1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Test ELRs Roll Off The Line

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, May 31, 2013.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Very nice! Slightly jealous. hehe. I'd take on in white.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the price I'd take a Model S but the ELR is a dead sexy car!

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tesla won't meet my distance requirements, so I'll have to settle for the ELR. :p

F8L likes this.
  5. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I watched the video and the dude said after about 35 miles of EV range the generator will kick on. Is this a true EV with a generator to extend range or a HyBrid with extended EV range like the Prius Plug in?

6. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The ELR is powered by GM EREV technology, combining pure electric drive and an efficient, range-extending 1.4L gasoline-powered electric generator capable of 154 kW (207 hp) of total system power.
    The drive train is derived from but more powerful than the Volt. (Volt rated at 149hp).
    The ELR has a improved suspension and a luxury interior.
    It includes regen-on-demand paddles on the steering wheels, which should be a lot of fun.

You can find more specs at
    Cadillac ELR Product Synopsis and Specifications (linked from GM Media Site)

And some nice videos at
    GMtv Multi Player 290px

F8L likes this.
  7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ In a nutshell is is pretty awesome!

8. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I could do without the 20" wheels, ride quality and ease of damage and weight are a no.
    So this is the Volt that never made it to production until now. This is a cool car that GM could do well with.

9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)WOW, what a looker. Will be interesting.

10. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great, but not enough for me. I'm very glad GM did the Volt first.. I think the ELR is nice, but overpriced for what I personally look for in a car. I'd probably choose a Tesla if I went into a price range much higher than the volt. (Though ELR price is not yet announced )

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A five seat, Volt, sounds like a plan.

Bob Wilson

12. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nah.. ELR is 2+2.. room for 5 would be a Volt CUV..

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This doesn't quite make sense to my "logic" side of the brain. The article say's:

"The ELR will also offer drivers more control over the car using steering wheel mounted paddles--not for gearshifts, but varying the regenerative braking effect of the electric motor. Pull one of the paddles as you slow down, and regen is increased for quicker deceleration."

I just don't get that? Why would I want anything that influences braking, outside of my brake peddle? Seems to me, unless I'm handicapped or otherwise impaired, braking should be a singular input action, controlled singularly through the brake peddle.

Why is it a good idea to vary the regenerative braking effect? Seems to me your just asking for trouble, braking should be as automatic and singular in action as possible. I really don't want someone braking and also thinking "Should I use my paddle shifter?".

Of course I haven't test driven this vehicle or any vehicle with this capability so maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole concept in theory and application, but it just sounds like a weird and potentially bad idea.

Sergiospl likes this.
  15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...interesting video....but am I being dense here?

If it is "Regen on Demand" does that mean the "regular brakes" aren't regenerative unless I use the paddle shifters? It still doesn't make much sense to me.

That's an "option" I don't think I want or want to have to think about. I'd rather it be like the Prius brakes, where I simply press them....as the situation dictates, and the vehicle itself applies regen as possible. Why would I want Regen on Demand....or "Extra Regen on Demand"?

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Umh.... I would use the paddles for downhill regen, slowing on the highway, etc..., and one set of brake pads for 150,000 miles?.

The ELR looks fantastic, but maybe priced close to a base Model S.

18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still don't get the "advantage" of two separate braking inputs. On my Prius I will get regenerative braking downhill, or slowing on the highway....simply by using my brake peddle.
    Also I'm still not clear as to what Cadillac means by "Regen On Demand"? If it is "extra" regenerative response, why not just give it to me automatically through the brake pedal?

If it's binary...either regular brakes through the pedals...OR Regenerative on demand through the paddles, that seems like a step back or down from just the automatic regenerative brakes of a Prius.

19. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I think of if as downshifting in a manual. Your question is tantamount to asking why would anyone want to shift without the shift nob?

I drive my volt in such a way as to almost never touch the break pedal, except to stop. I use Cruise Control on the highway and/or shifting to Low as I vary the accelerator pedal force to reduce speed for hard turns, off ramps, where I known I want to scrub some speed but not want to stop. If I had a manual I would downshift in those circumstances. I save braking for when I want to actually stop. I think its mentally clearer.. use shifter to slow when you don't intend to stop, and the brake when you do intend to stop.

The ELR will likely also have all that regen in the brake pedal as well, just as the Volt in D has all the regen int he brake while the volt in L has much of the regen on the accelerator pedal.

After years of driving my instincts are touching the brake pedal is wasting energy.. I find separated slow and stop "though" processess allows me to be more efficient. Took a while but now I'm far more comfortable with it.. and when I do have to drive an ICE I don't get messed up as if I want to stop I'm going for the brake.

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think that the "selective regen. braking"for the Cadillac ELR is more than a redundant and confusing feature to make the vehicle sound like a spaceship. As a sale feature will be a great SWAG, not an item for the Cadillac brand fallower.