1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat tire repair kit (non OEM) & your experience with 'Slime' brand?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davekro, Nov 12, 2013.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd like to hear if anyone has experience with 'Slime 10011'* flat repair. Or, if you have replaced the factory repair kit (that is gauranteed to ruin the pressure sensor if used) with a Slime brand kit. Various Slime brand kits from Amazon:
    Amazon.com: tire repair kit slime

We know you DO NOT want to use the factory repair kit unless you have absolutely no choice because:
    1) it ruins the pressure sensor ($200 dealer fix)
    2) Replacing OEM kit is $134
    3) Then you get to actual tire repair cost at dealer: plug tire $19, mount and rebalance $35

After reading several 'road side assistance' and the ensuing hassles threads, I want to see if I can prevent that by carrying a better on the road repair system. From my reading, it seems that while Slime brand says it is safe with pressure sensors, it is still only a temporary fix. You'd need to get to a tire shop soon and pay to have them remove the tire, clean out the goop and plug/patch the tire, then remount, rebalance. If the flat happened either for me on the road, or was a slow leak and my wife could get it home, the best fix is for me or a shop to install a plug. I am told the OEM compressor can only be used in conjunction with the supplied liquid repair container. So you must empty that first to use the factory compressor to just add air. I'll have to look into that. See if adapters are available. The first thing I will do it add a plug kit (that includes rubber cement!) to the car. This won't help my wife, but if I am there, the hassle to plug on the road is MUCH less than the road side assistance/towing route. And make sure she is able to add 'just air' in a pinch.

What has your experience with 'Slime' brand products for on the road repairs?

All the above is aside from getting a Corolla donut spare and carrying it always (or at least on planned long trips). This discussion is for those trying to avoid the donut option if at all possible.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This topic has come up since the spare-less PIP was introduced.
    Many here carry the TPMS safe Slime product in their PIP... how many have actually used it?
    Your guess is as good as mine, but the first item from your link (Slime 70004 Power Spare 48 Piece Tire Repair Kit) got 4.5 stars with 61 reviews on Amazon and many there have actually used the kit w/good results.
    I'd use the Amazon customer reviews as a guide as to how well the kit works.
    If you order the "Slime 7000"kit- be sure to replace the "ATV/Mower" Slime goo that's included w/the kit with the correct Slime goo for automobiles.

FWIW- I carry a Corolla donut spare for out of town trips too...

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just carry a donut spare tire also! $ 35 dollars at junk yard, straped down in cargo area.

4. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I won't trust Slime brand or Fix a Flat. I hav eheard reports of them causing sensor failure. I'll just carry a compressor like the Slime 40022 and a plug kit. Most of the time the compressor should get me or my wife home (so tire can be plugged, hopefully). My test results of the Slime 40022 compressor i boght today (Walmart and Amazon $27.95). I think it will do fine for me.
    I tested it on PIP's P195/65 R15 tire (at Walmart):

1) I set PSI on unit to stop at 55 psi. Tire had 43 psi to start. It shut off in 5min: 45 secs (actual pressure 56.5).

2) Set psi on unit to 80 psi. (Start at 56.5 psi) The unit hit 62.5 PSI on the units digital gauge. I had run the unit for an additional 4 mins, then shut it off (max 10 mins run time per instructions).

3) Even though it was plugged into a 10 amp cigarette lighter, it ran fine. The plug did not get warm to the touch (nor the wire).

4) Several hours after returning home, I removed the valve stem , let all the air out. From zero psi: With unit set at 80 psi. Ran for max recommended time of 10 mins. 8 min- 36 psi; 9 min- 39 psi; 10 min- 42 psi

5) [after cooling unit for 35 mins, (25 rec.) ] Continued inflation from 42 psi: 5 min- 54 psi; 7 min- 59 psi; 9 min- 62 psi; 10 min- 64 psi; 11 min- 66 psi

Redpoint5 likes this.
  5. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today I put my Tire repair kit on Craig's List for $100. My local dealer quoted $184.77 for the kit (includes sealant and compressor. Cannot buy separately he said). Don't know if I'll get any inquiries. Not sure who would be in the market for this kit. But hey, it's worth a try. ;) If no go on CL, it's over to eBay.

Is this unique to the PIP, or does the RAV4 or other Toyota come with this same kit? If Rav4 has bigger tires, the kit may be different due to more sealant and maybe a bit larger compressor??

6. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not sure about the RAV4, but the new Accord Hybrid also comes with the sealant/compressor package. I can't imagine the repair kits are too different.

7. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I carry the Standard Model - Tire Plugger from Stop & Go.

Used it on three separate occasions when I had a smart fortwo. It’s fairly easy to use and helped lower my concern for traveling without a spare.

When I bought my Prius I bought a small Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator to go with the Stop & Go Plugger. Haven’t needed it so far, but I plan on avoiding the OEM solution if possible.