1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lamp takes a hit in my Prius v.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Passthepump, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Passthepump

Passthepump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My left fog lamp took a rock today and broke the glass. The bulb and the surrounding area are undamaged. It was ONLY the glass. Whats the best way to get this replaced asap?

1. Get the part and tackle it myself? Degree of difficulty?
    2. Take it to the stealer?

I believe I need part # 81220-06070. It looks as if the part will cost $126.00.

I look forward to all replays.
    2013 Prius v 5

Attached Files:

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Drive front end up on ramps for clearance, remove left lower splash shield, detach left fog lamp wiring harness, remove left fog lamp housing, replace with new, re-attach harness, replace splash shield, back off ramps. 20 minutes total?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many replacement options available. Aftermarket on eBay, oem on eBay, oem from salvage/junk yard.

Also, many Toyota/Lexus models have the same foglights: Sienna, Camry, Corolla, Rav4, RX, ES, etc. The differences are in the shrouds surrounding the foglights, those are model specific, but yours will be reused so you can just get a foglight from from any compatible model.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much would it cost you if you went through your insurance?

And, don't take this the wrong way, but: the odds of flung-up rock damage really goes down, the more space you leave to the vehicle in front of you. Not saying that's always the case, just improving the odds.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it were me, insurance would be off the table. If there is a deductible involved, then probably not worth it.

SCH-I535

6. Passthepump

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I stopped by the dealer today to get a part quote: Part # 81220-0w040, $205.32. I think I'm going to attempt the repair myself. There are 10 bolts securing the plastic skid plate which i hope will give me full access to the light. Now all I have to do is find the OEM light online. The best price so far is $125.00. More to follow soon.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As mentioned above, you only need to gain access through the access panel below the foglight. One screw and two fasteners to remove, bend the panel down.

Here's a replacement on eBay for less:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=310370141039&alt=web

Here's another one:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=360914554047&alt=web

Sent by me from my SCH-I535 with this included signature to show I have tapatalk

If you prefer Amazon, you can get a complete kit:

Amazon.com: Fog Lights / Lamps Kit OEM Replacement for Toyota Prius (FL-TY060-AC3): Automotive

Then you'll have a spare light for the passenger side, and a nice switch that fits into the blanks in your dashboard, in case you want to control some other modification or accessory.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Or you could ditch the fog lights and install Toyota's DRL kit on both sides.

9. Passthepump

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The replacement light arrived today. Love Amazon Prime. I found the OEM light for $142.00. Im going to attempt the install tomorrow.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Refer to the stickied thread on the oem foglights in the Accessories and Modifications section of the gen3 hatchback.

It has a link to installation instructions that should help.

11. Passthepump

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I love when a plan comes together. The replacement fog lamp is in........and yes it works. Here are the stats:

Install time: 30 mins (aka 1.5 beers)
    Price: $142.00, Amazon + the cost of 1.5 beers
    Demo: 12 bolts (10mm), 1 screw that holds the light in place and the first plastic skid plate under the front of the vehicle. I voted to remove the entire skid plate for easier access.
    Part and install quote at the dealer: $205.00 part + $120 to $150 for labor = $355.00
    Dealer: $355.00
    My cost: $142.00
    DIY savings: $213.00

The OEM replacement light comes with a new bulb as well. This procedure would also have to followed in order to replace a bulb if needed. The light comes with 4 mounting tabs but only one screw is used. 2 of the tabs slide into a braket and the last tab is not used. The electrical connect is simply plug and play. Helpful hint. I marked all the bolt holes with tape so I could find the holes quickly (hold all perverted comments please) for re-install. The slid plate looks like swiss cheese so the tape is a big help. I don't have a floor jack or ramps so it was a bit of a tight fit but I managed just fine. If you have a broken lamp or burned out bulb go for it. I am by no means a mechanic but I do know my way around a tool box. I hope you guys find this post helpful and help take some of the "i can't do it" out of your mind.

Air_Boss likes this.
  12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats, as long as you're happy with your savings.

Using an aftermarket, oem quality replacement would have saved you a lot more.

It's like paying for brand name vs generic for prescription medications. Same quality/effect, but if you need the peace of mind from paying more, then that's your decision.

SCH-I535

13. Passthepump

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Im not a big generic parts buyer. I find that OEM parts are worth the extra $$$ and peace of mind. Now meds....well thats a different story. I guess I like my Prius more than my health.