draw a maximum of 100 amps on the 12V circuit, as the supply from the Prius DC-DC converter is fused at that value. It's a difficult fuse to replace, so if you plan to hook up your 1500 watt inverter to the 12V, I'd recommend adding about an 80 amp fuse between the 12V battery and the inverter; hopefully in the event of an overload this would blow before the Prius fuse.

Look forward to hearing how well your air conditioning connection works!

Estew808 likes this.
  5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just don't feel the need to look "manly" in my car. I can't help but chuckle when I'm made fun of...

Just mount a spare .50 caliber on the roof. Cuts into the MPGs a little but *nobody* tailgates you...

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1st off welcome to PriusChat. Looks like u've got a pretty good setup. Look forward to hearing about it experience when u get back

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very, very ingenious! great write up and pics. all the best in your travels and thank you for your service!(y)

8. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PRIUSchat!!
    Nice set-up(y)!!
    I like your idea on using A/C:cool:;I'm going to do something like that!!:)

9. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. smharmon

smharmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the help and I read through pmike's post in detail. Looks like a fairly easy install with positive results. We are leaving for the grand canyon in just a couple hours. I'll report on how the HVAC idea works.

11. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to make sure that you realize the thread I linked to is someone else's thread. The thread is named "My install and review..." and is not my own.

I am in Central Florida near the coast and considering doing the AIMS Inverter.

12. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sorry, this is out of topic

what is your thinking about "Cover King Neoprene", is that durable or your comments?
    How much did you pay?

Thanks,
    Canta.

13. smharmon

smharmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I ordered from ebay and Amazon. I bought the back from "Amazon Warehouse" and the front from ebay. These are the "CR Grade" Neoprene (not the "neosupreme") and are waterproof. I jump in my car with Army gear on, after physical training soaking wet in sweat and throw 75lb tough boxes on top of the seat covers every week (I spend 14 days out of 30 in the field here at Fort Irwin). Not a tear or scratch. When my kids get them filthy I just rub them with a wet towel and they are good to go. The photos are the current condition after two years of use and 17,000ish miles a year. I can't really tell any change to how they were brand new.

I paid about $135 on Amazon for a used, but like new rear cover and $160sih on ebay for the front pair. That is less than half the cost new from CoverKing. Both purchases arrived in "like new" condition.

14. smharmon

smharmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, time to report on the weekend.

I got 43.9 mpg on the way to the Grand Canyon. 409 miles one way (almost a full tank of gas). Even with the cargo basket and an estimated 1,100 lbs of cargo! The back end was almost on the bump stops and I think we hit them twice going over big bumps. The trip home got 43.1. Both of these measurements are from fill up to fill up divided by mileage. Not trusting the computer. The 43.1 on the return trip is overall and included about 12 total hours of running the Prius at night, at idle. Negligible difference in my opinion! Especially after going from our 16-18 mpg Pacifica for this family trip. It ended up being 42ish degrees both nights and heat was needed over A/C.

Using the A/C heater hose...

Our tent is too big! It is a 7' tall dome and is 10' by 10' on both sides. Massive! The other problem I haven't considered (this being the first time we used the tent out of the package) is that it is 75% mesh. It is a summer tent that uses a rainfly and about 2" of space to keep the tent ventilated. No way to heat or cool that much space with it being all mesh. What someone would need is a smaller tent (4-6 person) designed for winter, or with the ability to close all vents.

As an alternative this works great: Get everyone in their sleeping bags and cover up with a tarp or large quilt (I have twin 3 year olds remember, so too easy) and put the hose underneath. Plenty of warmth then! We used a sound machine (running water) to cover up the noise from the engine cycling. No complaints from other tent sites (fairly far away) and we were very comfortable. Running heat at full blast caused the car to cycle on about every 10-15 minutes for 2ish minutes in 40ish degrees. I think it was cutting on more to maintain coolant temperature than to keep the battery charged. It doesn't come on near as much with A/C.

No issues whatsoever drawing power off the 400 watt inverter on the 12v battery.

cdltpx likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great report and sounds like a fun trip! how was the canyon, did you walk the glass floor? any signs of the ghost of evil knieval?:cool:

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really great job you have done, this time that you are spending with your children is precious. You, your wife and especially your children will recall and value these remembrances. I wanted to do this sort of thing during my 10-20 year span in the AF, but had to be satisfied with a 1966 VW bug and being stationed in Japan, Germany and Vietnam, however there were things to see there also. Not to put a damper on your accomplishments, Toyota strongly advises against any sort of a trailer. So keep a sharp eye out on applicable weak points. Maybe go to a 3rd party. NOT Toyota. Again Congradulations.

iPad ?

17. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you grill block your Prius, while camping at the Grand Canyon?

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good question

iPad ?

19. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I appreciate the ingenuity, I don't think the A/C or heat is going to work well. It looks like you're only ducting air from one vent, and you're doing it through a 20' non-insulated tube. Even with all of the other vents closed you are still losing a lot of your cool air to them, and there will be a substantial thermal loss through that long hose.

If you get the chance, could you measure the air temp coming out of the hose into your tent?

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've done this type of family tent camping and only have the hybrid (with HVAC) as a backup "plan B" if the weather gets too extreme. Otherwise, it's "shut up and tough it out kids". You might want to explore the tent design that connects to the open hatch and treats the open car as an extra room.

I had the exact same home made video setup for our two kids before finally getting a van with a better built in system (wireless headphones for the kids so I could listen to another audio source on speakers).