1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Toyota Care Service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DoubleDAZ, Nov 18, 2014.

1. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As the title says, we had our first experience with Toyota Care yesterday. The dealer we use is Larry H Miller Toyota in Peoria AZ and our service manager is Amanda. She is very young, but very professional, and is the nicest service manager I have ever met. She had called early last week to see if we were ready for our 5,000 miles service. I had told her we missed that because we were on vacation, but we’d be ready for the 10,000 mile service the following week. So, we made an appointment for yesterday at 1:30. As it turned out, we hit 10,000 during a weekend trip to LA, so the schedule worked out great.

We dropped the car off 30 minutes early. She asked if we had any questions about Prius operation, if we wanted a complimentary exterior car wash and told us the service would take about an hour or so. We left and 55 minutes later she called saying it was ready for pickup. There was no attempt to sell us anything and I was surprised they didn’t try to sell me a cabin air filter considering it’s a bit discolored. I had already checked both air filters and set some indicators so I’d know if they performed everything they were supposed to, especially rotate the tires. They did that, topped off the washer fluid and even did a battery check, though I have no way of knowing what that involved other than it being listed on the invoice.

Speaking of the invoice, the bill would have been $86.05 ($36.05 parts/$55 labor). Considering a 5-qt container of Mobil One is about $30 at Walmart and about $40 on Amazon, I didn’t think that was too bad a price even though I know Discount will rotate tires for free. The invoice did show the parts prices were discounted from their list prices, but I don’t know if that means I could have bought the parts for that price without having them do the work. The only thing I forgot was to tell them what air pressure I run in the tires.

This morning, I checked everything and found the oil level is right on the mark. I filled the tires to 40/38 psi and we’re good for another 10,000 miles. Needless to say, it was a pleasant experience I need to check the schedule to see what’s needed at 15,000 miles because we’ll skip the tire rotation since we missed it at 5,000 miles. If that and checking filters is all that needed, then they’ll see us again at 20,000 miles. We have a 5,000 mile trip in February followed by a 7,500 miles trip in May, so chances are I’ll need to find a dealer in the Savannah area and we’ll get to compare.

Needless to say, I was very happy with the experience, especially after reading some of the stories here, and after dealing with GM service with our old Montana van, though that was many years ago.

ftl likes this.
  2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Ask your service writer to annotate your computer record with your preference for synthetic versus conventional oil (especially if you are going 10k on a change) and your preferred tire pressures. Since the service at least checks the tire pressure, you don't want them reducing it to the recommended if you want it higher.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going in for these free services, you can never know what oil they give you. Even if you pay for your services, you would never know if they actually put synthetic oil in your car. If it's important to you, best you do it yourself.

I always feel businesses try to cut corners to maximize their profit. Kinda what Jiffy Lube pulls on it's customers. This happens in every industry, you never know what you actually get.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they have donuts?:love:

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not that cynical. If they put 0w20 on the invoice, I believe that's what I got. I've changed the oil myself plenty of times in the past, but never because I mistrusted the shop, independent or dealer. I change oil in high school and part time after that at times and never was I or anyone I worked with even tempted to cut corners. But then I've never lived in LA. :)

Okinawa and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It has nothing to do with being cynical, it's just how businesses operate. They maximize profit. Like when you need to recharge your AC system at home. How much freon do they really add? Can they add 1lb and bill for 5lbs? Nobody really knows and no harm is really being done.....just like an oil change. You really don't have the expertise yourself in doing everything so you'll just have to live with leaving it to the experts that may or may not rip you off.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My record already indicates synthetic, but I may ask about the air pressure at the next visit. As expected, they did reduce it, but I'm not overly concerned about the pressure because I have a compressor and check it fairly often. When we go to Cocoa Beach in February, I may try it higher going and then reduce it to recommended coming back just to see for myself if it really does impact mileage and affect the ride. I'll be taking the same route to/from, so doing so might yield some useful info before I buy my first set of replacement tires.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know they do in the morning, but it was right after lunch and we dropped it off, so I didn't even go in the waiting room. I'm on a CKD diet (kidney disease), so it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other. :)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chicken, kale and dinner?

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Winner winner chicken dinner.":)

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny how an innocent post about a positive experience with a dealer turns into a discussion about whether or not they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, sigh.....

#11 DoubleDAZ, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    $55 to drain oil is "not too bad" ??

No wonder wealth is concentrated in this country.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should've stuck with donuts.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you mean you should sell donuts, I agree.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i could have bought a franchise 30 years ago for 25k, now they are over a million.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The provide donuts and coffee, because it attracts those who are not really likely to do their own work and more likely make judgments based on image over substance.

Those who "go with the flow" and keep on averring to "don't sweat the details" do not understand that the details are the most important points to good service.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for comparison, my DIY oil change parts costs, all purchased at Toyota dealership parts department (Canadian dollars):

Filter: $8.53
    Drain bolt washer: $0.98
    4 liters of Toyota 0W20: $22.60 (4.2 required to bring to top mark) ($5.65 per liter)
    Total: $35.97

I occasionally by an extra liter, do put in the .2 liter, so total cost a bit higher. So, I don't save much, but hey.

19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't believe you people, you darned well know what I meant by that. $55 is not too bad considering it was a dealer and it wasn't just to drain the oil. Even independents around here charge $75/hour, not that I'd pay that unless I absolutely had to. And many others here have said they paid more, so I was just relaying my experience. After 4 months, I guess I should know better though. Fortunately, there are some helpful people here who don't just sit around waiting to criticize those who don't do their own maintenance.

And yes, had I done it myself, it would have cost $36.05, but it didn't cost me anything except 2 short trips, not even as far as Walmart. And why in the world would I do it myself when it's included? I'm not paranoid about dealers like so many folks here. Since 1970, I've only had one bad experience with a dealer, or even an independent, and that was partially my fault. I can no longer do my own maintenance, but when I did and could have someone do it for $14.95 plus tax while I spent some time talking cars at the local shop, why wouldn't I?

And I couldn't care less if they offered coffee or donuts, I don't drink coffee and I'm not supposed to eat donuts. Someone "sort of" asked the question, so I responded. However, if I need warranty work or just want to stop in to check out a new vehicle, I appreciate that I can get a bottled water, etc., just like at our credit union, our financial advisor's office, etc. Some dealers now have restaurants too, though I've never eaten at one. Heck, even Gas Monkey has a restaurant in Dallas now :)

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no offense intended DD, we're just gabbin' here.(y)