1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First refill of 8.366 gallons for 425 miles on my first tank after 2 weeks: I expected more.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by DKTVAV, Jun 17, 2012.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just refilled my first gas tank on the first beep of the last bar:

- Computer said 49.7 MPG
    - My basic math is 50.8 MPG

I'm driving 2/3 freeway and 1/3 city so I'm kind of low of 53 MPG in city as stated from manufacture. I got the same 2 weeks period to refill my 1997 Toyota Avalon with 16 gallons and 370 miles, meaning I'm driving more, but don't know I save a lot from buying my C4 or not.

The way I'm driving is pissing a lot of people behind me: from stop to speed limit either in the city or on the freeway I always manage to see the odometer counting from 1 and not skipping any number and driving at speed of 55 on freeway. And always shift to Neutral when I see the traffic light ahead turns yellow to reach the intersection. Switching from ECO to NORMAL doesn't change anything. My tires pressure are 43/41.

What else do I need to do to improve mileage?

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't want to shift to neutral. If you want to shift to slow down at a red light, shift to "B" which gives you a more aggressive re-gen and may put a little more energy into the battery. I did that for a while and now feel that just lightly stepping on the brake does just as well for re-gen-ing energy into the battery. But you shouldn't put it in neutral.

Re: What else do I need to do to improve mileage
    Check your tire pressure. I run 44 psi front, 42 psi rear.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you learned pulse and glide?

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can use neutral if and only if you do not need to brake to reach the stop. Otherwise you're wasting a regen opportunity.

I would in fact say not to use neutral. Instead, practice gliding.

5. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Actually if you are doing more highway driving than city.. I would think you are right in line with 50mpg since that is the median mpg that the C is rated. You mentioned that you got 370 miles with 16 gallons in your Camry. Well if you are putting 8.8 gallons in your C then you are getting more miles in your C with half the about of gas. So getting a free tank of gas every other fill up practically compared to the Camry. Of course as you drive the C more and get better at the driving style, the better gas mileage You will get :)

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And the EPA claims 50 MPG so you seem exactly on track

US law states that if the manufacturer state any MPG, the EPA numbers have to be larger, as such, very few manufacturers ever give any MPG numbers at all, they use the EPA numbers. I would be interested in where you saw Toyota use any numbers other than the EPA estimates.

Please quit driving like that. Why should all Prius drivers be tarred with the brush that some drive annoyingly for no reason? I encourage no braking, or if needed, gentle braking, in D. (not B, not N, not R ,and not P)
    Quit shifting into N would help a lot. you cannot use the motors to recover energy in N. Stay out of N as much as you can, neither Motor can act as an Generator in N, so the HV battery discharges. (B is for long steep downhills, and almost always wastes energy, as that is it's intent. Use B where you would use L, almost never)

I would leave it in Eco and drive normally and see if you do not get good gas mileage without being annoying.
    Eco will help as the area you are in becomes summer and needs HVAC, but I do not know the area you are in.

alekska likes this.
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    AC use ? I'm not suggesting you do without, only that you take it into account if your target is EPA.

I suggest you break down your fuel economy into highway and city segments, so that we know where to focus. Along the way, learn P&G and stop neutral driving. My first guess is that you can save on some brakes use if you anticipate traffic a bit better.

Stay optimistic, there is a good chance you will eventually do much better

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So what do you think about:
    • driver position comfort?
    • noise?
    The reason I ask is Consumer Reports also thinks these are important. So I'm curious if you found either to be deficient?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

9. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am curious what you were expecting. I have about 2100 miles on my c and the overall average is 50.1...I do quite a bit of highway driving and I almost always drive 4 miles per hour over the speed limit. I drive it for the most part just like any car...I also use cruise control a lot on the freeway. To me, the car does fantastic.

It gets better mileage overall then ANY other non all electric vehicle.

10. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think my 43/41 is good enough.

I've read some infos about pulse and glide but not sure exactly what it is.

I'm living in Orange County, Southern California.

Yes, I use AC. But not full time: turn it off when I feel cool enough and back on when it becomes hotter.

To me, CR is right about noise but the driver position is OK with me.

I can hear all the noise around of other vehicles on freeway, also wind noise is loud. Turn the volume up helps a little.

I've seen people posting more than 60MPG, even 70+.

11. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes people have gotten mpg's that high but that is strictly in town. Highway mpg is much less and if you are doing two-thirds of your driving on highway, then you will get much less :)

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be aware that saving 10 MPG at 50 does not save anywhere near as much gas as saving 10 MPG at 10 MPG.
    10 to 20 is saving 50%, 50 to 60 is saving 17%

Max MPG Driving Techniques Youtube Video | PriusChat
    Your meters will vary, but the ideas are the same.

13. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Realize that those reporting very high mpg numbers are lucky to have optimal commutes, and not representative of what most will ever achieve! Fuelly.com currently has 52.5 as the average among C drivers who post there. Read about pulse and glide, ask questions and I'm sure you'll be doing even better in short order.

14. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    People are giving you bad info. Do not shift to neutral- you won't regenerate energy when slowing down. And don't shift to "B"- that doesn't regenerate energy, either. "B" mode turns the engine into an engine brake.

Just brake. They're regenerative and that's what they're there for.

Rebound and xpcman like this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Define "very high"

17. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OP is referring to those who post tanks ranging in the 60's and 70's, I just mean that's a number most will not achieve with their commute! I've seen numbers like those on individual trips, and high five myself when it happens on my 2010, but just have to accept low to mid fifties for a tank average.

18. Fippin

Fippin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I thought B mode DOES regenerate? When I have my long downhill on my commute home I put it in B and the blue regeneration indicator almost maxes out.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It does regenerate and it also helps moderate battery temperature. Charging an NiMH battery is exothermic, they get hot, which is not good for the battery pack. The original, 2001-03, battery modules are especially at risk. So I recommend folks use "B" to moderate speed when descending large, 500 ft., and steep hills.

Bob Wilson

Fippin likes this.
  20. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It really sounds like nothing is wrong here. (Other than using Neutral, but others have already explained that one). You're driving mostly on the highway, with an engine that isn't broken in, and you're getting exactly what the EPA estimates the car will get combined city/hwy. Plus, it's just your first tank. It will get better as the engine breaks in. My first tank was high 40s, second was 50, third a little over 50, and the fourth is shaping up to be higher yet. There is nothing wrong, except maybe your expectations. 60s and 70s are (unfortunately) the exception, not the rule. Give it time :)