1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

flashing air conditioning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wba, Jun 10, 2007.

1. wba

wba New Member

My air conditioning light periodically starts flashing (cool air flow stops). Turning the air off and back on restores cool air for a while then it cuts out and starts flashing again.

Any suggestions or pointers to maintenance directions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check your cabin air filter.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pittsburgh Bill @ Jun 10 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]459237[/snapback]</div>
    Bill, I remember finding information about this problem for someone but I didn't save the link. Anyway, doing a google search for flashing air conditioner light brings up a ton of links like this:

http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/toyota-ca...5OFMQ8CGJNLGO89
    http://www.2carpros.com/topics/ac.htm

The first recommendation is to change or clean a filter. There are few auto sites easily found with a search. Happy hunting until the resident mechanics chime in.

4. wba

wba New Member

Thanks! I'd googled myself silly but never tried A/C!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 10 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]459268[/snapback]</div>

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds offhand like a magnetic clutch relay. classic symptom.

6. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would suspect a low coolant (Refrigerant) level in the A/C system.

If so, you probably have a very slow leak at the compressor. Eventually, the coolant level will become so low that the system will not allow the compressor clutch to engage, wich will effectively end ALL the cold air!

Just a guess though, taking into account the age (2002) of the vehicle.

You can get a can of refrigerant(R-134) from Pep Boys or other auto supply places, if you know how to service it. See if a little bit more refrigerant stops the light from coming on. It will eventually all leak out though, if you don't get the compressor changed out ($$$$!).

7. wba

wba New Member

Cabin air filter was very dirty. Need a hot day to verify fix.

Thanks all.

8. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pittsburgh Bill @ Jun 10 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]459237[/snapback]</div>
    If it does it at an Idle I would check the voltage going to the ecectromagnetic clutch coil while it was pulled in or turned on. Ensure you have 12 volts present. If there is an electrical connection that you can remove without breaking something then you can check the voltage there. It is highly likely that it is not the coil that is bad but the relay that sends the voltage to the coil. The button you push energizes a coil and the main line on the coil sends the voltage to the clutch coil. The relay cost between $7-15. I do not know the exact location but it is easily located as when you turn on the A/C the relay clicks and you can physically feel it. Do you have a multimeter to check for DC Voltage?

D Rock

9. wba

wba New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jul 3 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]472332[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, D R

An earlier reply suggested cleaning the air filter that's behind the glove box. It was really dirty and seemed to have solved the problem but I may have a couple of issues as cleaning the filter seems to have slowed the frequency of occurrence but not completely eliminated the symptom.

I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    switch the magnetic clutch relay with the horn relay and see if it fixes the a/c. they're right next to each other in the junction block.

if you open the hood and look on your right, there's a square box that says relay and fuse. flip the lid up and you'll see the diagram to tell you which relay is which.

11. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 4 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]472758[/snapback]</div>
    That is a great troubleshooting skill if you do not have a multimeter or are not electrically inclined. Great post.

12. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pittsburgh Bill @ Jul 3 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]472352[/snapback]</div>
    Since cleaning the filter affected the magnitude of the problem, it may not be clean (uncogged) enough. Put a new filter in; it doesn't appear to be designed to be cleaned, anyway. Nothing but 15 bucks to lose and the weather is only getting hotter.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jul 4 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]473223[/snapback]</div>
    or if you do have the multimeter, are electrically inclined, but the faster you figure things out the more money you make. ;)

14. SaxyBiz

SaxyBiz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 10 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]459268[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't had to perform this maintenance procedure yet because my Prius is new, but I found this hyperlink which show the whole procedure in detail. I thought it might be helpful to others

http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius...oner-Filter.pdf