1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flash flooding, water inside - car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jakethehawkeye, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Jakethehawkeye

Jakethehawkeye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Northwest Florida where it had a flash flood yesterday. My car was in a parking lot where water backed up about wheel-high, and I got a bunch of water inside. I managed to get my car home safely, though I had to go through a couple places with some water buildup. I got out most of the water last night, and put rice inside to soak up some moisture.

Today, my car won't start. The keyless entry worked, I got inside and went to start it, and then it flashed the check engine light and the snowflake light. I'm not sure about others, but I know those two came on. The check engine light stayed on for a minute or two, and then went out. Now the car is completely unresponsive.

Does anyone know if I just need a jumpstart, or if something else might be wrong? I parked on a upward slope with the intention of getting the water to pool backwards, but I wonder if it did something to the battery? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Check the 12V auxiliary battery in the back, as many members have reported leaks and standing water in that area.

Nexus 4 ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you need to do a more thorough investigation of what might have gotten wet. o/m says not to drive thru standing water, so there might be some critical components that need drying or replacing. hopefully, it didn't reach the battery box, i don't know how well it's protected from water below.

4. Jakethehawkeye

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to try and get a jump start (though they said it'd be about 5 hours, because of how many calls they have today). Hopefully it's just a dead battery or something.

What gets me is that when it was in standing water, it started. After I baled out the water and got off work an hour or two later, it started. But after sitting all night, now it doesn't. The fact that keyless entry worked and warning lights were able to turn on, but the engine wouldn't, makes me wonder if there was either a short with the engine or the battery used up its final bit of energy trying. A short is my big fear - could that ruin anything expensive?

I just got this car about a week ago (used, no warranty), and am worried something big is already messed up.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    since the keyless and dash work, the 12v is probably okay. water that seeped in probably soaked something overnight and finally killed it.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the car was closed up with water inside condensation could be the problem. This will wet areas above where the water is actually standing.
    The best advise I can give at this stage is to disconnect the 12 volt battery and dry the car out with a dehumidifier after mopping up as much water as possible.
    Leaving the battery connected can and does eat away the printed circuits of ECU's if they have water on them it will also corrode connectors in the wiring.
    I have bought several water damaged cars as insurance salvage in the UK and these are the real problem areas. Other problems relate mostly "sometimes months down the line" to wheel bearing problems if water gets through the seals when they are immersed.

John (Britprius)

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you called your insurance? The car should be a total write off.

Sorry for the whole thing. I just heard Pensacola got 2' of water and saw the footage on the news. I live west of you and we got 1'. I thought it was insane. However, I live next to a creek and nothing bad happened.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery is in the rear and I'm afraid it's not waterproof.

You don't want to jump start it in this condition, as it's not safe and can cause more damage.

9. Jakethehawkeye

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

I had someone come jump start it last night, and it ran fine. Everything worked like normal. I shut it off, restarted it on its own, and everything worked like normal.

This morning, I went out and it was dead again. I got a battery charger, hooked it up, and it shows that the battery is full. I connect everything back up, climb in, "open door" light is flashing on the dash. Think everything will be fine. Put in the key, go to start it.... and it's dead. After that, the open door light isn't even on any more.

If something was wrong with the electrical components, I don't think it would've started on its own last night after getting it jumped. If the battery was toast, I wouldn't think it would show up as being charged when I hook it up to a battery charger.

At this point, I just don't understand what the problem could be, unless it is the battery and it's just carrying enough juice to flash a warning light briefly, and then trying to start it finishes it off.

10. CatsAreGods

CatsAreGods Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's totally weird, so it's probably something funky electrically. See if you can retrieve any OBD codes, but it will probably be intermittent until everything dries out.

Nexus 4 ?

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you make sure the battery negative connection to the body is tight and clean? That bolt gets loose, and a bit of water will make for surface rust. Given your description of the door open light going out, it looks like a loose connection got corroded a bit more.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the tightness of the battery cables, especially the negative cable where it bolts to the body.
    2. If you don't find a problem there, replace the 12V battery. It might have low capacity due to age, so although it quickly will charge, it won't produce much power and will quickly discharge.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Easy and quick way to test Pats hypothesis is to turn on the headlights and while watching the headlight's have someone make the car READY. This after I guess you get another jump or charge. With headlights on see how much they dim down when the car attempts ready. If they dim completely upon READY boot the 12 volt battery is shot.

14. Jakethehawkeye

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RESOLVED: when water got inside the car, it messed up the radio transmitter underneath the passenger seat, causing it to draw energy even when the car was off. The dealer said the 12v also tested bad, though I'm not sure how much that had to do with it. Now that I removed the transmitter, everything is back to normal - minus a working radio.

CatsAreGods likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a tsb out for the JBL amp under the seat where the turn on circuit would always be on.

16. Jakethehawkeye

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After some googling, it seems it's not covered since it's out of warranty. But would there be any way to possibly repair this, rather than replacing the whole unit? The dealer quoted me at just under a thousand to fix it, which obviously isn't going to be happening. But if there were some easy way to fix it, that'd be great.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The unit under the front passenger seat is the JBL audio amplifier. This is not a transmitter. Contact autobeyours.com to see if you can buy a used unit. That probably will be a lot less costly than trying to have a local stereo shop repair the audio amplifier.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure its repairable unless the output circuit got fried and that's repairable too just would be around $150 plus pull and re-install. Other than it always on did the radio sound ok? if no sound I wouldn't put any money in that 9 year old amp especially since it went swimming.

Most folks abandoned that crappy JBL amp and upgraded the radio to a better head unit. Amps and head units are really cheap now. Spend some time in the electronics/mod thread and see what people have done as far as radio upgrade.

Can't afford that then take it to your local stereo joint and they can throw a replacement amp that will sound better in there for around $400 otd.

19. Jakethehawkeye

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I asked at the dealership if it had to be a specific amp to replace it, they told me it should be - but how many amps would actually work? As long as the in and out have the same number of pins, should any such amp be compatible? Obviously if you plug a USB in and an HDMI out to your computer, the final picture output will be different based on how good the computer is, but does the same thing apply to a car amp? That is to say, as long as you can plug in the input pins and output pins, should any amp work to some degree?

20. waynetc

waynetc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to check your oil right away and see if there are any beads (of water) on the dipstick. If the water was high enough and got into the ICE somehow the engine may run fine for a while and someday just destroy itself. I had this happen with a Passat. It was a nightmare. I flushed out everything after the flash flood and thought I was in the clear. The car was worth 6300 and the insurance co put 6000 into it to repair it. I was stunned they did not total it. It was never the same again.