1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing interior scratches in dark gray (or light for that matter)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rrolff, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Saw an exterior scratch thread, and thought I'd start an interior one...

I can't be the only one to be getting scratches on the interior plastics. They mark up like crazy - and I'm pretty good at not transporting (at least buffering) things that scratch...

My initial thoughts are to take a heat gun to them (not to melt just to soften), and pat it down... Has anyone tried this????

2. gussy

gussy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have spoken to Toyota customer services who tell me that they are not aware of problems with scratching.

My wifes Prius is only a month old and the lower glove compartment cover is already scratched.

My belief is that the plastic is far too soft - I have been driving more years than I care to remember, and never had this problem with other cars.

? Is there a fix ? Who else experiences this problem.

3. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can try the 'Mr. Clean Magic Eraser'. It is a VERY fine adbrasive. But test it on a hidden surface first.

Marvinh

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing new... my 97 Camry had the same problem. Also my 99 Sub OB also was easy to mar. I just ended up living w/ it.

5. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too have the scratches on the lower glove box from my girls purse:yell:. I would love to know a good way to get them out. They really stand out to me. She thinks it hilarious btw.

6. gussy

gussy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really think there is a problem here with the choice/specification of the plastic in some of the mouldings - I hope that an answer can be found or Toyota acknowlede the problem ans fix it!!

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not expecting Toyota to (spell check ack) fi anything - interiors scratch and get messed up. I'm guessing my new III (dark gray interior vs old III light gray) idea helps in general with day to day issues.

I am quite sure that a heat gun (yes you may not have it) will 'melt' the protruding plastics and make it look fine. I'll play int he next day and get back with what happened....

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe someone mention they tried the heat gun but it started to melt and lost the texture in the area. Be careful!

1 person likes this.
  9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could always go test drive a new Prius from a dealers, drive round the corner where you've already left your own car, swap the glove box doors over and then return the test drive car with scratched glove box door. Simple.

Only down side to this course of action is that it is theft and could land you in serious trouble, so I certainly would not recommend you do it! :mod:

10. durant7

durant7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is a scratch in plastic anyway? Unlike paint which has layers of different color, plastic scratches are different than paint scratches. Now, I do not have issues yet with the interior of my Prius but I am an old Corian (solid surface) guy.

Plastic scratches if put under high magnification is really a bunch of what appear to be "white feathers" of plastic that have been removed from the "parent" object. Knock these feathers off and the scratch visually is much reduced.

The question is what can you use to knock these feathers off without also changing the texture of the parent plastic item. General back and forth rubbing will tend to knock them off and thus hide the plastic scratch. Sometimes a pencil eraser will work. Or a fine 3M pad might but be careful.

We also will see that using some armour-all also tends to hide these feathers. Given this info, see what you can do. The plastic is a solid color unlike paint.

Some info, worth what you paid for it on any public forum. YMMV.

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep I used an armour all type product on a rag and used my fingernail behind the rag to scrap off the edges of the scratch, now i can't see it any more.

12. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have some 303 Protectant that I am going to try - maybe along with slight fingernail pressure behind the rag. I used a soft lead pencil on a couple scratches which helped some. I was thinking about gray creamy shoe polish but it is not easy to come by in most stores and matching the colors is tough online.

13. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Armor All- type products work well on the light scratches. It seems to "nourish" the plastic material, removing the scratches and making the area less likely to scratch in the future. I did all of my plastic door panels with STP Son of a Gun. They look much better and the small scratches are no longer present. Just apply it with a soft cloth, let it sit for about five minutes, and then buff it off.